EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Camping World CEO tells CNBC Trump supporters should not shop at his businesses  (Read 1384 times)

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/marcus-lemonis-if-youre-ok-with-what-trump-said-dont-shop-at-my-business.html

In a shocking move two days ago, the CEO of Camping World told CNBC in an interview that if people were OK with what President Donald Trump's response to the rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, that they should not shop in his businesses.   (:(

While I am still saddened by the political war that is still going on both sides of the isle so long after the election, it is remarkable that someone running a business with so much daily consumer contact would put their livelihood right in the cross-hairs of a firestorm.   ::)

Regardless of what anyone thinks about what is going on in the current political atmosphere today, to make a consumer that supports your business with their dollars make a choice between shopping at your business and their political beliefs is unbelievable.

It's like he has forgotten about half of the country that voted for Trump less than a year ago. With on line retailing taking over the market place, I would think that you would want to get as many people in your store as possible.  :o

After all, it's not like there are not other options for RV's, parts, and Good Sam services.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Nothing like a political post to really screw things up around here. Better shut this down quick. (:( (:( (:( (:(
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
I made this post to address the issue before someone else does. I am not making an opinion about my political point of view, that is not the point. I will not say weather I agree or disagree with whatever was said. Instead it's a comment about a major business choosing to alienate themselves from a portion of their customers.  Sad.

And I will not let this turn into a mud slinging contest.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:58:25 AM by SargeW »
Marty--

xrated

• ---
No worries there, political preferences aside, Camping world is overpriced on most everything they sell.....and shopping elsewhere online is much easier and cost effective.  But I agree, with the original post about not being a smart move at all from a business standpoint. 

Nothing like a political post to really screw things up around here. Better shut this down quick. (:( (:( (:( (:(

And as long as this thread doesn't turn into a political back and forth, no reason to shut it down
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

Wizard46

• ---
Neither bothers me any at all
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Home: Milledgeville Ga.

Dance Chick

• ---
No problem. Won't shop at CW anyway unless there is absolutely no other option. But, certainly won't buy a RV there. Been there, done that....never again!!

I used to be impressed with Lemonis and enjoyed watching "The Profit". But, at some point, it occurred to me that he needs to go home and fix his own business model
before trying to fix everyone else.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog-but don't tell him)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox towing/Air Force One braking
"And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."

Bill N

• ---
I will take Marcus at his word.  My business there has been minimal anyway because of the pricing.  Hard to believe that a corporate executive would make that statement to his customers.  Sure didn't get much attention in the MSM.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 5 months

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
Sarge, it's worse than you think. I think its arrogance - Lemonis believes he can use his position as a bully pulpit because the consumers will come anyway as they believe they have no choice. While, as you mention, there actually is choice, he knows many consumers will come to CW, just as consumers go to Walmart, because it's easier than seeking out the "little guy" alternative. (I'm not targeting Walmart shoppers as I occasionally go there too.)

I know there are others on this forum that are satisfied CW customers, but I stopped shopping there awhile ago as I have not been satisfied with their service or prices. And this is irrespective of the CEO's political views, of which I could care less. Lemonis' commentary is analogous to actors and actresses who believe their eschelon means I should care about their political views, which I don't. I do watch their movies though.

And yes SeilerBird, this forum is not the place for political discussions, but that isn't Sarge's point
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:36:35 AM by Sun2Retire »
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Gods Country

• ---
Works for me......screw 'em.
(CW that is)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:33:31 AM by Gods Country »

Bill N

• ---

. Lemonis' commentary is analogous to actors and actresses who believe their eschelon means I should care about their political views, which I don't. I do watch their movies though.

And yes SeilerBird, this forum is not the place for political discussions, but that isn't Sarge's point

Most of my life I was not much on politics.  I could not remember what the left and the right stood for nor did I care.  I was in the military and politicking in the service is verboten.  You can vote but that's about it.  As for the Hollywood folks, I now find that it is difficult for me to watch the movies of some of the more obnoxious political actors.  One particular favorite really disappointed me with some of his political rants. I had watched one of his movies several times but I just stopped it during the last viewing because all I could think of was his politics.  I am really disheartened to see this country evolving into something that I never envisioned and it has taken about the last 30 years for this to happen.  Now that I am pretty late into my life I am almost happy that I will not be here to see what eventually happens to our great country.  I guess some call it progress but I call it slow destruction.  JMHO and I hope this thread is NOT shut down as long as political rants are not posted.  It is good to get a feeling for the thoughts of others with whom you share a common pursuit.
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

catblaster

• ---
"There's no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, don't shop at my business," said Lemonis, who is CEO of Camping World and host of CNBC's "The Profit."

He is a businessman first and foremost. With this comment I see him as playing to what he believes is the most popular political position in an effort to bring in business. Much the same as a used car lot putting up an inflatable uncle sam on the fourth of july so they give the impression of being more patriotic than the car lot down the street. 
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
Sarge, although your post is not political in what you are trying to say, it very much is political as it brings forward a subject that is nothing other than political.  As such, I agree with Tom, it has no business on this Forum, there are plenty of Political Forums on which to voice your opinions.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

8Muddypaws

• ---
As I've said before many times: I wouldn't trust CW to install a roll of toilet paper.  And I certainly don't look to them for political leadership.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Alpena Jeff

• ---
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/marcus-lemonis-if-youre-ok-with-what-trump-said-dont-shop-at-my-business.html

In a shocking move two days ago, the CEO of Camping World told CNBC in an interview that if people were OK with what President Donald Trump's response to the rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, that they should not shop in his businesses.   (:(

While I am still saddened by the political war that is still going on both sides of the isle so long after the election, it is remarkable that someone running a business with so much daily consumer contact would put their livelihood right in the cross-hairs of a firestorm.   ::)

Regardless of what anyone thinks about what is going on in the current political atmosphere today, to make a consumer that supports your business with their dollars make a choice between shopping at your business and their political beliefs is unbelievable.

It's like he has forgotten about half of the country that voted for Trump less than a year ago. With on line retailing taking over the market place, I would think that you would want to get as many people in your store as possible.  :o

After all, it's not like there are not other options for RV's, parts, and Good Sam services.
I do not consider this post political unless you make it so. Sarge was sharing a news report, nothing more. If others turn it political then it is on you.
My opinion.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
2018 Canyon All Terrain toad
"Official" snowbird!
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan
Preachers kid since day one!

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
He is a businessman first and foremost. With this comment I see him as playing to what he believes is the most popular political position in an effort to bring in business. Much the same as a used car lot putting up an inflatable uncle sam on the fourth of july so they give the impression of being more patriotic than the car lot down the street.

Exactly. He says what he thinks will bring people in the door, and/or will raise his business valuation. Whether or not he actually believes it.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
I am not taking a political stand on either side of the issue. My point is that anyone that is in a position to control such a large public owned corporation (listed in the stock market) to tell a portion of their customers "don't bring me your business"  is nuts. 

Lemonis' commentary is analogous to actors and actresses who believe their eschelon means I should care about their political views, which I don't.

Lemonis' point goes even further than that. At least actors don't say "if you don't agree with me, don't go to see my movie".   Incredible.
Marty--

xrated

• ---

Exactly. He says what he thinks will bring people in the door, and/or will raise his business valuation. Whether or not he actually believes it.

He must not be the sharpest tool in the drawer then, to alienate approx. half the population of the U.S. that votes.  That, to me, is just not good business sense!  But the good news for him is that he didn't lose me as a customer.  C.W. screwed me over years ago on an awning and the installation of it (I was totally green at the time and didn't know any better), so pretty much C.W. can have their overpriced items, arrogant workers (I know, not all of them), and try to survive in a world where more and more folks are buying their products after doing internet searches for pricing and customer service allstars.  Do let the door hit you in the hiney on the way out!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:49:03 AM by xrated »

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
He is a businessman first and foremost. With this comment I see him as playing to what he believes is the most popular political position in an effort to bring in business.

I wonder how many share holders have contacted him.   :o ::)
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
I truly believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion about most anything. But to refuse business? Shareholders can't be happy about that idea.
Marty--

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Politics aside, Camping World has always been my vendor of last resort.  Their prices are outrageous, if you sell your address to them for the 10% member discount their prices are still higher than other sources and then they inundate you with junk mail from them, Good Sam, RV insurance offers and whatever else the Affinity Group can come up with.

And don't get me started on their service department.  My "favorite" experience was when I had them install a set of leveling jacks on a motorhome.  Not only did they botch the installation (fortunately HWH corrected the mistakes as a goodwill gesture when I stopped by their factory several months later) but while the RV was up on the lift the service manager carved out a piece of rubber from one of the sway bar bushings and used it as a prop to try to sell me new bushings at an additional cost of several hundred dollars.

His sales pitch was the sway bar was all that was holding the rear axle in place.

I pointed to the two hefty sets of leaf springs attached to the axle and asked him to explain what they did.  He walked away with a disgusted look on his face.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:18:07 AM by Lou Schneider »

BigJohn

• ---
  • 2006 Itasca Ellipse, Jeep GC
Assuming we take him at his word and do not shop at his businesses, we would not ask for GS discounts at CGs or use our Flying J cards. Frankly, I have been using other discounts at CGs lately because I want to get away from so many cards in my Billfold. Taking the advice from many of you, I have been fueling up at stations off the hiway to save on fuel costs. I think Loomis gave us good advice.
Out wandering. Just can't wait to see what's over the next hill.
Not all who wander are lost.

Oldgator73

• ---
I cannot say if the post was political or not. I don't know Sarge's political leanings and to my knowledge he did not divulge them. As to a business publicly announcing their political beliefs, I feel it is not good business sense. Having said that, I am glad some businesses do so. It gives me a window into what is in their heart. There are some restaurants, businesses and products that I used to enjoy but no longer eat, patronize or buy because of their public political stance. As for Camping World, I cannot remember ever being in one. I have not heard good things about CW on this forum so I doubt I will shop there.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
I don't recall Marty (SargeW) taking a political stand in any public or private message here, including this topic.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Bill N

• ---
Sarge, although your post is not political in what you are trying to say, it very much is political as it brings forward a subject that is nothing other than political.  As such, I agree with Tom, it has no business on this Forum, there are plenty of Political Forums on which to voice your opinions.

Ed
I have to disagree Ed.  The point has nothing to do with politics if you view it as a CEO saying "If you don't agree with me - take a hike."  That could be made on any point but when the highest officer of a company tells you that you either agree with him or leave it has to be recognized as coming from a person who may not be the best to lead that company.  I think the saying goes, "The customer is always right."  I don't think we need to add "as long as the customer agrees with the CEO."

Bill
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
    I am glad that this string, so far, has remained civil, and as I said, Marty did not present it as political.  The fact remains, the whole basis of the CEO's decision was politically based.  It is no different than him saying that he won't serve African Americans, Aboriginals, Asian, Gays or any other minority. 

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
I truly believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion about most anything. But to refuse business? Shareholders can't be happy about that idea.
:))
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
Guess he did not have an opinion on the Camping World Nascar races!
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

satxron

• ---
  • 2000 Tiffin Allegro

What did I miss?  Has he setup a poll question at the front door where if you don't pass you don't get in? I heard him say it as a choice for the consumer not to shop there if they disagree with his statement. The interview was really about the council and those on it distancing themselves from the President.
San Antonio Texas
Little old class A packed with lots of fun.

xrated

• ---
I am NOT trying to turn this into a pro gun/anti gun direction, but I treat businesses that have the sign on their doors that show a gun in a circle with a red slash through it, the exact same way.  They are telling me that they don't want my business if I am a CCW, and I will oblige them with no questions ask.  Please, do not take this as any kind of gun/anti gun argument, it is strictly for reference on how corporate (and sometimes privately owned businesses) drive customers away because of policy.  It's their right to do so, but it's also my right to not patronize them or use their services.......not very smart from a business standpoint in my opinion.

BRex

• ---

Is CW and Good Sam headed by the same guy, Lemonis? I believe they are affiliated and I wonder if he is speaking for his entire empire, parts, service, sales and GS?

'97 Country Coach Intrigue

Hosted by Over The Network