My Travel Trailer Wiring -- found connector cap outside with electrical tape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

So, this past weekend, I finally broke down and got the Trimetric 2030RV battery monitor installed to replace a cheap meter that I used to measure volts, amps, watts, but didn't indicate the charge level of my battery.  I had to do a little rewiring and found by chance that a cable from my converter, the tongue jack, and the battery were tied together with a wire connector screw terminal (used in home wiring) with electrical tape!  This connector sits outside in the elements!  I know some connectors are waterproof (filled with silicone), but this one was not and the wires were corroded.  I  guess nothing should surprise me anymore about the build quality.  I used a butt connector (heat shrink type for exterior use) to tie the battery wire to the converter wire and connected the electric tongue jack wire directly to the battery with terminal ring.  Not what I had planned to do, but I was glad to have found it before something went wrong. 

This is the third one I've had and I really like it.  We did our family National Park trip this year to Rocky Mountain National Park.  It's about 1300 miles from my house in Michigan.  The F150 had no problems with the mountains except it consumed a lot more gas climbing the mountains.  The turbo really helps at the higher elevations.  But even with the mountain driving, I averaged 9.5 MPG for 2600 miles.

You're going to love your RV 2030. It's been one of the best boondocking tools I've installed. I refer to it all the time. Boondocking without one is like driving without a fuel gauge.

Kev

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom