No power - Thor Hurricane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hitnmisses

Hi, I'm never to the forum and have a question. We have someone renting our RV  (2007 Thor Hurricane 34b). When they ok up this morning and turned the thermostat down eerything shut off. No power to slides or anything. When he turned the ignition on, was able turn the generator back on but isn't sure how long it will last. Could it be a battery going bad?

Hi and welcome!!!

First, the RV thermostat works on 12V, it should only affect the air conditioner or the furnace. No power to the slides, and not able to start the generator initially (also 12V) suggests a battery, most likely the house battery, is bad and/or is not being charged for one reason or another.  By starting the engine (chassis battery) it may have supplied the house system with enough 12V to start the generator.

Check the house battery by checking the water level in the battery first, adding distilled water if necessary. Then check the voltage right at the battery terminals while the coach is plugged in and again a little later on when it is no longer plugged in. While plugged in the voltage should read at least 13.5V or so, not plugged in.... you need to tell us. If, when plugged in, you do not get 13.5V or so, you have a converter problem and need to figure out why that is not working. Could be as simple as the protection fuse(s) blown, or no 120 V to the converter. Don't forget to check the GFCI outlet as well is it could be the culprit in not supplying 120V to the converter in some cases. (Makes and models would be nice to have if the converter appears to be the problem.)

Thank you. We told them to have the batteries checked. Keeping fingers crossed that's all it is. I noticed yesterday before taking it to the renters that when I retracted the auto levels it said low voltage. Not sure if that goes along with it being a battery issue too or not.

Back
Top Bottom