When do most Parks/Agencies start recruiting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KODIAKHERSHEY

We have been workcampers in 2 Fl State Parks. And, have been asked back to both over this winter.
We want to go out west next year. I have been searching for a place to spend the summer that is somewhere cooler than Florida.
When do most places post ads for the following year?
Thank you.

The more popular places recruit a year or more ahead. The smaller,lesser known ones, about three months ahead.  I use volunteer.gov to find our spots.

Thanks, for the reply. I'm thinking a more aggressive approach is needed. I may be behind the curve...
I'll find a great place.

In the west, I have found that if you contact a local forest service office in January or early February they can put you in touch with whoever is in charge of hiring campground hosts.  Some have electricity and hook ups, most you will be boondocking.  Sometimes they will pay you between $15-$25 a day, 5 days a week, but you will be providing your own gas/propane.

J

Well, we are going to spend the summer at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in Colorado. Really looking forward to the trip and the whole experience.
Stop by and see us...
John and Shirl
Enjoying the good life.

Love that area, we might be able to pop by! If you have time take a drive out to South Park City, it's a really interesting old town filled with stuff.  We really enjoyed it.

Well, our trip changed a lot, Arrived at Black Canyon of the Gunnison. We were working with another couple. They quit after 2 weeks. We then worked 36 days in a row. Then we quit. Can't take that kind of schedule any more.
Will give the details if anyone wants. Worst experience we have had in a campground.
Bottom line, if you go there Use the walk in sites C. Most DO NOT pay there, we tried to keep up with it, and was told by the head of LE(our boss) Don't worry if they pay or not, no one checks it.
We are currently in Grand Teton NP, loving the place, more travels to follow,
Best wiehes,
John and Shirl

Tonto national forest near Globe, AZ usually needs volunteers specially in the winter.
Higher altitude makes it cooler than Phoenix iusually about 7-10 degrees cooler but Lake Roosevelt is a great place to swim and 95 degrees in Arizona is much better than 95 degrees in Florida because the humidity is very low
Beautiful area .
Winter is the slow season at the Tonto Forest Camp grounds

Our only poor workcamping experience was at a US FS park. It was operated by a subcontractor and the manager was basically moonlighting at the park job while running her own healthcare business fulltime. The other workcamper couple got disgusted and quit so we were left alone like Kodiak. At one point we had over $2500 in gate receipts in our possession because the manager was never around to bank it.  Complained to upper management through their office at another park nearby, but nothing changed (our park manager claimed everything was working fine!).  We were near on a short term assignment before moving to another place, so we stuck it out, but swore to never again get stuck like that.  Several months later we got a letter of apology from the contractors head office, saying there would be new management at the park the following year and we were invited back. We declined.

For our next three workcamping gigs, we interviewed the park owners as much as they interviewed us!  We turned down two offers  where the management  couldn't provide adequate answers. The three we accepted (worked two summers at each) were privately owned parks and worked out well.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
For our next three workcamping gigs, we interviewed the park owners as much as they interviewed us!  We turned down two offers  where the management  couldn't provide adequate answers.

What sort of questions were you asking?

I hire work campers for Yellowstone and we have our ads posted by August, and interview in October for the following May start dates.

Back
Top Bottom