Camping World CEO tells CNBC Trump supporters should not shop at his businesses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
John Stephens said:
Thoughts on the original post...

2) Regardless of how many people voted for Trump in the election, his approval rating has consistently dropped to the low 30's since the election and this is something that Lemonis may be taking into consideration. He may figure he's not going to alienate half of the population, but instead, only 30-35%,

Not sure about this point John. If you consider the electorate as a whole your 30-35 percent may be accurate but his business appeals to not the entire population but to a segment that is probably a bit more affluent (just a bit)  I have never thought much of approval ratings (polls) since they are notorious for being inaccurate and also consider that the same ratings of Congress in general and of it's individual party leaders is much much lower - generally in the 15-18 percent range.  In any case, as you said, it is a super poor business decision.

I have managed to resist all of his insurance offerings and usually the daily mailings line the bottom of the garbage can.  Once I bought a 3 year membership and was receiving mailings to renew just 3 months after my membership started.  All in all, I have used CW for some purchases I could not find elsewhere but now have enough outlets that I can dismiss them entirely.

Bill

I wonder if he happened to actually be in a store, and a person walked in to buy stuff for their RV that they just parked outside....but that person was wearing a trump supporting T-shirt...... maybe even one that also supported the NRA just for goo measure.....would he ask that person to face to face leave his store?
My bet, he would not.

Regardless, thanks for sharing this Sarge.  I'm glad to know about it.

I think the majority of posters here have grossly missed the point of what the CW CEO said: ""There's no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, don't shop at my business," said Lemonis, who is CEO of Camping World and host of CNBC's "The Profit." this is not a political statement. This is a denouncement of Neo Nazis, the KKK, and White Supremacy. He is saying if you support these groups, if you align yourself with these groups he does not need your business. Nothing political about it. I think most of you trying to make it political.

NY_Dutch said:
How many times have you seen the sign below in stores and restaurants? Is what Marcus said all that different?

The problem with that sign is it is illegal now. There are certain reasons Service can be refused. No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service is a health issue. Someone that is disruptive, drunk, a danger to others in the store, etc can be refused service. But to put a sign up with the blanket statement like that is no longer legal. What Marcus was alluding to was if you agree with trump's support of  hate groups he would rather you take your business elsewhere. Bravo to him for taking a stance against hate. And to make this about RV'ing...anybody camping this weekend?

SargeW said:
I agree. As long as the post revolve around RV related opinions, and how they effect us in the RV community, it will not be shut down. Most of us don't care about what the political leaning are.  If it effects me as an RV'er, then I care.  This is about informing the community about things that concern them and their day to day living requirements.

What it effects in regard to RVing, is the Economy.. I won't bother going into great detail but it also affects camground fees.. Since T.Rump has defunded the Forest Service they have not choice but to raise rates.  There are many other ways he can affect our life as well.. So it is an RVing issue.

That said.. As I said I support Camping world in this.. but.. I'll still look for a better deal before I shop there.  (See Economy in the previous paragraph).

Remember when the national average for a gallon of Gasoline was 4.17/gallon?  I do, August 2008.

Lemonis is CEO of camping world, but he's also an entertainment celebrity (Notice that I intentionally used the term "entertainment", not "media" or "news".)
To an entertainment celebrity, exposure is all-important. Being well-known is what gets you new gigs and fatter contracts. That's why you see so many of these types making outrageous public statements and performing high-profile actions. Nothing more.
So Lemonis has two full-time jobs, celebrity and CEO, and he's made the (my opinion) mistake of equating what's good for his celebtrity career with what's good for Camping World. I believe that he's wrong. Now the Camping World board will have to decide whether the spotlight he's placed on the company is in their interest or not.

John From Detroit said:
What it effects in regard to RVing, is the Economy.. I won't bother going into great detail but it also affects camground fees.. Since T.Rump has defunded the Forest Service they have not choice but to raise rates.  There are many other ways he can affect our life as well.. So it is an RVing issue.

That said.. As I said I support Camping world in this.. but.. I'll still look for a better deal before I shop there.  (See Economy in the previous paragraph).

Remember when the national average for a gallon of Gasoline was 4.17/gallon?  I do, August 2008.

:)) :)) :))

PopPop51 said:
Lemonis is CEO of camping world, but he's also an entertainment celebrity (Notice that I intentionally used the term "entertainment", not "media" or "news".)
To an entertainment celebrity, exposure is all-important. Being well-known is what gets you new gigs and fatter contracts. That's why you see so many of these types making outrageous public statements and performing high-profile actions. Nothing more.
So Lemonis has two full-time jobs, celebrity and CEO, and he's made the (my opinion) mistake of equating what's good for his celebtrity career with what's good for Camping World. I believe that he's wrong. Now the Camping World board will have to decide whether the spotlight he's placed on the company is in their interest or not.

So you think he is wrong in denouncing racism and hate? Interesting view.

Oldgator73 said:
I think the majority of posters here have grossly missed the point of what the CW CEO said: ""There's no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, don't shop at my business," said Lemonis, who is CEO of Camping World and host of CNBC's "The Profit."

Oldgator thanks for posting what Lemonis actually said to CNBC.  I've listened to that interview at least a half dozen times and nowhere did I hear Lemonis say that Trump supporters should not shop at his businesses.  CNBC twisted what Lemonis said. 

Here's the link that Sarge posted.  Listen for yourself but first you have to get beyond CNBC's headline.  https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/marcus-lemonis-if-youre-ok-with-what-trump-said-dont-shop-at-my-business.html

Oldgator73 said:
I think the majority of posters here have grossly missed the point of what the CW CEO said: ""There's no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, don't shop at my business," said Lemonis, who is CEO of Camping World and host of CNBC's "The Profit." this is not a political statement. This is a denouncement of Neo Nazis, the KKK, and White Supremacy. He is saying if you support these groups, if you align yourself with these groups he does not need your business. Nothing political about it. I think most of you trying to make it political.

Exactly.  Well said. :):))

Maybe naive, but think the media seems to have again distorted what was ment on both sides.  Still believe in America and agree CEOs should not make such comments.  CW still dropped another notch if that is possible.

Trump's name is in the title of this thread and the article linked to paints our great leader in a bad light but this thread is not about politics but about a CEO of CW? The remarks sure look like it is a political to me.  The title or the thread should have been something like "CW CEO disallows hate group supporters". Trump should not have been named. He has nothing to do with the story. But putting his name in the title attracts people like flies to honey. And now Obama has been dragged into it. I am sure glad this thread is not political. ::)

Oldgator73 said:
The problem with that sign is it is illegal now. There are certain reasons Service can be refused.

You are wrong about that....The law is,  a business can refuse service for "ANY" reason...

a private business is not required by law to "Serve" anyone they don't want to.

TonyDtorch said:
You are wrong about that....The law is,  a business can refuse service for "ANY" reason...

Tell that to the owners of the bakery who refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple wanting to get married. It wasn't because they were gay, it was because marriage of the same sex was against their religious beliefs. They were being sued.
Lower courts had ruled that Jack Phillips, the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop, had violated Colorado?s public accommodations law, which prohibits refusing service to customers based on factors such as race, sex, marital status or sexual orientation.

It is now on the way to the Supreme Court.

Rene T said:
which prohibits refusing service to customers based on factors such as race, sex, marital status or sexual orientation.

It is now on the way to the Supreme Court.

The secret is you do not need to disclose the reason you are refusing service.

TonyDtorch said:

You are going to have to cite some references on that. Tell that to the bakers that refused to bake wedding cakes for gay couples. Are you saying a business can deny service to someone because they are black? Or white? Or Mexican? Or Chinese? Or own an RV? (See, I made it about RVing). I would posit sir, that you are horribly ignorant of the law.

TonyDtorch said:
The secret is you do not need to disclose the reason you are refusing service.

WRONG! (Yes I am yelling). A business cannot just arbitrarily say " I am not serving you".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom