I'm NOT crazy, I'M SCARED! HELP PLEASE...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shickmon1764

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 slt 2wd, I purchased a 1995 Lance Squire Lite 185s (Private seller)
My truck GVWR 06650 LB (GAWR FRONT 3650 LB and GAWR REAR 3900 LB)
+ Ride Rite Air Bags 5000 for suspension and performance
The TC specs list it at a DRY weight of 1784 LB.

Am I crazy or is this doable?  I love my Truck and don't want (can't afford) to hurt him...
Thank you in advance. :eek:
Monica

You may have to have that pickup truck weighed,  and see if that 1800 lb. camper on it will exceed the trucks GVWR.

Welcome to the forum.

Dry weight is useless.  It should never be listed in my opinion as the ONLY time it might be accurate is when leaving the factory when new.

1500 trucks are usually rated to hold 1/2 ton or 1000lbs. 
If your saying your truck has a GVWR of 6650 you would need to know what your truck weighs with full fuel and passengers and
any other stuff you plan to carry and see if there is at least 1800lbs left over for the TC.

That is way too much camper for a 1500, you will find out for yourself the first time you take it on the highway. You will need a change of laundry when a semi goes by. My dad put a cabover tc on a heavy half and lived to regret it, it was an evil beast in a cross wind.

And the sum of the two axle weight ratings are most likely not your GVWR. The sum of the axle ratings is usually more than the GVWR. That is too much camper for your truck.

That is close enough to a ton for me. I would not ride with you if you are toting that thing on a 1/2 ton truck.

You should have a 1-Ton Dually.
Can you say  "Trade-in"?

Monica, follow the link and look at load ratings, it is a table towards the end of the page. Looks like you are marginal at best but You may have to prove it to yourself by sliding it in and taking it for a ride. I hope your transmission holds out and I wish you the best. BTW did you name him Brad??    http://dodgeram.info/2004/load-tow/1500.html

Way too much TC for that truck. It weighs more than the truck can carry even without any propane, water or food & gear in the camper.  The max payload your truck can carry will be somewhere between 1400 and 1800 lbs without even the driver onboard, so that camper will overwhelm it.  It's also top-heavy, which is a further issue for a light duty truck.

A TC that size needs a 3/4 ton (2500) or one-ton (3500) truck with the optional camper suspension that stiffens the suspension to handle the top-heavy nature of the load.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom