brand new Pop up or Travel Trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Topolino

Since you guys have become my gurus on RVing I figured you all would be the best to answer this.  If the price is pretty close would you prefer a last years model on a travel trailer (leftover) or a brand new pop up?  We are looking at an Fleetwood Higlander Avalon and the Keystone Zepplin '06. 

One of those questions that will eventually come down to personal wants.  We looked at the pop-ups, and the hybrid (hard side trailers with canvas pop-outs), and eventually got a full hardsided TT with a small slide out.  Some people will cite security in the pop-ups and hybrids, and some will say in extreme weather they don't "hold water"...so to speak.  But again, depending on how and where you use it, a pop-up or hybrid may be fine for you.  I think though if you do a lot of camping, you will like the TT better.  There's much less set up involved, and if you need to stop to potty and eat lunch, it's much easier in the TT vice a pop-up.  I'm very glad I went with the TT.

Just my opinions...don't hold 'em against me.

Topolino said:
Since you guys have become my gurus on RVing I figured you all would be the best to answer this.  If the price is pretty close would you prefer a last years model on a travel trailer (leftover) or a brand new pop up?  We are looking at an Fleetwood Higlander Avalon and the Keystone Zepplin '06.   

If you can pull it, the TT.  The decision tho is going to hinge greatly on the tow rating of your truck.

I would even take a used TT over a popup.  If the price is close, go for the convenience.

If you need  alow profile trailer don't forget the HI -LO  or one like them  They are great for towing  Weight is all low to the graound and less wind ressistance.   I too would suggest the TT over Pop-up.   Whatever you do   Enjoy.

I called the car dealer and they told me 7,000.  I just feel that with the travel trailer is very claustrophic (for the ones we can afford) compared to the Avalon but the convenience is nice of it being setup.  And I have a behemoth of a garage yet a standard height door, so I wouldn't be able to get a travel trailer in out of the snow.  (Northern Maine here) I hadn't even thought about a hi lo.  :-\ 

Well, if you're going to be parking it in the garage, your options are definitely limited.  If affordability is an issue, you probably won't be able to find a hi-lo either, unless you get lucky with a pre-owned.  Those buggers are pretty spensive!  After looking at that Avalon, that's a pretty spiffy pop-up.  Definitely about as close as you can come space wise to a TT.  But being in Northern Maine, I would worry how good a job that fabric covering would do keeping you warm on those chilly nights.  To get beyond the claustrophobic feel in a TT, you really need a slide.  Even a small slide like mine (just the sofa slides out), makes a world of difference.  I mean a world of difference.  But the downside, at least in your case, you would have to store it either outside, or somewhere else (RV storage place).  Anyway, good luck with your search.  It sounds like you're ready to go, you just need something to go in!!

I would definately look at used  Far better deals out there than on new. at much less expense.  Hi -LO's are out there but you really have to search.

Topolino said:
I called the car dealer and they told me 7,000.  I just feel that with the travel trailer is very claustrophic (for the ones we can afford) compared to the Avalon but the convenience is nice of it being setup.  And I have a behemoth of a garage yet a standard height door, so I wouldn't be able to get a travel trailer in out of the snow.  (Northern Maine here) I hadn't even thought about a hi lo.   :-\ 

I would be careful about car dealer estimates of tow ratings.   Look up the ratings yourself on the Trailer Life Website by clicking HERE..    That garage door does sort of limit  you to the pop-ups or tent trailers.   Popups are not necessarily lightweights so do be sure of tow ratings and trailer gross vehicle weight ratings (GVWR).

Carl has made a good point.  Never, Never, Never take a dealer or salesmans word when it comes to tow ratings.  It is your safety not thei9rs so that have nothing to loose if they give you bad info but may be able to close a deal by lying.

Well from the great web site that Carl L said (thank you BTW) I found out that my car dealership did in fact tell me a little white lie.  Lucky for me they erred in caution.  According to the site I can pull 8000 lbs.  Which is perfect.  We also found a '06 Coachmen Spirit of America (new) which came out being cheaper then the pop up. AND has enough room for all of us to sleep in beds rather then something that folds down.  So thank you all for pushing me to look at the travel trailers.  Ya think shop'n'save will mind losing a few light pole bases because I practiced backing up?  ;) ;D ;)

Congrats on the purchase,  glad you are happy and dohn't worry about the light standards, they probably have more than one.

The dealership gave you a ballapark estimate, better lower than higher.  I have a desk copy of the site Carl mentioned and we look at that BEFORE going out on the lot.  Can't tell you how many folks are surprised when they find out what it really is. 

The other thing you should know is to have plenty of allowance on the weight.  For 8000 lb cap in Maine I wouldn't want to pull much over 6500.

We use 1000 as a minimum difference, but dependng on how you will camp and where you will camp I would increase that number.

The full criteria we recommend around here are: 

1.  If you are towing in the eastern part of North America use 90% of the tabular tow rating to give you a safety factor.

2.  If you going to tow in the mountain or Pacfici west, make that 80% of the tabular rating to allow for the altitudes and grades out here.  If you have a turboi-diesel or other type of supercharged engine, you can stick with the 90% factor.

3.  Use the gross vehicle weight rating of the trailer, the GVWR.  Base/unladen weight is a bit of a fictional number.  The GVWR is the max the trailer should be loaded and it can be found on the DOT plate on the left side front of the trailer.    The only substitute would be the actual scaled weight of the trailer as loaded for travel with all fluids on board.  This weight would be available only if you already own the rig and are looking for a truck, so we generally use the GVWR.

Carl is almost right.  The unloaded weight posted in the trailer has typically been without added options and no liquids.  However, some mfg's are now getting actual weight after options on a scale.  They are still in the minority, but some are doing it.

Carl is the model of safety, if you stick by his numbers you will be safe.  Might not have the wife and kids stuff with you, but will be safe.

;)

Carl is the model of safety, if you stick by his numbers you will be safe.  Might not have the wife and kids stuff with you, but will be safe.

If you buy a trailer in which you cannot have the wife and kids stuff in it and still stay at or under the GVWR, then....

1.  You got the wrong trailer OR...

2.  You got too many kids, OR...

3.  Your wife is going to have to start leaving her amateur blacksmithing tools at home -- those anvils do weigh up.

Sorry I am the wife so you are beginning to loose me and starting to scare me.  Did I make the wrong choice?  We have only put down a deposit so I think we can still change it.  Here is what we have.  2002 Yukon XL  Denali the towing guide says 8,000d (d= 3.71:1  axle ratio not a clue asked the mechanic where I work and he said he thinks that is right  ??? ) the camper we put a deposit down on is the Coachmen Spirit of America 26 DBD which the brochure says Base weight 4,381, carrying capacity is 2619, and hitch weight is 580.  Plus we (the family) weigh 560-665  depending on if the dogs come.  We are looking to camp around mostly Maine some of New England Niagara probably being the farthest we would go around here and once a year go to Florida.  This is only a weekend to long weekend thing except to Florida then 10 dayish.  Sorry for being such a pain but you guys know you stuff and who better to ask. 

Topolino said:
Sorry I am the wife so you are beginning to loose me and starting to scare me.  Did I make the wrong choice?  We have only put down a deposit so I think we can still change it.  Here is what we have.  2002 Yukon XL  Denali the towing guide says 8,000d (d= 3.71:1  axle ratio not a clue asked the mechanic where I work and he said he thinks that is right  ??? ) the camper we put a deposit down on is the Coachmen Spirit of America 26 DBD which the brochure says Base weight 4,381, carrying capacity is 2619, and hitch weight is 580.  Plus we (the family) weigh 560-665  depending on if the dogs come.  We are looking to camp around mostly Maine some of New England Niagara probably being the farthest we would go around here and once a year go to Florida.  This is only a weekend to long weekend thing except to Florida then 10 dayish.  Sorry for being such a pain but you guys know you stuff and who better to ask. 

Trailer base weight of 4381 + carrying capacity of 2619 = GVWR of 7000 lbs.  Tow rating of 8000 lbs x 90% = 7200 lbs tow rating with 10% safety factor.  You do not intend to tour the Rocky Mountains, cruise the Colorado Plateau, or drive the Sierra Nevada.    I would say you are good to go.  Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom