Water Leak???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goat1966

I recently traded my Coachmen Cascade 24rb for a 2007 Hornet 30bhs and I have a problem.  I went out the other day and there was water in the middle of the camper and some in a cabinet under the kitchen sink.  I am not sure where the water came from.  I rained pretty hard the night before, and the area that is wet was right under the A/C unit.  Has anyone else had issues with water getting in that way?  If it is not coming from that then I must have a pipe leaking under the kitchen sink, but I don't see one.  If anyone has suggestions or has fought a similar problem please let me know!!

Thanks
Brian

My guess would be that it may well have come from the A/C vent.  If you did not have pressure on the water system (hooked up to city water, or have the pump on) I would not expect the system to leak.  Assuming that you did not have pressure applied during the leak and then apply pressure to the system I would expect a very noticeable leak with pressure on.

It is possible that the A/C vent can leak if it is not sealed well, or if the rain was wind driven into the A/C unit.  Dry everything, then do the pressure check and see if you can find a leak.  If you don't find a leak then it must be the A/C.

Good luck! ;)

The water came inside through the a/c opening, but it may have some from anywhere on the roof. Water travels nicely under the roof, looking for a way down inside, so the actual leak may be elsewhere, e.g. around a plumbing vent, tv antenna, skylight, etc. Check all roof seams carefully and reseal any that are other than rock solid..

There was  no pressure on the water system, and since then I have turned the pump on and did not find a leak.  I am pretty sure that the rain was wind driven that night.  I was wondering if it was blowing into the A/C from a specific direction that it could get to the inside of the camper?  It has rained here a couple times since  this occurrence (with a lot less wind, but still raining hard} and I have not found any evidence of a leak again. Thanks for the advice I will keep looking!!

Thanks
Brian

Rain blowing in via the air conditioner... I won't say it is IMPOSSIVLE, but I can not recall ever seeing it happen.

Of course a vent left just a bit open... That will do it.

The a/c itself could be a bit loose on the roof - it is bolted down against a gasket and wind driven rain could be forced underneath if the seal is a bit loose. But it could just as easily be somewhere else on the roof - don't assume the a/c simply because that is the closest thing.

Water leaks in an RV can be quite mysterious because the water radiates outward from its source.  Last summer we had a dandy rainstorm during which water started dripping down one of our A/Cs which was not on.  After getting out a pan to catch the water under the A/C, we started pulling stuff out of nearby cabinets and those were dry.  Finally Jerry got his fingers up into the through-the-air antenna hole and it was wet.  Got it caulked after it stopped raining, got everything dried out, and no more leak.  Check your caulking around the various openings on your roof and there's a good chance that's where you'll find it.  Caulking dries out, especially in hot dry climates like in the southwest.  RV roofs often are built with structural "channels" through which the water travels when it leaks in.  In our case the TV antenna isn't far from the A/C opening and it traveled to it.

Once you get the leak identified and fixed, you might have wet insulation that needs time to dry out so don't be too hasty in putting your house back together.  ;D

And good luck on finding that leak!  Let us know where you find it.

ArdraF

That unit is a flat roof unit, (not my favorite )  check the roof of your unit, if the sealant is hard and has small cracks in it recoat your roof seams. If the whole roof has been coated thats not good, Also check to make sure the roof is not sagging around your ac unit if so it's time to get ride of it,a ez way to check is to spray water on the roof and see where it pools

It ended up not being the a/c unit at all, it had a leak in the lines going to the kitchen sink and another coming from the water heater.  Got those tightened up, and no leak since!!!  Thanks for all the input!!

goat1966 said:
It ended up not being the a/c unit at all, it had a leak in the lines going to the kitchen sink and another coming from the water heater.  Got those tightened up, and no leak since!!!  Thanks for all the input!!

Good to hear you got the leak fixed.  Thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom