Repacking Dolly bearings - how often?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

I have about 4-5000 miles since my mechanic repacked my Dolly bearings last year.  I left the Dolly sit out in the Pennsylvania weather.

How often do they need repacked?

Thanks!

They should have Grease Buddies on each wheel to grease them.  If not invest in a pair no need to repack.

I agree with Bearing Buddies (The proper name) but make sure you have the proper rear seal. You don't want them pushing grease through and onto the brakes..

Bearing Buddies were designed for boat trailers.. These trailers go into the water so the bearings, suddenly cooling off, often suck water. The bearing buddy is designed to prevent this.

Next: How frequently you repack depends on tire size mroe than anything else.. Smaller tires need it EVERY Trip. larger ones once or twice a year (Every spring for example) but the Bearing Buddies re-pack the bearings..... AS YOU DRIVE and constantly.. No better system.

If you have quality bearings, and if they were packed with quality grease, and if the mechanic did a thorough inspection, and if they were completely clean, and if they were adjusted correctly, and if the brakes were not worn, then you should be good for 12,000 miles.  Lots of "if's" so you make the call.

Bearing Buddies can cause grease to get into the brakes, I would not use them.

lynnmor said:
Bearing Buddies can cause grease to get into the brakes, I would not use them.
I agree. The bearing buddies has a pretty much sealed cap so once you start introducing grease with a gun, the cavity will fill and if you keep filling without knowing, you would probably blow out the grease seal, then you've got a problem with grease getting onto your brake shoes. 
The system I have is a zerk fitting on the end of the spindle. I can grease that without fear of blowing out the grease seal because the grease with take the path of least resistance which will be at through the outer bearing and out the nut.  Even knowing that and just to be safe, I still repack mine now after 6,000 to 8000 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQsEjHJ49OQ

Bearing Buddies are a water intrusion sealer, not a substitute for greasing the bearings. As John mentioned, they are designed to aid the hubs & bearings on boat trailers that get immersed in water during boat launching. Helpful on any trailer that gets exposed to a lot of water.

It's anybody's guess whether your dolly bearings were well greased to begin with, and whether the winter snow/freeze/thaw cycles got water or dirt into the bearings and hub. You won't really find out until you run it and a bearing seizes [or not]. Obviously the safest course is to re-pack the bearings every season, but chances are that is not necessary. However, "chances" is the operative word.  It's one of those things where the odds may be small but the effect can be large. If you happen to be rolling along at 60+ and a bearing totally fails & seizes, there is a slight chance things could get really nasty.

Some folks jack up the axle enough so the wheel can be spun by hand. If it spins easily with no odd noises, it's probably OK. Not guaranteed, but probably.

Your call.

Back
Top Bottom