hitch weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hopefulrver

Finally, after a hip surgery, fighting tendon problems both knees, I actually quit working! bought a AWD FORD FLEX with tow pkg. and now looking for a small camper. I've found a few floor plans I like within a safe weight (2800-3200), but hitch rating on some is at the max for my flex (450). I  do intend on a weight dist. HITCH system. Safe or would this be pushing the limit or should I consider less tongue weight?

a WDH doesn't lessen the amount of tongue weight that the tow vehicle carries, it simply redistributes  some of it to the trailer axle and the Tow Vehicle front end.  If you start out with 450 lbs of tongue weight from the trailer, you will still have 450 lbs of tongue weight, but the height of the load at the trailer coupler and the ball on the receiver will just be slightly higher.  Personally, I would never try to tow something that is right at the max. capacity for any of the ratings of the tow vehicle.

All of my pickups have had two hitch ratings - one for weight carrying (WC) and the other for weight distributing (WD). WD is always higher. I'm not sure if this method is used on smaller tow vehicles or not but you might want to double-check the owner's manual.

Joezeppy said:
All of my pickups have had two hitch ratings - one for weight carrying (WC) and the other for weight distributing (WD). WD is always higher. I'm not sure if this method is used on smaller tow vehicles or not but you might want to double-check the owner's manual.

Good advice... ^^^^^^!

The most important thing about tongue weight that it is at least 12% of the gross trailer weight if you want  trailer that will tow well and not have to worry about trailer sway.

Then you have to match the trailer and tow vehicle that will be within the tow vehicle tow ratings.

Last use a good trailer brake controller such as the Prodigy P3.  Do not go cheap on brakes as the brakes may be the difference between stopping safely vs an accident.

As Joezeppy says, the hitch receiver rating will have two max weights, one for weight carrying (no WD) and one for a WD hitch.  You must stay within those numbers, but running at the max is OK as far as the hitch is concerned.  My concern would be that a tongue weight in the 400-450 range means a trailer gross weight in the 4000-4500 range  and that is stretching the limits of any Flex. The Flex is rated for a max trailer weight of 4500 and that leaves nothing for passengers and gear in the Flex. The trailer should really be under 4000 lbs (when loaded) for safe & comfortable towing.

Well thanks to everybody that took the time to reply. I will take a few tt off my wish list.

Glad we could help.  I always hate to see someone buy a camper/trailer/whatever, then come on a forum like this and ask if it will work.  Many times, someone has bought a trailer that is going to overload their tow vehicle....sometimes by just a little, sometimes it's an OMG.......you've got to be kidding me!

I have a Winnabego Winnie Drop. The loaded trailer weight max is 3800#. That would put you slightly over your 450# by about 6#.

I haven't looked at these in person yet , but have on my list a r-pod , escape mini , and sonic lite. Would really like a lance , but hard to justify paying as much as what I did for my house.

We were thinking about going a tad bit bigger and a little different floor plan. Looked at Lances online and told the wife we were keeping what we have. They are really nice but way too pricey for w/e and occasionally 5-6 days of camping.

You may want to consider a popup camper.  Your choice of hard shell campers is really limited by your tow vehicle. 

We have friends who had a Flex and bought an 18 ft TT.  Not sure of the weight, but he tore out the transmission in less then 6 months..

Wife has developed back problems, Trailer still on hold. Did have time to look at a few dealership. We have decided small does not suit us. So now its to a pickup and  something a little bigger.  If I could afford one would buy Outdoor or Northwood.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom