Ice Maker Water line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

I'm continuing to work through all the little things that the previous owner neglected and am learning as I go.

The water line on my Dometic fridge from the ice maker to the fill solenoid valve runs inside a vinyl tube with heater wires. However, the tubing feeding the solenoid valve and the valve itself is unprotected from freezing.

What's the point of a heater on one and not the other?

Tom

It may be because, when your ice maker makes ice, the water feeding the ice maker can also freeze, which would not allow water to flow from the solenoid shut-off valve.  Just a guess, but I think it's to prevent freezing from the ice maker - not cold weather.

Kev

You have a good point. I never thought of that but when the weather threatens to freeze I have those lines dry anyway.

Page 2.. That line from the solenoid to the freezer. Likes to split and spray water all over.. I wound up removing the ice maker and using first trays and later a portable ice maker.

Mine came from the factory with that heater wire wrapped around the solenoid and held in place with silver sticky tape. In my case, when I went to use the ice maker there was no evidence of the plastic water line or where the other part of the heater cable was originally placed.  The plastic water line had broken off at the top of the fridge and at the water solenoid end and had disappeared from the back compartment completely. I suspect that the previous owner had a problem and someone helped him out, perhaps the heater may have been left on exacerbating the problem. He could not have needed/used the ice maker at all.

Sine the trailer lives in Florida and always has, the need for a heater was doubtful, so I simply removed it when I replaced the plastic tubing.

I live in cold country but expect to spend January through April below the frost line. We will start our trek south with the coach winterized and flush out on the way when weather permits.

I'm going to try a plain plastic line and see how that goes.

My heater had a 32 degree thermostat switch. If the coach staying in Florida had this switch I doubt the heater hardly ever come on anyway.

Tom

My heater had a 32 degree thermostat switch. If the coach staying in Florida had this switch I doubt the heater hardly ever come on anyway.

Sounds logical. I did not look into it that closely once I found the tubing missing .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSM0518
Back
Top Bottom