Storing the patio mat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

I want to make a tube type holder to mount to the underbelly of my 5th wheel that would hold an 8' x20' carpet mat. What is the best way to determine what size of pvc pipe is needed? Has anyone else made one of these storage tubes? I have 2 tubes made up of 6" pvc, but they are way too small, so I use them for holding fishing rods.

Can you even buy PVC large enough diameter? If so, I suggest just rolling up the mat and measuring the diameter. Then you'd know the minimum diameter pipe you'd need.
My SWAG is at least 12" diameter and probably bigger.
Do you have a pass through storage compartment? If so, roll it up and secure it with a couple velcro straps or bungee cords, unless it comes with a storage bag, and slide it in.

Hammster said:
Can you even buy PVC large enough diameter? If so, I suggest just rolling up the mat and measuring the diameter. Then you'd know the minimum diameter pipe you'd need.

Nothing better than an actual measurement.  Check length, too!

IMHO rolling is a PITA but if you must, then get an 8' piece of 1-1/2" PVC to roll your carpet around. This will allow you to roll it as tightly as possible. I fold our 8x16 carpet in thirds and then fold it a bunch of times length-wise so it ends up about 3x2x2 and fits easily in a front compartment.

I created the same post a few months back. I didnt realize that I had a bag to put the rug in. Once I found the bag, its a pretty simple easy few folds and it slips in the bag and I can throw it anywhere. I asked the same questions about how big of a tube would I need to store it as you are asking. I predicted about a 12 inch or so.

There is a wide variety of rug fabrics, and each one folds or rolls to a different size. We fold ours (a mesh-like one water flows through), and it easily fits in a storage compartment. To stake it down we have big washers and very long nails, 6" or so. They work great, and we don't stumble over rocks or big stakes.

UTTransplant said:
There is a wide variety of rug fabrics, and each one folds or rolls to a different size. We fold ours (a mesh-like one water flows through), and it easily fits in a storage compartment. To stake it down we have big washers and very long nails, 6" or so. They work great, and we don't stumble over rocks or big stakes.
That is a better idea than rocks. Unfortunately you would need to carry a jack hammer to get those stakes into the ground in many places I have camped. But not here in Florida where everything is a swamp. :eek:

My mat is self draining, has 4 sturdy grommets on each corner for nailing it down if need be.

I fold it into thirds, then accordion style the same width as the bag. Slide it in and it's good to go. Final bag measurement is about 36x18x4 inches for a 9x12 foot mat.

You might find it easier to deal with two smaller mats, rather than one gigantic mat.

Choose mats you enjoy because they last a ridiculously long time. I use mine about 360 days per year.

Tons of choices at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=patio+mats&linkCode=ll2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20&linkId=87b8b3dcb667c70a7633ae4a7ce6258c

DearMissMermaid said:
You might find it easier to deal with two smaller mats, rather than one gigantic mat.

I agree with this for sure!  We've had larger ones that were a pain in the neck.

And also I would not even consider one that wasn't one of the lightweight self draining plastic variety.  We've used other various types of outdoor and indoor/outdoor rugs before....never again

lavarock1210 said:
I roll my mat  and tie it to the rear bumper of the trailer with bailing twine.

Nite-Ize Gear Ties would made super fast work in place of the bailing twine.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=nite+ize+gear+tie&rh=i:aps,k:nite+ize+gear+tie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom