FMCA ballot to abandon motorhome only requirement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty Brewer said:
I am a long time ( 20 year plus)  RVForum member and a long time FMCA member.  I  am a volunteer in both organizations.  I was an officer in our  4 Wheeler Chapter  and did several seminars on FMCA member benefits.  What has been said about declining  membership in the National Organization was true until this past year where there was a slight gain in membership.  One of the most important issues for me in FMCA is the medical evacuation program.  Should  my husband have a medical emergency that  renders him unable to drive our motorhome, FMCAssist will arrange someone to transport our rig home. They will also fly in a family member to drive our rig home, they would transport him to  another medical facility providing all  procedures are followed.  Just last Monday I called 911 and had husband transported to Emergency Hospital in Salida,  Colorado.  It was  25 miles from our campground. You can bet I was grateful to have my $60 FMCA membership in hand as all kinds of possible scenarios could have followed.  Thankfully all is well now but what price insurance for peace of mind?

We also partake of  FMCA Rallies, Conventions and Shows. We  use the tire discount. We read the magazine. We go on caravans.  We have long time friends on this RVForum who have travel trailers and 5th wheels. As Charlie Adcock  past president said , it is all about having fun.  As RVers do we  care what our friends drive? The FMCA organization  is aging, fewer new members are joining.  If younger members join, our  benefits can remain as actuaries base rates on age. [size=12pt]I am  voting IN FAVOR of the move to allow towables [/size]in order to  make  FMCA more viable with the possibility of new members. I see no down side to the move.
Betty gives the reasons I hope FMCA allows towables. I have a travel trailer, and the benefits she identifies are ones I value too. FMCA would certainly gain another member if the change passes.

On an unrelated note, why do some people think it is important to be part of an exclusive club? I just don't get it. Motorhomes range in price from $1.5M or more to the $5,000 range. It doesn't seem like the exclusivity is based on cost or age or quality. I certainly do see the argument about rally topics potentially being diluted. Is that what folks mean? Not trying to be snarky at all; I am just curious.

As I see it the commonality of concerns of motorhome owners don't have much to do with the purchase cost / current value of the motorhome. 

Here is a list of just a few of the issues that motorhome owners face that are generally different for towable owners:

1, motorhome specific vehicle insurance

2, Motorhome specific drivers licenses are becoming common in more and more states, at least for larger class A's

3, Motorhome drivetrain servicing, towables can generally take their tow vehicle to the same auto mechanics that they use for their personal cars, not so for most motorhome owners

4, Motorhomes are much more likely to have self contained AC electrical systems which include generators, few if any towables are standardly equipped with generators, where almost all motorhomes are.

Brad, just in case you're not aware of it, FMCA has many rally activities for kids that range from tots to teens.  The kids seem to have a blast while their parents are off attending seminars on subjects of interest to them.

ArdraF

UTTransplant said:
On an unrelated note, why do some people think it is important to be part of an exclusive club? 
I personally just do, don't really need to explain it to you.  There are those that think everything needs to be homogenized and attack the very basis of exclusivity and that I don't understand.

ArdraF said:
Brad, just in case you're not aware of it, FMCA has many rally activities for kids that range from tots to teens.  The kids seem to have a blast while their parents are off attending seminars on subjects of interest to them.

ArdraF

Was that for me?  If so thanks ArdraF, I was not aware of that.  I have not been to a rally yet, as we just joined last year when we got the MH.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
FMCA leaders are focused on the fact that there are a lot more towable owners than motorhome owners. They seem to ignore that the absolute number of motorhome owners is still increasing while their membership continues to decline. The organization has lost over 40,000 members in the last 10 years, something like a 35% decline even though there are more motorhomes than ever on the road. To me that says that the organization has failed to remain relevant to the motorhome community. The RV industry ships over 2000 new Class A motorhomes every month, yet very few of those buyers become FMCA members. That's what FMCA needs to fix somehow.

There was an op-ed piece in the magazine from the president where he described the issue in detail.  I thought, at the time, that the fundamental strength of the FMCA was not in the national organization but in the hundreds of chapters, for instance the 4Wheeelers. Of course the national organization is the logical place to coordinate the various benefit programs although some tailoring might be helpful to the various chapters.  I don't know what percentage of the FMCA members participate in the national rallies compared to the far more numerous chapter events/meetings.  My point being that there's likely data to guide the planning for the future... people everywhere vote with their presence or not.  For example, if 10% of the members attend the national rallies and 80% of the members attend chapter meetings then cancel the nationals and put much, much more chapter information in the magazine... maybe even organize the magazine around chapters, especially the larger ones.  Then there's the question of full time compared to part time.  Full time MH/RV folks have a much different agenda than part timers, yet, the organization hardly ever even mentions it.  Of course, the national rallies are a prime venue for RV sales and marketing... but how many people in FMCA participate in this activity?  The seminars on operations/maintenance of RVs are really important but much of the information/material could be put on video and offered on-line.  As for 4-corner weight service, chapters could provide this?

It seems to me that if FMCA folds, the real loss would be the chapters which would not have national support or the FMCA benefits.  BTW, the chapter option offers a way to include the towables by region or interest (including younger age groups) or as part of the existing chapter complex.  Before you make any decisions about the FMCA it might make sense to look over the chapter list and note that 80% of the recent boom in RV purchases are sold to millennials.

Personally, the FMCA HQ might want to visit with Gary RV_Wizard cuz he tells it like it is, see above.

Rene T said:
I can see from some of these responses that I would not be welcomed at all so with that, I would never join. I didn't know that some peoples crap doesn't stink and that they put their pants on differently than me.
X2

FMCA has always focused on Chapters, it is really the heart and soul of the organization. They range all over the place and if a group of 20 members want to start a chapter, National even provides a coffee pot and other goodies. Chapters also fall under the National umbrella for liability insurance and taxes. We belonged to chapters for chassis owners, engine owners, religion, travel/rallies and one (3Ts) that only met after each national convention to relax, recharge, socialize and cleanup after the rally. I'm sure if, and when, membership is open to TTs many chapters will be formed to suit the needs and desires of TT owners in addition to the other chapters. There is no limit as to how many chapters to which you can belong, we had over a couple hundred to chose from. The monthly magazine listed all the chapter rallies of which it was aware for the next 6+ months, providing dates, locations and contacts. If you don't belong to a chapter it is your fault and your loss, it's a great way to meet new friends, travel and learn.

For those concerned about TTs taking over the convention seminars, seminars are scheduled based on the interests of attendees and availability of presenters. If enough TT owners attend the conventions, subjects geared to them will appear on the schedule without diluting those that are MH centric. There will always be the seminars on full-timing, tours, campgrounds, insurance, arts and crafts and other subjects common to all RVers.

By the way, the largest National convention we ever attended had about 7,000 coaches in attendance, less than 6% of the total membership. It was a great rally but I doubt if one that size could ever happen again due to logistic and location issues, even if current membership and attendance swells.

An interesting topic with many different points of view expressed.  I am not an FMCA member nor have I ever been solicited for membership as opposed to other RV organizations which tend to keep my mailbox full asking for membership and explaining the benefits of same. 

Gary RV Wizard has given an excellent response and hit the nail on the head - actually many nails on the head.  Membership organizations are, in general, on decline in this country.  My one example is the Air Force Association whose membership has been declining for many years and they have made many efforts to try and stem the tide. So far I don't think they are having much success.  Magazines are another area where subscriptions are on the decline. From what I can see (in the doctors office) they are nothing more than a lot of advertisements now with very little in the form of substance in their articles.

I continue to receive Motorhome magazine despite the fact that my subscription ended over a year ago.  The last issue convinced me as to why I would not subscribe any longer.  A huge percentage of the articles pertained to systems or features found only in the newer and more expensive coaches.  In other words they just don't speak my language.  Oh sure there are some articles of interest but not enough to want a subscription.

From what little I know of FMCA in this thread and on other boards I think they are just trying to survive by inviting towables to subscribe.  In the end I see a dwindling membership and a NO vote on their pending poll.  But I would hate to see any quality RV organization go by the boards and I wish the all the best.

Bill

Magazines are another area where subscriptions are on the decline. From what I can see (in the doctors office) they are nothing more than a lot of advertisements now with very little in the form of substance in their articles.
I think you have just described every magazine ever produced except Mad Magazine. ;D

SeilerBird said:
I think you have just described every magazine ever produced except Mad Magazine. ;D

He's right about the trend. Even with ads I used to subscribe to a lot of magazines in different fields, and in the
60s through the early '90s they pretty much all had plenty of articles that appealed to me, but as the magazines changed (many changing their focus, others just not up to the quality they'd once had, a couple even putting mild swear words in the text) I dropped subscriptions, so that I now only get 3 magazines, 2 because of organizations I belong to.

To name a few that used to be great: Popular Science, Petersen's Photographic, Stereo Review. I still get Flying magazine; though it's not quite up to what it used to be, it's still useful.

More likely this is due to the limits on political activity imposed by FMCA's tax exempt, non-profit status.  This includes limits on how much they can spend on lobbying.

I used to work for a 501c3 organization in a similar situation (the non-profit provided the operating funds for a radio station) and we had to be very careful how we interfaced with the political world.  Neutrality is the goal, advocate too heavily for one side or the other and you place the tax exempt status of the organization in jeopardy.

True, but not of any real significance here. The restrictions apply to lobbying for the election of political parties and candidates, not lobbying for  issues relevant to the organization's charter. Not-for-profit organizations for veterans, conservation, ecology, etc. all lobby extensively for their areas of interest. Heck, the NRA is a non-profit and they are one of the largest lobbies in Washington and many state capitals as well. Ditto for the AMA (medical).

There is a legal distinction between educating the public (and politicians) on a subject or advocating certain policies vs lobbying for the election of one candidate vs another. So yes, one must keep an eye on that distinction and not stray over the line, but it's not a reason to avoid getting involved. It is entirely legal and appropriate for an organization like FMCA to promote policies that favor park improvements and expansion, alter regulations that effect RVs, or anything else that benefits the RVing public.

Was that for me?  If so thanks ArdraF, I was not aware of that.  I have not been to a rally yet, as we just joined last year when we got the MH.

Ha!  Darned if I know - can't find the comment that made me think of writing it.  Maybe it was for the "other" Brad who has children.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy going to a rally.  You're bound to learn a lot about motorhoming.

ArdraF

Regarding Lobbying,, I belong to two or more non-profits that lobby heavily for issues related to the cause... One many of you will know well AARP.  The other some ARRL.

Both lobby for the cause.. As does Social Security Trust.

BernieD said:
FMCA has always focused on Chapters, it is really the heart and soul of the organization.

By the way, the largest National convention we ever attended had about 7,000 coaches in attendance, less than 6% of the total membership. It was a great rally but I doubt if one that size could ever happen again due to logistic and location issues, even if current membership and attendance swells.

If I counted correctly, there are maybe 3 pages out of 120 devoted to "chapters"...  "Heart and Soul" would indicate far greater coverage might be helpful????

SeilerBird said:
Tough selling ad space in magazines and news papers today.  Not the way of the young world!  Everything is on-line and in digital format in some way, for them.

Tough selling ad space in magazines and news papers today.

Yes, it is.  Forbes is forging a whole new digital platform that integrates both paper and digital.  As a retired technical librarian, I'll be interested in seeing how it all works out.  I'm a dinosaur and prefer my paper magazines, paper maps, etc.!  No Facebook, no Twitter.  Nothing like that interests me so publishers, who still have a lot of people like me to whom they must appeal, also must meet the needs of the techies who are thrilled by all the new digital media.  It's not easy!

ArdraF

SeilerBird said:

Ah ha...........I keep looking at your avatar scratching my head but now I get it! AEN
Big ol Grin

To me there's is not benefits to FMCA.  I have family members that can travel and recover my motor home if I can't so assist is not benefit to me.

My tires have a Oct 2016 date so I have 6 years on them so I can join don't need the tire benefit for another 6 years.  I can join for year and take advantage of the discount

Rallies - Nothing I hate more than thousand coaches park in field on questionable power in space that should only be a couple hundred and praying that don't rain and take two days to get the stuck coaches out of the mud. 

Local groups.  Now that laugh.  Our local group reserves 10 spaces and hope three show up.  That last one one and only one I attend offered me the president since all of them has held the office more than once.

I agree that FMCA is gong to become a Good Sams Light or you can say it's a Good Sam without the benefits. 

Some local FMCA chapters are very active and attract sizable following. Others have more-or-less gone dormant after an initial period of activity. It's really just a matter of the local membership - you only get out of it what you and your fellow members put in. As with any club, there are always many more takers than givers. A few work hard to provide club benefits for the many [and are usually rewarded with gripes and slander].

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom