Propane tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the57man

I just recently took my motorhome out after not using it for several months. My indicator inside the motorhome said I had a full tank of propane. By the way I have a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. On the way back from my trip which was about 300 miles I had the refrigerator set to propane and didn't think anything of it because my indicator inside the coach said I had a full tank. Well after getting home and parking I went out a couple days later and the refrigerator was defrosted though I had plugged it in. I failed to switch the refrigerator over to automatic and it was still on propane and I was getting a no flame indicator. I thought I should have propane my indicator says full tank so I turned on the stove and got nothing. Then I went out to the actual tank and checked the gauge on the tank and it said empty. Now the tank gauge says empty and indicator in the coach says full any ideas why this is happening

The inside level reading is controlled by a magnetically coupled variable resistor inside the mechanical gauge on the tank. The standard gauge sending unit resistance is 0-90 ohms, empty to full. You can check the sending unit with a multimeter set on a low ohms scale and one of the wires disconnected from the coach wiring. If the reading appears to be correct for the level shown on the mechanical gauge, then the sending unit is most likely ok. If not, replacements are readily available from numerous online sources, including Amazon and eBay. Trouble shooting beyond that would require knowledge of the monitor panel in use, including access to a wiring connection diagram.

Could be as simple as a faulty remote display - it's not unusual for them to read either full or empty if a wire gets disconnected or corroded or the little circuit board fails. Or a loose or disconnected wire back at the tank gauge, where the signal originates.

Back
Top Bottom