Need your opinion / advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gps42

We have completed our 1st longer trip with our travel trailer.  We went out to Colorado from the flatlands of MN.  Our travel trailer is about 31' and we are pulling it with a 2015 Chev Silverado Crew Cab.  It pulls pretty good going down 2 lane roads, but when We get out on the Interstate an those semi trucks blow by you at 75 mph, it moves around quite a bit.  I think that I am within the guidelines for weights that I have read quite a bit about on this forum.  I had it weighed before we took off and the weights were as follows:
Total - pickup and camper = 13320
Pickup alone = 6620
Camper alone = 6700
Pickup front axle = 3010
Pickup rear axle = 3610
I still have the original tires (p265/65R 18) and had them pumped up to 45 pounds.  I also have a weight distribution hitch.  The pickup has the 5.3 gas engine with a 3.42 rear end.  Do you think heavier tires would help this, and if so what would you recommend?  Or does the pickup just not have heavy enough springs and shocks?  Or do you think that this is just too much trailer for my pickup?  Or any other comments or suggestions you might have?

A couple of more weights would be nice to figure out how much tongue weight you have, along with what brand and model of WDH you are using. If your hitch was set up at the dealer, I assume the trailer was empty. Now that you have it loaded, the hitch may need to be readjusted.
To answer your question about tires, yes LT tires on your truck may help some.

need a couple more things to get an answer
1) are those truck axle weights when the trailer was hooked up or when it was the truck alone?..... you'll need the 3 numbers when the trailer was hitched
  steer axle, drive axle, and trailer axle
2) the GVWR for your tuck ....from the sticker on the door post
3) the GCVWR for your truck....from the door post sticker
4) the axle ratings form your door post sticker

we can't just look up 2- 4 because it's different for different trucks

You say you have a weight distribution kit, but do you have a sway bar ?

If not get one and see if that helps

Jack L

great point.......but some hitches have integral sway control.  May not need it depending on what he has.....

I'll guess that your primary concern is the "bow wave" of air/wind from those passing semi's rather than sway by the trailer itself. Nothing much can be done about that, but you may be able to make it a bit easier for you to remain in control. Stiffer tires is one thing that might help - change to LT instead of P tires.  They don't need to be bigger.

The greater the trailer tongue weight, the better its towing manners. I can't tell what it is from the numbers you posted, but if you could get it up to 12-15% of the loaded trailer weight, you might feel some improvement.

Is that Silverado a 1500?  Does it have the short box (5.5.ft) or the 6.5ft standard box? Max trailer tow package? Those all have an effect. However, I think you are probably well within the truck's capacity and need not worry much in that regard.

From what you describe, you don't seem to have a sway control problem - just getting pushed around by cross winds.

Those P rated (Passenger) tires make for a comfortable ride, but the LT (Light Truck) tires will have stiffer sidewalls and will likely feel more stable when towing.

This link    https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx    shows a few ways to accurately determine your tongue wt.  It must be 10% of actual TT wt, and 12% - 15% will be better, as suggested above.

While we frequently suggest a bigger truck, it sounds like you should be fine with a few tweaks to your setup.  You have a decent truck and a fairly small trailer.

Happy Camping!!

Thanks for the responses.  To answer some of the questions posed.  Yes, my pickup is a Silverado 1500 with the 5'5" box.  I have a "tow package" but not a "max tow package".  I have a Pro Series weight distribution hitch #49903 with the following.
  1000# weight distribution bar
10000# max gross trailer weight
  1000# max hitch weight
  V-5 rating
I apparently don't have the sway bar, but I do have the little ball hitch on the hitch where apparently the sway bar is suppose to attach.
All weight numbers posted earlier were with everything loaded and ready to go.
The GVWR from the door post sticker = 7200#
I don't see the GCVWR on doe post sticker, but from the owners manual I see = 15000
Axleratings fro door post sticker are:  F =3950.    R = 3950
A couple people mentioned that LT tires would probably help.  Would these be "E" rated?
Thanks again

In above post, I forgot to mention that I don't know the hitch weight.  I guess I would have to unhook the trailer and weigh that separately

You would almost surely get Load Range "E" in LT tires of that size and that is desirable.

To get the trailer tongue weight, weigh the truck with the trailer hitched and again with out it hitched. The difference between the truck weights is the number you want - the load the trailer places on the truck.

I'm not a fan of those add-on friction bar anti-sway devices, primarily because they require proper manual pressure adjustment every time you hook up.  Many (if not most) drivers don't get it right and don't have enough pressure to be of any value. And the "right" amount changes as the friction pad wears over time. But since you are equipped for one, it's a low cost add-on and might help a little.

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-34715-Handed-Adjustable-Control/dp/B004RCT0LM/ref=sr_1_2

I used to have a 2103 Silverado 1500 like yours but with the max tow package.  Pulling a 26' trailer was as much as I would dare even with an Equalizer WD hitch.  Your trailer is 31', too much for your truck.MHO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom