New Truck Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoss10

Yet another truck question!
I have a 2007 Tundra with the smaller 4.7 motor which has been pulling my Jayfeather 242 (4750 dry weight, 6500 Max.) The old Tundra pulls it great with no issues. The trailer is low and tows well.
While the truck works well it is a little cramped for my wife and I and the two dogs. (Reg. Cab long box). There are some good deals around on new trucks so I have been looking.  As of now the two which look good to me are the Ford F 150 5 litre Supercab, and the GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 Double Cab.  Both are 4 wheel drive with 3.55 (Ford) and 3.42 (Chev) axles.  They have trailer tow package but are not the max. tow option.

I know I'm in the weight limits with these two, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and any recommendations as to the better performer. Or other ideas.  To get the deals I am limited to existing 2017 models.

Thanks for the help.
Ted

Just be sure the payload can handle about a 700-800 pound tongue weight plus passengers and cargo.  With two passengers and a couple dogs you should be OK, but I would look around for the highest payload available in the truck you want.  The actual sticker rating not the brochure BS.  If thhe payload is satisfied everything else "should"
be OK, but do your homework.

They are both about the same at @ the low 40 k (I'm in Canada) but the GM will work out cheaper having 0% financing.

Ford pricing is at 2.99% but you can still haggle on the price even with employee pricing, ( i just bought a new truck - im in alberta) they both can also locate what your looking for and both will have a payload around 1400lbs BUT check each truck individually as they can vary ALOT

I know what you mean about varying,  especially with Chev. I have never seen so many different packages and overlapping trims very confusing!

Probably too much trailer for that F150 -- imho: you need to keep the TT under 6000 and closer to 20 feet. Getting max tow and a good WDH would make it work but just barely.

massspike said:
Probably too much trailer for that F150 -- imho: you need to keep the TT under 6000 and closer to 20 feet. Getting max tow and a good WDH would make it work but just barely.
The Tundra 4.7 long box pulls the Jayfeather very well and it has a lower Tailer Tow rating and less torque then either the Ford or GM.  Does the Ford have issues with towing?

I have the 2015 F-150 FX4 Supercab with the 5.0 and 3.55 gears.  It has the towing package.  It's rated for 9,000 lbs towing and 1,840 lbs carry capacity.  It tows my loaded 6,180 lb Winnie Minnie just fine.  It would be a good match for your camper.

hoss10 said:
The Tundra 4.7 long box pulls the Jayfeather very well and it has a lower Tailer Tow rating and less torque then either the Ford or GM.  Does the Ford have issues with towing?

The newer (2015-17 model years) have issues towing...losing all that body weight does not help when towing heavier trailers as the TT tends to boss around the rear end of the TV. You can check out the f150forum for lots of threads on this. (Note: I understand the 2018's have a beefed up chassis and suspension so Ford may have done something about it but I haven't seen any real-world ride reports on it.)

I now have a similar setup to yours (6500-7000lb 24 foot TT) with a 2016 F150 5L with max tow. I've had to add Timbrens, upgrade the WDH to one with anti-sway, pump up the tires (and may still switch to LT's), put the TV and TT cargo on a diet, and experiment with loading and weight distribution to get it to tow comfortably at Interstate speeds. It had issues towing our previous 6000lb 20 foot TT without these upgrades as the TT could get loose in high winds, over 65 mph, or on bumpy roads whereas our similar 2010 could tow it with a basic WDH. I'd love to be towing the old TT with my current set-up but the floor plan wasn't working for my family.

The 5L (Coyote) engine has more than enough torque once you realize you need to wind her up since it kicks in at over 3500 RPM. In cruise it will drop down into 3rd and even 2nd so you need to get used to 4000+ RPMs and the V8 growl.

Took the boss out today to drive them both.  She liked pretty much everything about the GMC.  I liked the interior and the ride of the F150, much more truck like. But we both found the seat cushions on the Ford very short  and the GMC had more toys for the same price.  The Ford also had big problem with washboard dirt roads, worse case of axle hop I have felt in awhile.

Was impressed with the Chev. transmission (this is just the 6 speed).  When in Tow Haul mode it did a great job of rev. matching downshifts when going down even the smallest hills when you let up on the gas.  This might be my first GM truck after a lifetime of Fords and one Toyota.  I am a little worried  about the dreaded "Chevy Shake" which seems to effect some trucks.

Arch Hoagland said:
"Chevy Shake"  Never heard of it and I've owned three of them.

What is it?

Well according to some Forums and a few reviews some GM trucks of this version  have a shake at speed of 60mph or so, which they don't seem to able to fix.

After 17 chevys in a row i just bought a new f350 dually for a change of pace never had nor heard of this "shake" thing you speak of.
So far so good with my new ford though, only time will tell if its up to my old chevs

I just got back from a 17 day 4000 mile 8 State vacation.  FWIW I have a 2014 chevy 1500 with the max tow package.  I pull a 26' approximately 7000lb TT using a simple Curt WD hitch.  My trip went from Michigan out to Colorado then up to Wyoming and back.  Round trip average was 10.1 mpg.  Going through the Big horn mountains in Wyoming was probably the toughest hills of the trip but the truck handled it well.  The biggest change I'd like to make is ditch the factory p-metric tires for some LT's.  Oh and no chevy shake for me.

There a numerous videos on YouTube showing the "Chevy shake" along with videos demonstrating possible solutions.

touchracing said:
I just got back from a 17 day 4000 mile 8 State vacation.  FWIW I have a 2014 chevy 1500 with the max tow package.  I pull a 26' approximately 7000lb TT using a simple Curt WD hitch.  My trip went from Michigan out to Colorado then up to Wyoming and back.  Round trip average was 10.1 mpg.  Going through the Big horn mountains in Wyoming was probably the toughest hills of the trip but the truck handled it well.  The biggest change I'd like to make is ditch the factory p-metric tires for some LT's.  Oh and no chevy shake for me.

Do you have the  5.3 with the 6 speed?  I am debating on the max. tow package  it is hard to find in a 2017.  My trailer is smaller then yours I think.  I totally agree about the LT tires I put them on the Tundra and stopped worrying,  although I don't think  I would go with the Michilien LT MS2 again they are a little too stiff. (10 plies) When the weight distribution is on they can be pretty jarring.

I might be going the other way Steve I have never owned a GM truck.

Hoss - i would look into  a 2500 even if its a gasser solid solid truck which will do you just fine untill you want to move up to a large 5er then its 3500 deisel all the way. But the other reason i say a 2500 is payload and there are i ton of 2500s available, i just bought a Ford because i needed to change things up (personal - time ) i would buy a chevy again in a heartbeat

hoss10 said:
Do you have the  5.3 with the 6 speed?  I am debating on the max. tow package  it is hard to find in a 2017.  My trailer is smaller then yours I think.  I totally agree about the LT tires I put them on the Tundra and stopped worrying,  although I don't think  I would go with the Michilien LT MS2 again they are a little too stiff. (10 plies) When the weight distribution is on they can be pretty jarring.

I might be going the other way Steve I have never owned a GM truck.

Yes 5.3 and 6 speed.  You are right the max tow is hard to find.  I spent 6 months looking and only found 3 in my area.  2 were brand new loaded LTZ's for about $65K.  Mine was a year old dealer demo. Loaded LT with less than 8K on it.  I traded in a 2001 GMC 2500 Duramax for the half ton.  No regrets.  Half ton trucks have come a long way.

Do the GM's have any emission system related issues?  I have not heard any problems with the Ford's in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom