EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: FMCA ballot to abandon motorhome only requirement  (Read 2751 times)

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
Re: FMCA ballot to abandon motorhome only requirement
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
I think you have just described every magazine ever produced except Mad Magazine. ;D

He's right about the trend. Even with ads I used to subscribe to a lot of magazines in different fields, and in the
60s through the early '90s they pretty much all had plenty of articles that appealed to me, but as the magazines changed (many changing their focus, others just not up to the quality they'd once had, a couple even putting mild swear words in the text) I dropped subscriptions, so that I now only get 3 magazines, 2 because of organizations I belong to.

To name a few that used to be great: Popular Science, Petersen's Photographic, Stereo Review. I still get Flying magazine; though it's not quite up to what it used to be, it's still useful.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2017, 10:02:04 AM »
More likely this is due to the limits on political activity imposed by FMCA's tax exempt, non-profit status.  This includes limits on how much they can spend on lobbying.

I used to work for a 501c3 organization in a similar situation (the non-profit provided the operating funds for a radio station) and we had to be very careful how we interfaced with the political world.  Neutrality is the goal, advocate too heavily for one side or the other and you place the tax exempt status of the organization in jeopardy.

True, but not of any real significance here. The restrictions apply to lobbying for the election of political parties and candidates, not lobbying for  issues relevant to the organization's charter. Not-for-profit organizations for veterans, conservation, ecology, etc. all lobby extensively for their areas of interest. Heck, the NRA is a non-profit and they are one of the largest lobbies in Washington and many state capitals as well. Ditto for the AMA (medical).

There is a legal distinction between educating the public (and politicians) on a subject or advocating certain policies vs lobbying for the election of one candidate vs another. So yes, one must keep an eye on that distinction and not stray over the line, but it's not a reason to avoid getting involved. It is entirely legal and appropriate for an organization like FMCA to promote policies that favor park improvements and expansion, alter regulations that effect RVs, or anything else that benefits the RVing public.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:12:45 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »
Was that for me?  If so thanks ArdraF, I was not aware of that.  I have not been to a rally yet, as we just joined last year when we got the MH.

Ha!  Darned if I know - can't find the comment that made me think of writing it.  Maybe it was for the "other" Brad who has children.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy going to a rally.  You're bound to learn a lot about motorhoming.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2017, 05:06:06 PM »
Regarding Lobbying,, I belong to two or more non-profits that lobby heavily for issues related to the cause... One many of you will know well AARP.  The other some ARRL.

Both lobby for the cause.. As does Social Security Trust.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2017, 05:20:35 PM »
FMCA has always focused on Chapters, it is really the heart and soul of the organization.

By the way, the largest National convention we ever attended had about 7,000 coaches in attendance, less than 6% of the total membership. It was a great rally but I doubt if one that size could ever happen again due to logistic and location issues, even if current membership and attendance swells.

If I counted correctly, there are maybe 3 pages out of 120 devoted to "chapters"...  "Heart and Soul" would indicate far greater coverage might be helpful????
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

phil-t

• ---
  • Here For The Duration
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2017, 05:58:18 PM »
I think you have just described every magazine ever produced except Mad Magazine. ;D
Tough selling ad space in magazines and news papers today.  Not the way of the young world!  Everything is on-line and in digital format in some way, for them.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an F53 Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2017, 06:23:32 PM »
Tough selling ad space in magazines and news papers today.

Yes, it is.  Forbes is forging a whole new digital platform that integrates both paper and digital.  As a retired technical librarian, I'll be interested in seeing how it all works out.  I'm a dinosaur and prefer my paper magazines, paper maps, etc.!  No Facebook, no Twitter.  Nothing like that interests me so publishers, who still have a lot of people like me to whom they must appeal, also must meet the needs of the techies who are thrilled by all the new digital media.  It's not easy!

ArdraF
ArdraF

rls7201

• ---
« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2017, 07:36:28 PM »

Ah ha...........I keep looking at your avatar scratching my head but now I get it! AEN
Big ol Grin
Richard  & Michele Shields
& Eg the Bounder Cat
Gladstone, MO
95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker

CWSWine

• ---
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2017, 10:45:29 PM »
To me there's is not benefits to FMCA.  I have family members that can travel and recover my motor home if I can't so assist is not benefit to me.

My tires have a Oct 2016 date so I have 6 years on them so I can join don't need the tire benefit for another 6 years.  I can join for year and take advantage of the discount

Rallies - Nothing I hate more than thousand coaches park in field on questionable power in space that should only be a couple hundred and praying that don't rain and take two days to get the stuck coaches out of the mud. 

Local groups.  Now that laugh.  Our local group reserves 10 spaces and hope three show up.  That last one one and only one I attend offered me the president since all of them has held the office more than once.

I agree that FMCA is gong to become a Good Sams Light or you can say it's a Good Sam without the benefits. 

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:48:50 PM by CWSWine »
-Dennis
Current
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 380HP 1150 Foot Pounds Torque 41.3 feet bath and half.
sold 2017 GMC Denali 3500 Diesel CC 3744
sold 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2015 F350 SRW Super Cab
Sold 2016 - Montana 3711 Front Living Room 5er
SOLD - Crusader 315RST 5e

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2017, 07:45:09 AM »
Some local FMCA chapters are very active and attract sizable following. Others have more-or-less gone dormant after an initial period of activity. It's really just a matter of the local membership - you only get out of it what you and your fellow members put in. As with any club, there are always many more takers than givers. A few work hard to provide club benefits for the many [and are usually rewarded with gripes and slander].
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Drifterrider

• ---
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2017, 12:00:08 PM »
and in other news.... Looks like the Boy Scouts of America will admit Girls soon.

Same news, different channel

When I was a Boy Scout I would have supported this: as would have all of the boys in my Troup. :)

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2017, 02:18:09 PM »
When I was a Boy Scout I would have supported this: as would have all of the boys in my Troup. :)

It's called BOY Scouts (all boys) for a reason and GIRL Scouts (all girls) for a reason.
Those jamborees could get pretty interesting, don't ya think?   ::) :-X
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 02:21:10 PM by Rene T »
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2017, 11:17:20 PM »
So, what do you get when you cross a motorhome with a towable?   8)

kdbgoat

• ---
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2017, 06:07:11 PM »
Well now, I've changed positions. After a lot of soul searching, I could not think of a single reason why trailers/5th Wheels shouldn't be a part of the group. My vote is being cast in favor of the measure passing.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2017, 08:41:39 PM »
I've decided not to vote - with only a year in the FMCA and not ever have been to a rally I don't want to cast a vote against others with a higher passion and history.  If it goes to trailers I'll drop membership and move on.
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2017, 11:25:49 PM »
You should vote, this is being sold as must pass to gain membership, if you are going to drop out if it passes that does not help anything.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2017, 06:00:38 AM »
I don't want to cast a vote against others with a higher passion and history.

And that makes your opinion less valuable than anyone else's? Why give up your right/privilege to vote?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2017, 06:27:20 AM »
FMCA leaders are focused on the fact that there are a lot more towable owners than motorhome owners. They seem to ignore that the absolute number of motorhome owners is still increasing while their membership continues to decline. The organization has lost over 40,000 members in the last 10 years, something like a 35% decline even though there are more motorhomes than ever on the road. To me that says that the organization has failed to remain relevant to the motorhome community. The RV industry ships over 2000 new Class A motorhomes every month, yet very few of those buyers become FMCA members. That's what FMCA needs to fix somehow.

Sorry for the late reply Gary but you hit the nail on the head. I had never even heard of FMCA until about a year after I bought my used motorhome in 2014.  I have never been approached by them via any medium to become a member.  I belong to several other state and national RV organizations which seem to sell my name frequently to others  who want to solicit my business.  Funny that FMCA has never approached me and I assume that they are not approaching a lot of new motorhome owners (either new or used coaches).  It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 5 months

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2017, 05:33:26 PM »
We got our one-year "trial" FMCA membership when we bought our first NEW Monaco.  Doubt it's included with used units.  There are several Monaco chapters within FMCA, so perhaps there's one for your RV too.

By the way, ALL members should vote.  We will although not decided which way.

ArdraF
ArdraF

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2017, 06:26:54 PM »
Better hope the Russians don't get wind of this vote or they'll hack into the system and destroy everything!! 
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »
FMCA leaders are focused on the fact that there are a lot more towable owners than motorhome owners. They seem to ignore that the absolute number of motorhome owners is still increasing while their membership continues to decline. The organization has lost over 40,000 members in the last 10 years, something like a 35% decline even though there are more motorhomes than ever on the road. To me that says that the organization has failed to remain relevant to the motorhome community. The RV industry ships over 2000 new Class A motorhomes every month, yet very few of those buyers become FMCA members. That's what FMCA needs to fix somehow.

After attending the National Rally in Chandler this past March, it's hard to believe membership is falling.  We've only been to two Rallys.  The Western Conference two years ago and the National.  The Western Conference was fun.  The National was not.  The turnout, apparently much larger than anticipated, led to major parking issues and for many, long walks to classrooms that were full.   As a result of our experience, I have no interest in attending another National Rally.  While it's not likely we'll drop our membership, if the fee increased significantly, I'd have to rethink that decision.  Not because of the money.  But really, there's not much value that I see.  The tire deal never really appealed to me.  I purchased a set of Sumitomo's for less than $1,700 installed.  They ride as well as the Michelins that were on our motorhome.  And while they were 7 years old, the Michelins only had 5 or 6,000 miles on them.  Never checked the price of the Michelins but I'd be surprised if they weren't at least another $1,000 more.  I get both the hard copy and the electronic edition of the monthly magazine.  I've asked FMCA to stop sending the hard copy.  It still comes.  I would think a hard copy would be sent only if and when a member requests one.  Other than introducing new RV's, the vast majority of the magazine is a rehash of prior months articles.  Seriously a gross waste of money.  While the Med evacuation program makes sense for seniors, I doubt it has the much appeal to young members.   

Gary RV Wizard is correct.  FMCA needs to fix its dwindling membership.  However, I doubt FMCA has a good handle on why membership is declining or why new owners are not signing up.  That would be a good starting place.  To simply invite non-motorized RVer into the club, increases membership but does nothing to address the reason membership declined in the first place.   FMCA needs to ask owners who have dropped their membership to let them know why.  They also need to reach out to new owners.  Do new owners even know about the FMCA?  And while there may be 2,000 new motorhome sales every month, how many are sold to coach owners who are upgrading.  And not to offend anyone, but how many younger owners who are purchasing for the first time want to connect with a group of typical FMCA members who generally are retired seniors. 

I don't know enough about the history of the FMCA but suspect it grew significantly as the Baby Boomers were cashing in their high valued homes and moving to areas where they could purchase a comparable home and have a significant chunk of money remaining which allowed them to pay cash or at least a large down payment toward a pretty nice motorhome.  That well is drying up.  The next generation is not as flush. 

Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Hosted by Over The Network