onan 5500 marquis generator Won't Turn over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jagua

I'm new here, so please forgive me if this was discussed somewhere else, but I just recently bought a 2006 Daybreak 3276 by Damon that has a 5500 Onan genny on it. The previous owner said that there are no issues with it, and it always ran. However, her husband who has passed always set that up, so not sure if there's something he may have done to get running. I can't get it running myself w/out jump starting it at the genny itself. It runs just fine after doing this, but just won't turn over/crank/start unless jumped. I can hear the fuel pump running when trying to start. Here's what I know:
1. All batteries seem to be good.
2. I've tried starting on the Genny itself and inside the coach.
3. It won't turn over with the coach running or plugged into Shore line.
4. Battery disconnect is NOT in store mode.
5. Has plenty of Gas/Oil.
6. All other electrical within the coach operate just fine (the slides, lights etc...)
7. Breakers on Genny are set to on.

Am I missing a switch somewhere that is used when it's stored that I'm not turning on, a fuse somewhere that I just can't find etc...? I've been banging my head on this ever since we go the coach. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated! 

If it works fine when you jump start it, you need to trace the cables from the generator back to the batteries. Has to be an open somewhere between the generator and the batteries.

A wild guess, but is this one that perhaps has it's own starting battery hidden nearby and it is dead??

Normally the genny is started from the house batteries, some are started from the engine or chassis batteries and a few may have their own special battery for starting.

I have tried starting using the AUX switch with no such luck.  I have thought about it possibly having it's own battery, but when I crawl up under there, I can't seem to find it (any idea of best place to look just in case there is one?).  I'll pull off the cables and makes sure they are all clean just to be sure, would love it if that's all it was.

Need clarification. Is the problem that it doesn't turn over at all without jumping it with jumper cables OR that it turns over real good but just doesn't start.

It doesn't turn over at all - I can hear the fuel pump, but there's nothing else, no clicking of the starter, no cranking - nothing unless it's being Jumped, then it starts right up.

How are you jump starting it ... with an external battery connected where the battery cable connects to the genset, or by shorting across the starter terminals?

The first says you have a bad connection between the generator and it's battery.  Corrosion can block the large currents needed to turn over the starter but may let lower currents for lights, etc. through.  The fact you can hear the fuel pump run means at least some voltage is reaching the generator.  Check all of the connections between the generator and the starter, including the ground wires at both ends and their connections to the chassis.

If you're jumping it by shorting across the starter solenoid terminals, the starter solenoid is bad.

I've hooked up an external battery to it to jump it, so it sounds like from all the comments, that I'll need to check all my connections and battery cables.

If your generator starts by simply jumping it with another battery, the problem is most likely caused by a weak RV battery. Some RV generators start off the chassis battery, and others off the house batteries, so you'll have to check to see which one starts your generator.

You said your batteries, "seem to be good" but how did you test them? The generator pulls a lot of amps when it's starting - a lot more, for example, than 12 volt lights need.

Kev

Kevin is correct to ask what you mean by "batteries seem good." Did you use a multi meter? Test house and engine batteries with the multi meter. Make sure all connections to house batteries are clean and tight. It should have started with the auxilliary switch. Try it with the engine running and let all batteries charge up just in case the engine battery is also too weak to start the generator.  I would check the acid in all batteries and give them a good charge, but not just a trickle charger or by leaving the motorhome connected to shore power.

HUGE thanks!!!  Took off all the cables from the terminals on the batteries and the Genny, got a wire brush at 'em, and put them back on.  The Genny started right up!!!!  Not sure why I didn't think of that, so glad you all were here to help out!

i have a 99 coachman Santara class C with a 4000 micro lite onan generator.  When I go to star it, as long as I hold the start button done it runs, let go of the stop button it it stops and shuts down.  Have no clue what is happening. any suggestions of what to check is appreciated. I m getting ready to sell it nd need it to run.

Steve

Steve,
I had that problem on a Onan 5500 last summer.  Turned out to be bad brushes on the genny end. 
Good luck with your problem.
flightsystems.com has some good troubleshooting guides.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom