Bless Her Heart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They make all sorts of cargo bikes.

America is the last country to embrace bicycle usage it seems. Frankly I am sick of all the vehicle pollution.

We do have lots of bicycle trailers.  With all my baskets, I carry an amazing amount of cargo plus I tie stuff to the back rack and my seat post.

Someone briefly came out with a bike trunk on wheels that had electric assist, but the trailer was just too small and cutesy to be functional. But I could see potential in that idea if they made the trailer more utilitarian and not so cutesy aerodynamic tiny.

Burley makes the most incredible trailers that are so ridiculously lightweight.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=burley+trailer&rh=i:aps,k:burley+trailer
In the campgrounds I've seen people haul babies, dogs, firewood in them.

DearMissMermaid said:
I only spent 25 years working overseas, so I am pretty much clueless.

Then you should know first hand that the US is far from the worst polluter around, and our vehicle emissions regulations are among the strictest in the world.

Quote from: DearMissMermaid on August 20, 2017, 05:36:45 pm
America is the last country to embrace bicycle usage it seems. Frankly I am sick of all the vehicle pollution.

NY_Dutch said:
I'm guessing you haven't spent much time outside of the US.  ;)

The Mermaid made no comparative statement to other countries.
America IS way behind in making use of bicycles as a functional means of transportation. (Commuting to work, shopping, etc.)
And if you've ever ridden in a major downtown area, the pollution can be gagging.

American cities need to make it easier to commute by bicycle. More and safer bike paths. We live in Dover, DE just on the city/county border. It's only about a 10 minute drive to the city center. There are bike lanes in the city but not out here where we live. Too dangerous on our country roads to ride a bike. We lived in Cambridge, UK for 5 years. I made the mistake of driving in town by the University. The bicyclists were out like ants.

And the biggest reason that Delaware has what they do have is mostly because of the ex-governor, Jack Markell. He's an avid cyclist.

I am in Florida and you would think as flat as they are with temperate weather nearly year round,  it would be bicycle friendly every where. But they are super slow to come around. Some areas are working on this, others don't care.

Yesterday I rode to the grocery store.

I briefly go down a highway that luckily has a decent shoulder to ride on.

Just the same, when I know I am going to ride in traffic, I stop and put on my red rear strobe light. This tends to wake up and catch the attention of the driving while texting crowd.

I was lucky, everyone that passed me seemed to give me a wide berth.

Most grocery stores have a bike rack out front I can lock to, but this one does not. There is a stop sign almost on the sidewalk for the pedestrian cross walk, so I locked up my bicycle there. Otherwise I was contemplating parking in the grocery store lobby.

While loading up my bags on the bicycle to come home, 3 RV park residents walked by. One said "You rode your bike to the store?" Being that I had to cross an RR track that we can hear in the park  I replied "No, I took the train over!"

Back
Top Bottom