Water Pump Continues to Run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaputnick

Our water pump continues to run when turned on. I have checked all valve positions (like when filling tank) and have looked at the filter which was clean.
    No leaks and plenty of pressure on city water. When running I can pinch the supply side with no effect such change in tone etc. I have not check the out but there is no or very little output at the taps.
    This problem seems to have started while on a fair slope with a low tank buy turning on the pump with low flow. Not sure how this would effect it but I would appreciate any thoughts on trouble shooting and or potential problems.
Thanx

Are you sure you are not out of water. Dont trust gauges. If you can see the water in the tank, then that is different. If you run out of water, the pump will continue to run. This is of course due to the fact that it cannot reach pressure if there is no water. If you have water, my suggestion would be the valves are out of order. Double check all the valves are in the correct position.

Disconnect the line from the suction side of the pump just to verify that there is no blockage in that line coming from the tank.

That's typically a symptom of the valve in the 'Tank Fill' rather than 'Normal' position.  Is there any chance that valve has failed (in the 'Tank Fill' position)?

I guess the valve could have failed but when it is placed in the normal position no water is running into the tank. I will double check the valve if it shuts off.

cbeierl said:
That's typically a symptom of the valve in the 'Tank Fill' rather than 'Normal' position.  Is there any chance that valve has failed (in the 'Tank Fill' position)?
This. The other possibility is the pump wobble parts in the head are leaking internally.

When connected to city water, you can turn the pump switch off. Presumably that stops it from running? If not, you have an electrical problem.

But if the pump switch is on, it runs as long as pressure remains below its preset threshold, which is normally set at about 45 psi. A common reason for this on Winnebago/Itasca coaches is a failed city water diverter (fill) valve. If that fails fails to close fully, the city water runs into the fresh tank and the pump cannot build pressure no matter how long it runs. Your fresh tank will likely fill and eventually overflow, and water pressure at the taps will be low.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
...A common reason for this on Winnebago/Itasca coaches is a failed city water diverter (fill) valve. If that fails fails to close fully, the city water runs into the fresh tank and the pump cannot build pressure no matter how long it runs...
As a footnote to Gary's remarks is the city water/tank fill valve handle will not indicate the proper mode, i.e., it might indicate city water but it is actually diverting some or all water to tank fill.

On my last sailboat I had an ugly experience with a brass Apollo two way valve. The handle indicated it was in the proper position but the handle somehow became separated from the valve itself. Every time the boat rolled (we were offshore) some water entered the bilge through the air conditioner discharge. Enough water entered to trigger the bilge alarm  :eek:.

Turns off with the switch; I tapped the valve with a rubber hammer and the pump stopped running on city H2O. Turned of city at the hose bib and pump started running again. Must be the valve?

Got an icemaker in the fridge? If so I'd check that panel on the outside too..
Sounds like a pump gone though.

Kaputnick said:
Turns off with the switch; I tapped the valve with a rubber hammer and the pump stopped running on city H2O. Turned of city at the hose bib and pump started running again. Must be the valve?

The pump will stop when you turn on the city water because the pressure is probably higher than the preset pump pressure switch.

I had this problem on my water valve.
If you can get your hands behind that valve and push it in towards you.
My water valve started to fail because when I turned it I also put pressure on it.
It's a Longshot but it caused my water valve not to seal and switch .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom