12v problem in 1992 Tioga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjf7g

My house lights will not turn on when operating off of the battery.  I have 12.5 V across the battery terminals but nothing across the battery jumpers on the breaker panel.  I have a request in to Fleetwood for the wiring schematics and am guessing there is a solenoid switch or two somewhere in the unit but I can't find anything at a glance.  I haven't pull the battery out and I haven't pulled the breaker box out - where should I start looking?

There is usually a battery disconnect switch, but it could be most anywhere. Fleetwood likes to put them in a compartment over the entry door on Class A's, but don't know about a Tioga.

Do you have 12 volt power anywhere else in the coach?  Items such as the water heater, furnace, or possibly the fridge in a '92?  If you don't have ANY 12V power, there are two areas to check...one is the disconnect switch discussed earlier which could be anywhere.  Another option is a solenoid at the battery.  Late 80 and early '90s units had a solenoid switch that if the batteries went dead, it needed a "jump" to reactivate.  Contact Fleetwood's owner relations department, or your dealer.  If you do have 12V power to other functions, then it is probably a 12 V breaker.  Each feature that uses 12V has either an automotive style breaker, or the newer push-button type generally located in a compartment close to the 110-V circuit breakers? 

In a 92 Fleetwood coach it is very likely there is a conventional 12v fuse panel. Something that happened to me regularly was a fuse making no contact to the fuse holder. It only takes a minute to pull each fuse and reinstall them to make sure you have a good contact.

Not improbable to be under the hood also.  Once you find it  I'll bet you'll remember  LOL

I have a 84 Tioga and found a basic wire diagram that may help... I will email it to you.

I just went threw 12 volt problems with my HM. When on battery my levelers and generator would not work. I don't know about lights and stuff. I was plugged in to shore power so they were working when we were camping. after many swear words and some busted knuckles i found the problem. One of the jumpers on the house battery the bolt that holds the wires on to the post was so corroded that it seemed tight but was really lose One new bolt and all is fine Hope this helps you good luck

Got the schematics via e-mail.  Thanks! 

Thanks for all of the other suggestions.  I moved on to other issues with the unit while waiting for diagrams and info from Fleetwood and I have discovered a leak I don't think I can fix.  So, I may be off to an RV repair shop any way.  If I haven't tackled the 12 V problem by then, I might turn that over to them as well.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I will try to find the solenoid switch or the disconnect.  I have removed and replaced all of the fuses and that didn't help.

The only thing that I can get to fire up in the camper at all is the "battery level indicator" light...there must not be anything sitting between the battery and that light.  However, the light on the hood and the hood fan itself won't work!

If only figuring this out could be my day job...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom