New Truck Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good friend just got a 2018 Nissan Titan with a Cummins engine......beautiful and quiet!  It was almost as big as my 2500 Ram......

powershotone said:
A good friend just got a 2018 Nissan Titan with a Cummins engine......beautiful and quiet!  It was almost as big as my 2500 Ram......

Too bad the payload is only about 1100 lbs the interior is steller 

steveblonde said:

Ding, Ding, Ding........we have a winnah!  They are nice trucks for sure, but the payload, or should I say the lack of payload is a deal breaker for most trailers.

xrated said:
Ding, Ding, Ding........we have a winnah!  They are nice trucks for sure, but the payload, or should I say the lack of payload is a deal breaker for most trailers.

That's sad. The payload n my Frontier is 1380#.

steveblonde said:

As I have said in the past, who in their right mind would spend that much money for a diesel truck that can't haul enough to even come close to needing a diesel? 

My money can be put to better use.

"I bought too much truck" said no trailer towing RVer ever.  ;)

I bought an F250 to tow a 7,000# Arctic Fox.  Then five years later bought a 10,000# Montana and didn't have to buy a new truck.

Buy a truck that can tow your next two trailers.

8Muddypaws said:
"I bought too much truck" said no trailer towing RVer ever.  ;)

I bought an F250 to tow a 7,000# Arctic Fox.  Then five years later bought a 10,000# Montana and didn't have to buy a new truck.

Buy a truck that can tow your next two trailers.

Amen to that brother, Amen.

Have you looked  at the ram trucks at all?  a 2500 with the diesel will pull most 5th wheels if you decide to move up. I had a 1500 hemi to tow a 22ft north trail.  should have gotten a bigger truck because DW and I fell in love with a 5er,  needed to up grade to the diesel.

mn blue skies II said:
Have you looked  at the ram trucks at all?  a 2500 with the diesel will pull most 5th wheels if you decide to move up. I had a 1500 hemi to tow a 22ft north trail.  should have gotten a bigger truck because DW and I fell in love with a 5er,  needed to up grade to the diesel.

A Ram 2500 along with any 2500 is still limited in its payload (5er pin wieght ) great for a TT but not a 5er

steveblonde said:
A Ram 2500 along with any 2500 is still limited in its payload (5er pin wieght ) great for a TT but not a 5er

I guess they don't make trucks the way they used to. Back when we were fulltiming, 1998-2004, we had a Dodge 2500 single cab 2wd with 5.9 Cummins, 5 speed standard, DANA 80 rear end. I added a PAC brake, Jake break whatever you want to call it. Payload was rated at 3900#. I had no problem pulling our 36', triple slide, triple axle 5th wheel. When I hooked up the trucks rear end didn't budge an inch. So, are the trucks today not as strong as they used to be? And why do I see so many folks with 4wd trucks (I have one because they did not have a 2wd on the lot).

I own a 2015 F-150 5.0l 3.31 axle super crew. I have put 88,000 miles on it already without any problems. I pull a Sporttrek 320 VIK with with no issues at all. Truck has great power and goes over 300 miles with the 36 gallon extended range fuel tank.

Pete

Oldgator73 said:
I guess they don't make trucks the way they used to. Back when we were fulltiming, 1998-2004, we had a Dodge 2500 single cab 2wd with 5.9 Cummins, 5 speed standard, DANA 80 rear end. I added a PAC brake, Jake break whatever you want to call it. Payload was rated at 3900#. I had no problem pulling our 36', triple slide, triple axle 5th wheel. When I hooked up the trucks rear end didn't budge an inch. So, are the trucks today not as strong as they used to be? And why do I see so many folks with 4wd trucks (I have one because they did not have a 2wd on the lot).

they still do make them like that BUT you have to order it and they are very rare breeds most trucks today are crew cabs 4x4 loaded with features etc etc all things that take away from payload

configure one you will see
https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

actual payload is ALWAYS lower than what you will see on the website too because of options that are added

mn blue skies II said:

All 3/4 Ton truck's are greatly limited for towing 5vers, except for some of the smaller ones, and the ultra light type.  The biggest issue with them is twofold.  First, they are no more than 10K GVWR.  Secondly, their payloads are often in the 2K range +/- a bit.  Plan on somewhere around 2K if buying a crew cab with 4 wheel drive and diesel.  Obviously more if a gasser, 2 wheel drive regular cab.  So, to say that a 2500 with a diesel will pull most 5th wheelers is totally wrong.  Most of the time the 20% pin weight of the 5ver will overload the 3/4Ton truck pretty quickly, payload wise..

steveblonde said:
they still do make them like that BUT you have to order it and they are very rare breeds most trucks today are crew cabs 4x4 loaded with features etc etc all things that take away from payload

configure one you will see
https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

actual payload is ALWAYS lower than what you will see on the website too because of options that are added

100% correct. ^^^^^^        :))

Oldgator73 said:

2wd & single cab is about the only way to get that much payload with a 3/4.
Most people today faint at the thought of not having an extended cab.

My 4wd F250 has a 3500# payload, but is a regular cab, and I'm good with it.
If I can't put a sheet of plywood in the bed without dropping the gate it's not a truck, but something else.

steveblonde said:

My 2015 Explorer has a payload of 1575#. Better than a bunch of 1/2 ton pickups.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom