converter runs all the time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

old49erfan

converter runs all time even when not hooked up to shore power and the battery disconect is off. will only stop running when fuse is pulled or batteries go dead ?

Are you sure you don't have a INverter?  That would run when you disconnect shore power because the batteries would run it.

Well, a CONverter cannot run without shore (or genset) power to feed it, so something is amiss. It does indeed sound more like an inverter. We shall wait for more/better info...

It's is a magnadyne 300 watt dc to ac power converter and it runs till the battery goes dead or i pull the fuse

I just figured out that it is an inverter even though it says converter on the part. So now my question is why does it continue to run when I have no shore power and I have the disconnected the main and auxiliary by the disconnect switch for storage

It is getting it's power from the battery, then converts it over to 110 Volt AC. Trace the 12 volt wires (black and red) and see if they go right to the battery. You can defeat this by installing a disconnect switch on the positive battery post. My inverter has a on/off switch right on it so I can turn it off.  You must be running something like a fridge.

Thanks I will try that. I figured the shut off switch in my coach would shut off everything from the battery.  I have a main and auxiliary battery on and off Switch above the door in the coach.

I am going to divide the converter into two parts.. THE FAN and the rest of it.

THe fan runs on 12 volts and high heat. If the converter gets hot the fan comes on. Depending on who made the box it may well not care if it is "Plugged in" to shore/Genrator power or not, It is HOT and I'm Turning on the fan (or so says the Thermostat that powers the fan) This is the part you HEAR.

The rest of it runs all the time you are plugged in to shore or generator power  It can not run without,

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom