FMCA ballot to abandon motorhome only requirement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But looking at the pictures posted for our local chapter, and others, it doesn't really seem like there's others in our demographic involved..... while at 50 I'm closing  in on it by age, my youngest kid is still quite young.  Looks to be more of a grandparent type membership

That's an oft-repeated perception, and if that's the case, inviting towable owners to join won't change anything much. They will just  glance at it and say "not for me".

FMCA leaders are focused on the fact that there are a lot more towable owners than motorhome owners. They seem to ignore that the absolute number of motorhome owners is still increasing while their membership continues to decline. The organization has lost over 40,000 members in the last 10 years, something like a 35% decline even though there are more motorhomes than ever on the road. To me that says that the organization has failed to remain relevant to the motorhome community. The RV industry ships over 2000 new Class A motorhomes every month, yet very few of those buyers become FMCA members. That's what FMCA needs to fix somehow.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
FMCA leaders are focused on the fact that there are a lot more towable owners than motorhome owners. They seem to ignore that the absolute number of motorhome owners is still increasing while their membership continues to decline. The organization has lost over 40,000 members in the last 10 years, something like a 35% decline even though there are more motorhomes than ever on the road. To me that says that the organization has failed to remain relevant to the motorhome community. The RV industry ships over 2000 new Class A motorhomes every month, yet very few of those buyers become FMCA members. That's what FMCA needs to fix somehow.

But no one, including your self, knows what that "somehow" is. The all volunteer leader ship has been thrashing that "somehow"  around for several years, even asking for input from the membership.
Please, Please if any one has an answer to that "somehow", step up to the plate and offer resolution to the issue before it's too late. All I hear so far is complaints and no input on how to increase membership.

Unfortunately part of the reason for FMCA's financial stress is the rapidly rising cost of providing FMCA Assist at no charge. It is a benefit that is far more beneficial to those who travel a good part of the year but we provide it to all members. For us to replace FMCA Assist the cost would exceed our dues by a good amount so I do not believe it can continue to be a free benefit.

Also IIRC the Executive Director claimed the membership was recovering.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Who/what dealer, what manufacturer, or group of dealers sell the most of those new motorhomes?  To me, FMCA (and I am brand new to motorhomes/RVs, and not yet an FMCA member) should be addressing those manufacturers and dealers to be "pushing" the FMCA organization.  I never even heard about "FMCA" before getting on this, and other, RV forums.
Much like CampingWorld "pushes" Good Sam?  New/young folks that are in the market for a motorhome are also in the market for the benefits that FMCA can provide.
Just an opinion from an "outsider". 

rls7201 said:
But no one, including your self, knows what that "somehow" is. The all volunteer leader ship has been thrashing that "somehow"  around for several years, even asking for input from the membership.

my 2 cents worth.... I hinted at it in my previous post
but I think it has to do with a very dated and stagnant business model.
By the time the magazine hits my mailbox it's obsolete.... well not really, since the subject matter for the most part isn't so time sensitive....but still it's a similar idea... very limited amount of content, very slow to receive
when i can get exponentially more online just by visiting rvforum or youtube...and instantly too....
When i first joined I considered ordering an atlas just to have on-hand as a reference back-up.  They had sent some coupon in my membership packet ($5 off maybe?)  I was was surprised to see that it was a mail order format.  At that point they didn't even have an online order option!

So...I would think to really get some young folks in on staff or as a consultant to revamp everything.  Get in on the whole facebook/instagram/twitter concept
Set up a website that is a true resource
lots of info, entertainment, perhaps a good forum like this one, reference materials, perhaps some navigation tools
perhaps some useful smartphone apps....
perhaps driving training courses for new RV'ers

Interesting thread.  I didn't even know of FMCA until my first GNR 3 years ago, and then no one explained or said what these oval tags were.  Might do Winnebago good to also include FMCA information along with WIT.

Magazines and anything in print is slowly falling by the wayside.  I prefer the feel of paper in my hand, not in print on my iPad.  Just today I read the Ft. Wayne, Indiana newspaper is going only to digital.  So much for the thump of the paper landing on a doorstep.

Many organizations have trouble getting new blood.  Look at the Masons, the Lions, and the women's groups like PEO.  I'm guessing the younger generation connects just thru their smart phones??

I just joined FMCA, partially for benefits and maybe also to meet some new people.  Just as I have trouble finding friends who have a horse and want to trail ride, I have trouble finding friends who have a motorhome or trailer and who like to camp.

I enjoy this forum for the information.  Motorhome and the FMCA might have an article pertinent to me but over time, become repetitive, just like Horse and Rider magazine and even Better Homes and Gardens.  How much new stuff can be printed each month?

As far as the vote, I don't know.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

Spot on.

Unfortunately, they also have a mostly undeserved reputation of having snotty members. When we started RV'ing a few years ago, I asked some fellow campers what the FMCA oval on motorhomes was? Most of the answers I received was it was a club that was for the hoity-toity people (snots). Sadly, that is, for the most part, not true. I have found quite a few that are pretty much the same as everybody else. Yes, I have ran across a few snots with the oval, but I have have also ran across snots that didn't display the oval, or even have a motorhome. Every faction has their 10%. When something negative starts getting spread around, whether true or not, it becomes "the truth" and like most negative stuff, goes like wildfire.

I helped start up an ownership group for a 5er we had, and ironically the model used was FMCA.  The biggest reason for it's modest success is it is brand specific which automatically builds somewhat of a bond between members.  It is a paid site that sponsors rallies, discounts, and most importantly - a top notch forum.  The forum is the common thread that keeps it alive and is a conduit of communication for the group not otherwise available.  They have a newsletter, but it slow getting off the ground and I don't think it will survive long for all the reasons stated above about the magazine.

To me, FMCA needs to dump that awful forum and investigate something new.  Forget the magazine, and remain loyal to the exclusivity of the following it was founded on.  I didn't buy membership for travel insurance (I would pay extra if I wanted it).  The vehicle insurance offer was more expensive than what I found on my own, and the tire discount is easily obtained over the counter at Michelin without FMCA as I have heard.  I bought membership because I always admired it as an exclusive club that I fit in now.  Let the towables fit into a sister group.     

blw2 said:
my 2 cents worth.... I hinted at it in my previous post
but I think it has to do with a very dated and stagnant business model.
By the time the magazine hits my mailbox it's obsolete.... well not really, since the subject matter for the most part isn't so time sensitive....but still it's a similar idea... very limited amount of content, very slow to receive
when i can get exponentially more online just by visiting rvforum or youtube...and instantly too....
When i first joined I considered ordering an atlas just to have on-hand as a reference back-up.  They had sent some coupon in my membership packet ($5 off maybe?)  I was was surprised to see that it was a mail order format.  At that point they didn't even have an online order option!

So...I would think to really get some young folks in on staff or as a consultant to revamp everything.  Get in on the whole facebook/instagram/twitter concept
Set up a website that is a true resource
lots of info, entertainment, perhaps a good forum like this one, reference materials, perhaps some navigation tools
perhaps some useful smartphone apps....
perhaps driving training courses for new RV'ers

Good stuff..............I'll make sure your 2? worth is in the FMCA Prez' mail box.

Thanks

And a response from Jon Walker (FMCA Prez)

"Go to www.JoinJonsJourney.com.

Sign up to receive my updates on my journey as your new President.  We are posting to our FMCA website blogs, to the RVillage site blogs, to the Facebook posts, and to the Tweeter posts.  Beyond my comprehension,?..but is the way our new, younger staff wants me to keep up with members between issues of the magazine??..so???.Join Jon?s Journey!!

Looks like FMCA is not as much of a "stagnant business model" as you anticipated. There may be hope yet.

It's not a simple problem to change a culture and a perception. I think there are several areas that FMCA needs to attack aggressively IF they want to become a larger and more effective organization rather than just a social club. But they probably need to change only if they want to continue to provide expensive free benefits, e.g. the FMCA Assist.

Areas that I would address include:

1. Better brand marketing and name recognition. Many people simply don't know it exists or what its member benefits are.

2. There is no active program to reach and enlist new motorhome buyers. This goes hand in hand with #1.

3. Become a better resource for its members, both technically and socially. There could be a huge repository of knowledge available thru FMCA, e.g. brand & model info, tech articles on 100's of topics, reviews and info, etc. FMCA already has a forum, but it has low activity and lacks things like the Library and Glossary we have here. If a volunteer site like this can manage that, why not one with a paid staff?

4. Strive to become a voice for motorhome owners, proactively pushing for improved quality, new standards for RV systems and components, provide amicus curiae opinions to courts and legislatures on RV-related topics, etc. This is a major cultural change for FMCA - they have a long history of neutrality and avoiding positions on anything. That was probably an outgrowth of their historically friendly relations with RV makers and their magazine advertisers, but that no longer seems to be a benefit to the organization, nor what younger and more opinionated owners are looking for.

5. Become more active in RVing discount programs and product programs. Some effort has been made on this, e.g. the tire discount program, but the RV park discount program is a flop and there is no fuel or travel discount program at all that I know of.  This area ties back to #4 - the FMCA label has to stand for something in order to gain traction with vendors. Strict neutrality in products & services avoids enemies but wins no friends.

None of this is easy to achieve. It probably needs more marketing experts on the FMCA staff or as consultants, but it also requires a major cultural shift ah FMCA HQ.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
4. Strive to become a voice for motorhome owners, proactively pushing for improved quality, new standards for RV systems and components, provide amicus curiae opinions to courts and legislatures on RV-related topics, etc. This is a major cultural change for FMCA - they have a long history of neutrality and avoiding positions on anything. That was probably an outgrowth of their historically friendly relations with RV makers and their magazine advertisers, but that no longer seems to be a benefit to the organization, nor what younger and more opinionated owners are looking for.

More likely this is due to the limits on political activity imposed by FMCA's tax exempt, non-profit status.  This includes limits on how much they can spend on lobbying.

I used to work for a 501c3 organization in a similar situation (the non-profit provided the operating funds for a radio station) and we had to be very careful how we interfaced with the political world.  Neutrality is the goal, advocate too heavily for one side or the other and you place the tax exempt status of the organization in jeopardy.

Escapees and Good Sam are tax paying, for-profit organizations so they're free to spend as much as they want on political activities, and both are vocal lobbyists for RVers rights.

Lou Schneider said:
More likely this is due to the limits on political activity imposed by FMCA's tax exempt, non-profit status.  This includes limits on how much they can spend on lobbying.

I used to work for a 501c3 organization in a similar situation (the non-profit provided the operating funds for a radio station) and we had to be very careful how we interfaced with the political world.  Neutrality is the goal, advocate too heavily for one side or the other and you place the tax exempt status of the organization in jeopardy.

Escapees and Good Sam are tax paying, for-profit organizations so they're free to spend as much as they want on political activities, and both are vocal lobbyists for RVers rights.
So what is the strategic benefit of them staying as non-profit?  Maybe they should convert if it works for the others.

Mile High said:
I helped start up an ownership group for a 5er we had, and ironically the model used was FMCA.  The biggest reason for it's modest success is it is brand specific which automatically builds somewhat of a bond between members.  It is a paid site that sponsors rallies, discounts, and most importantly - a top notch forum.  The forum is the common thread that keeps it alive and is a conduit of communication for the group not otherwise available.  They have a newsletter, but it slow getting off the ground and I don't think it will survive long for all the reasons stated above about the magazine.

To me, FMCA needs to dump that awful forum and investigate something new.  Forget the magazine, and remain loyal to the exclusivity of the following it was founded on.  I didn't buy membership for travel insurance (I would pay extra if I wanted it).  The vehicle insurance offer was more expensive than what I found on my own, and the tire discount is easily obtained over the counter at Michelin without FMCA as I have heard.  I bought membership because I always admired it as an exclusive club that I fit in now.  Let the towables fit into a sister group.   

But yet you're a member of WIT that also allows towables without a sister group

I am a long time ( 20 year plus)  RVForum member and a long time FMCA member.  I  am a volunteer in both organizations.  I was an officer in our  4 Wheeler Chapter  and did several seminars on FMCA member benefits.  What has been said about declining  membership in the National Organization was true until this past year where there was a slight gain in membership.  One of the most important issues for me in FMCA is the medical evacuation program.  Should  my husband have a medical emergency that  renders him unable to drive our motorhome, FMCAssist will arrange someone to transport our rig home. They will also fly in a family member to drive our rig home, they would transport him to  another medical facility providing all  procedures are followed.  Just last Monday I called 911 and had husband transported to Emergency Hospital in Salida,  Colorado.  It was  25 miles from our campground. You can bet I was grateful to have my $60 FMCA membership in hand as all kinds of possible scenarios could have followed.  Thankfully all is well now but what price insurance for peace of mind?

We also partake of  FMCA Rallies, Conventions and Shows. We  use the tire discount. We read the magazine. We go on caravans.  We have long time friends on this RVForum who have travel trailers and 5th wheels. As Charlie Adcock  past president said , it is all about having fun.  As RVers do we  care what our friends drive? The FMCA organization  is aging, fewer new members are joining.  If younger members join, our  benefits can remain as actuaries base rates on age. [size=12pt]I am  voting IN FAVOR of the move to allow towables [/size]in order to  make  FMCA more viable with the possibility of new members. I see no down side to the move.

mweber (KC9NPT) said:
But yet you're a member of WIT that also allows towables without a sister group
But I didn't join WIT because of exclusivity to motorhomes, I joined WIT because of the exclusivity to Winnebago/Itasca.  If they started allowing Tiffen or Bighorn owners to join, I would drop them too.

Betty Brewer said:
I am a long time ( 20 year plus)  RVForum member and a long time FMCA member.  I  am a volunteer in both organizations.  I was an officer in our  4 Wheeler Chapter  and did several seminars on FMCA member benefits.  What has been said about declining  membership in the National Organization was true until this past year where there was a slight gain in membership.  One of the most important issues for me in FMCA is the medical evacuation program.  Should  my husband have a medical emergency that  renders him unable to drive our motorhome, FMCAssist will arrange someone to transport our rig home. They will also fly in a family member to drive our rig home, they would transport him to  another medical facility providing all  procedures are followed.  Just last Monday I called 911 and had husband transported to Emergency Hospital in Salida,  Colorado.  It was  25 miles from our campground. You can bet I was grateful to have my $60 FMCA membership in hand as all kinds of possible scenarios could have followed.  Thankfully all is well now but what price insurance for peace of mind?

We also partake of  FMCA Rallies, Conventions and Shows. We  use the tire discount. We read the magazine. We go on caravans.  We have long time friends on this RVForum who have travel trailers and 5th wheels. As Charlie Adcock  past president said , it is all about having fun.  As RVers do we  care what our friends drive? The FMCA organization  is aging, fewer new members are joining.  If younger members join, our  benefits can remain as actuaries base rates on age. [size=12pt]I am  voting IN FAVOR of the move to allow towables [/size]in order to  make  FMCA more viable with the possibility of new members. I see no down side to the move.

Good post, Betty. Susan agrees with you. I kinda don't, but WTH. We'll vote with you. Glad all is well.

Don

Betty Brewer said:

Betty, you make some very solid points, I am not sure if I am swayed to change my vote, but you have given me food for thought.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom