Camping World CEO tells CNBC Trump supporters should not shop at his businesses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming we take him at his word and do not shop at his businesses, we would not ask for GS discounts at CGs or use our Flying J cards. Frankly, I have been using other discounts at CGs lately because I want to get away from so many cards in my Billfold. Taking the advice from many of you, I have been fueling up at stations off the hiway to save on fuel costs. I think Loomis gave us good advice.

I cannot say if the post was political or not. I don't know Sarge's political leanings and to my knowledge he did not divulge them. As to a business publicly announcing their political beliefs, I feel it is not good business sense. Having said that, I am glad some businesses do so. It gives me a window into what is in their heart. There are some restaurants, businesses and products that I used to enjoy but no longer eat, patronize or buy because of their public political stance. As for Camping World, I cannot remember ever being in one. I have not heard good things about CW on this forum so I doubt I will shop there.

I don't recall Marty (SargeW) taking a political stand in any public or private message here, including this topic.

Hfx_Cdn said:
Sarge, although your post is not political in what you are trying to say, it very much is political as it brings forward a subject that is nothing other than political.  As such, I agree with Tom, it has no business on this Forum, there are plenty of Political Forums on which to voice your opinions.

Ed
I have to disagree Ed.  The point has nothing to do with politics if you view it as a CEO saying "If you don't agree with me - take a hike."  That could be made on any point but when the highest officer of a company tells you that you either agree with him or leave it has to be recognized as coming from a person who may not be the best to lead that company.  I think the saying goes, "The customer is always right."  I don't think we need to add "as long as the customer agrees with the CEO."

Bill

I am glad that this string, so far, has remained civil, and as I said, Marty did not present it as political.  The fact remains, the whole basis of the CEO's decision was politically based.  It is no different than him saying that he won't serve African Americans, Aboriginals, Asian, Gays or any other minority. 

Ed

SargeW said:
I truly believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion about most anything. But to refuse business? Shareholders can't be happy about that idea.

What did I miss?  Has he setup a poll question at the front door where if you don't pass you don't get in? I heard him say it as a choice for the consumer not to shop there if they disagree with his statement. The interview was really about the council and those on it distancing themselves from the President.

I am NOT trying to turn this into a pro gun/anti gun direction, but I treat businesses that have the sign on their doors that show a gun in a circle with a red slash through it, the exact same way.  They are telling me that they don't want my business if I am a CCW, and I will oblige them with no questions ask.  Please, do not take this as any kind of gun/anti gun argument, it is strictly for reference on how corporate (and sometimes privately owned businesses) drive customers away because of policy.  It's their right to do so, but it's also my right to not patronize them or use their services.......not very smart from a business standpoint in my opinion.

Is CW and Good Sam headed by the same guy, Lemonis? I believe they are affiliated and I wonder if he is speaking for his entire empire, parts, service, sales and GS?

xrated said:
I am NOT trying to turn this into a pro gun/anti gun direction, but I treat businesses that have the sign on their doors that show a gun in a circle with a red slash through it, the exact same way.  They are telling me that they don't want my business if I am a CCW, and I will oblige them with no questions ask.  Please, do not take this as any kind of gun/anti gun argument, it is strictly for reference on how corporate (and sometimes privately owned businesses) drive customers away because of policy.  It's their right to do so, but it's also my right to not patronize them or use their services.......not very smart from a business standpoint in my opinion.

They are prohibiting you from entering with the no gun sign by law. Camping World does not have a sign up "No Trump Supporters Allowed".  You are not prohibited from entering any Camping World even if you disagree with him. But if he has made you angry feel free not to go there is all he is saying.

There is no parallel between the two.  Camping world stock will do just fine after this statement. Maybe a little bump but they can handle a little bump if any.

Thanks to all that understand my post. I didn't make the post for shock value, or to make a political opinion. Lemonis heads a company that for the most part, makes a living off of RV's and the people that own and drive them. Camping World, Good Sam road side assistance, Good Sam RV park ratings and discounts, Good Sam RV loans and who knows what else. This is an RV web site, and thus any of us (me included) may or will use a product, service, or relationship with his company.  He just told me if I don't think like him, he doesn't want my business.  Wow, really? 

About the only person I share any opinions on sensitive topics with is my wife. I spent most of my adult life listening to people have heated arguments that ended badly. I have no interest in participating in them anymore. The only reason this is relevant is because we are all RV'ers.  You can make up your own mind. 

satxron said:
They are prohibiting you from entering with the no gun sign by law. Camping World does not have a sign up "No Trump Supporters Allowed".  You are not prohibited from entering any Camping World even if you disagree with him. But if he has made you angry feel free not to go there is all he is saying.

There is no parallel between the two.  Camping world stock will do just fine after this statement. Maybe a little bump but they can handle a little bump if any.

That  may be true, but when a businessman says don't shop at his business because you agree with someone he doesn't agree with is pretty stupid in my opinion.

Funny, all the posts over on their forum about it have disappeared.  Think there is collusion over there?

That was pretty much my my opinion. I don't really care if he disagrees with everything I believe. I won't lose any sleep over it.  But to come out to the media and say anyone that doesn't agree with what I think shouldn't come into his business. Wow, I used to think he was a pretty smart guy. I guess not so much.

donn said:
Funny, all the posts over on their forum about it have disappeared.  Think there is collusion over there?

Wow, really? Now that's just funny right there!

satxron said:

You missed the entire point of my post......Corp policy/leadership says and does things that drive away customers sometimes......very simple!

P.S......And a side note.....in some states the no gun sign doesn't prohibit you from entering, but you must leave if asked by the owners or management.  And the bottom line is if you are Concealed properly, they would never know that you are carrying.  You are only breaking the law if you refuse to leave after being asked to.  And the penalty for not doing so varies from state to state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom