Tow truck information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

I will be trading in my lifted F350 for a lowered down truck. I will be pulling a 30'  5th wheel weighing in at 10,500 lbs.
I will be looking for an F250 or another F350. Would it have to be a dually and would it have to be a diesel?
I will be towing to local campgrounds averaging about 75 miles away. No long distance towing.
What is your input on this? It's bad enough having to give up my F350 6.0 lifted dually, but I'm not one to jury rig a hitch just to get me by. Safety first. Thanks in advance.

It doesn't necessarily have to be either of those, but it has to have a sufficient tow capacity rating and payload to pull the trailer and carry the 5W pin weight. Is that, 10,500 lbs the trailer GVWR? If so, the truck you choose needs a payload (cargo carrying) capacity somewhere upwards of 2500 lbs and a tow rating north of 11,000 lbs. If not (i.e. the 10,500 is dry weight), then considerably more.

Some 250's may have the required Payload and most probably have sufficient tow capacity, but you need to check the numbers on each truck and not just the model's general specs. Options, cab style, bed length, engine, rear axle, and tires all have an effect.

You did not say where that trailer weight of 10500 lbs comes from but if it is an unloaded or dry weight it is very likely incorrect. The figure to use for this purpose is the GVWR of the TRAILER. A 5th wheel trailer will require 20-25% of its gross weight + the weight of the hitch (100-125 lbs)+ any anything else carried in the truck as cargo as payload. Thus any truck chosen requires a Payload or CCC of at least that amount. This number can be found on a yellow sticker usually found on the drivers door doorpost. This is the capacity of this PARTICULAR truck as it left the factory and would include any options not included in the base model figures found in brochures etc. Dually? Maybe, it does make a more stable tow vehicle. Diesel?? Depends, towing in the mountains out West  would make it a good choice, otherwise maybe not needed.

if you have a lifted dually just return it to stock height. Most - but not all lift kits can be removed. if its a BDS kit there was no cutting if its something like a Procomp kit you just need to buy new a arms i believe (its been awhile so please dont quote me)

The paper for the 5th wheel says 10,540 dwt, so I presume thats the dry weight.
I need to check the truck sticker in the door jamb for the towing capacity, and axle, and so forth.
Can I find out any of this information needed from the vin number?

I spoke too soon. The vin number only has generac information like where and when it was built, sequence number, so forth.

A VIN can tell you cab type, 2 or 4WD, engine, etc.  It will NOT give accurate Payload.

For essentially local towing, a diesel should not be needed, unless you live in the mountains!

The truck you get needs to have sufficient Payload to handle:  20% of FW  GVWR (NOT dry wt!) + 200# for FW hitch + weight of all passengers, pets, tools and cargo carried in the truck.

I will estimate a 14,000# GVWR or a 2800# pin wt + 200# hitch +800# people, pets and cargo = 3800#.  IF my numbers are close, 2500 / F250 will not work.  Many 3500 / F350 SRW will work, BUT NOT ALL!  Check the Yellow Placard before any purchase!  Almost any 3500 / F350 Dually will work fine.  USE YOUR NUMBERS, NOT MY GUESS!

For a point of reference, the F350 in my sig has a Yellow Placard of 3453#

Keep asking good questions, like this one!

What is a yellow placard? Is that the sticker in the door jam that has all pertinent info?

Mickey G said:
What is a yellow placard? Is that the sticker in the door jam that has all pertinent info?

Yes, and newer vehicles should state the payload for that specific truck.

You're likely going to be around 11.5 to 12k on the trailer weight.
So your pin weight will be about 2300-2400, plus cargo passengers, etc.
I would be looking for something in the 3400 and up payload, and go from there.

Welcome to the forum!

You need at least a SRW 3500 truck for the FW.

I'm in the same situation too, trying to figure out should I buy a new F250 Gas or F250 Diesel. I hate to put out the 10K for a diesel if a gas truck would do the same. Any help?

Welcome to the Forum!

For general information, you will get more responses if you start a new thread rather than reply on an older thread.

To answer your question, or muddy the water, what are you towing and where?  If it is a FW, I would STRONGLY suggest the F350 SRW.  Other than a heavier suspension and about 1200 pound higher payload, they are virtually identical.  Same size, same option list.  Only about $800 new extra for a whole lot more payload.  You will need the payload for an average size FW.

For the gas / diesel question, if this is a daily driver with a relatively short commute, gas has the edge.  Diesels do not like frequent short trips. 
If towing primarily on fairly flat terrain, gas does fine.  If towing at higher elevations or up and down the mountains, diesels are preferred.  Diesel max torque is at lower RPM.  A gasser may be running 4000 RPM up the hill to get the power it needs, where the diesel is quietly turning 2000 or 2500 RPM.
Diesel gets better fuel economy towing.
Diesels cost more to maintain.  Fewer, but more expensive oil changes, more frequent fuel filter changes.  Two batteries.
Diesels usually go much farther before needing a major overhaul and are more durable over the long haul.
Diesels cost $8,000 more, but retain most if not all of this value at resale.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom