EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: My Travel Trailer Wiring -- found connector cap outside with electrical tape  (Read 148 times)

keith c

• ---
So, this past weekend, I finally broke down and got the Trimetric 2030RV battery monitor installed to replace a cheap meter that I used to measure volts, amps, watts, but didn't indicate the charge level of my battery.  I had to do a little rewiring and found by chance that a cable from my converter, the tongue jack, and the battery were tied together with a wire connector screw terminal (used in home wiring) with electrical tape!  This connector sits outside in the elements!  I know some connectors are waterproof (filled with silicone), but this one was not and the wires were corroded.  I  guess nothing should surprise me anymore about the build quality.  I used a butt connector (heat shrink type for exterior use) to tie the battery wire to the converter wire and connected the electric tongue jack wire directly to the battery with terminal ring.  Not what I had planned to do, but I was glad to have found it before something went wrong. 
Keith C
2017 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost w/ Max Trailer Tow
2013 Jayco Eagle 304BHS
320 Watts of Solar
Michigan

Sprucegum

• ---
Build quality - what is that?   ::)

I also have an F-150 as TV, how do you like yours?
2014 Navion 24V on Mercedes Sprinter Chassis (SOLD)
Ready to roll after 9 years camping in one spot
F-150 TV
Shasta Revere 25BH

keith c

• ---
This is the third one I've had and I really like it.  We did our family National Park trip this year to Rocky Mountain National Park.  It's about 1300 miles from my house in Michigan.  The F150 had no problems with the mountains except it consumed a lot more gas climbing the mountains.  The turbo really helps at the higher elevations.  But even with the mountain driving, I averaged 9.5 MPG for 2600 miles.
Keith C
2017 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost w/ Max Trailer Tow
2013 Jayco Eagle 304BHS
320 Watts of Solar
Michigan

Sprucegum

• ---
That's pretty good considering you are using those little American gallons  ;D
2014 Navion 24V on Mercedes Sprinter Chassis (SOLD)
Ready to roll after 9 years camping in one spot
F-150 TV
Shasta Revere 25BH

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
You're going to love your RV 2030. It's been one of the best boondocking tools I've installed. I refer to it all the time. Boondocking without one is like driving without a fuel gauge.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Hosted by Over The Network