2001 Bounder with 5.9 ISB, Area Diesel module....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BartandJulie

Albeit an older coach, I'm hoping someone may have some info regarding an upgrade I'm thinking about.
Stock the ISB has 275hp and 660 ft/lbs of torque in front of an Allison 3060.

Area Diesel has a module that plugs into the VP44 injector pump (plug and play harness).
The module alters some parameters that can provide up to 20% increase in performance, this pending on the load placed on the engine. Also claimed in an increase in fuel mileage apparently due to slight altering of the timing.

So at 20% this would be 330hp and 790 ft/lbs of torque. Well below max torque limit on the Allison, but above the HP limit.

Does anyone have any experience with this module from Area Diesel? Or have any other experience with engine upgrades on this older ISB?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Bart

I would take those claims for increased performance with several grains of salt. Notice is says "up to 20%", not a flat guarantee of 20%.  And ignore the mpg claim altogether.  Not saying there won't be any performance improvement at all, but beware of the hype. I don't think you need worry much about getting that 330 hp. Plus I suspect the Allison 3060 could handle it on your motorhome, even though it stretches the rating a bit. That's just conjecture, but the motorhome application is considered light duty by Allison.

Which "module" product are you talking about, and what evidence do they have to back up their claims? E.g. horsepower & torque curves from dyno testing. And is the engine & vehicle tested the same as yours? Diesels are configured differently for different applications and some can benefit more (or less) than others from a given technique. The 5.9L in a Dodge pick-up is a somewhat different animal than the "same" 5.9L engine in a motorhome. Air and fuel systems differ, as do transmissions and rear axle gearing.

https://areadieselservice.com/diesel-power-products/product/20300/

This is the module i'm looking at. Although listed for the Dodge Trucks, they have told me it is 100% compatible with the Bounder ISB 24V with VP44 pump. I suspect this is due to it plugging into the pump directly.
I've asked for some charts to show hp and torque.

Bart

I sure it is "compatible", but that doesn't necessarily mean the same benefits.

3-4 mpg improvement would be a 40-50% boost for your motorhome. Is that really credible? And that "20k load" they reference is the everyday weight of your coach, not a once in awhile thing.

But with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and relatively simple plug & play, you can give it a try. Just make sure you give it a good work out within that 30 days.

I would try the local Cummins shop to get their advice. There's a good chance that they may be able to "turn it up" for you.

Your motorhome likely uses twice as much fuel as a pickup with the same engine so at the most you'll gain half as many mpgs as a pickup with the same engine.

If simply changing the timing can give those kinds of gains, you have to wonder why the factory didn't do it.  They're not dummies.  It must produce a corresponding drawback in another area.

They have not been able to produce any charts/graphs of sorts to see a "before and after' comparison. Until then I'll sit tight.
Grant it I'm not looking for huge numbers...

Right now it's quite "flat" on initial takeoff. It won't add fuel until the turbo spools up, but the turbo wont spool without adding fuel.....(no black smoke....)
My hope was that this module could provide the extra "squirt" to get things moving...

Bart

My hope was that this module could provide the extra "squirt" to get things moving...

That "extra squirt" isn't going to do a lot to overcome the inertia of the turbo -- it takes time to go from still to thousands of RPM. Airplanes, diesels, gas-burners, truck, car or motorhome, that turbo takes a little time to spool up.

If its turbo-lag that bothers you, get a supercharger!  But I think that's not a major factor. Inertia is the killer - you are getting a lot of weight underway.  Your tach probably shows the engine rpms climbing quickly to the max hp/torque arena, but the coach ain't moving much yet.

Just drove my in-laws "new" to them MH. Its an "00 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with a 7.2 cat in it. It gets up and goes....makes sense, more displacement more grunt...

I'll stick with what I've got and learn to be patient....
Did get back info on the Area Diesel module...may still go that route.

Bart, I too have been looking at this for my 1999 Discovery, I have the same 5.9!as you, the only review I found from someone that had it in an RV was positive, it will be after the first of the year before I purchase, if you take the plunge b4 then I?d love to know the results.

Thanks

Well, here is an update.
Coach is a Bounder 39Z, GVWR 26K pulling a Ford Edge (3-4k?)
Keep in mind my setup is bone stock as far as the exhaust and intake plumbing/air filter goes.
I had concerns with the trans. The Allison 3060 is rated for 300hp max and 950ft/lb of torque.
The "stock" output of the ISB in the Bounder was at 275hp. The module would / could show hp increase up to 60hp.
Although I have not found the spec. I cannot imagine more than 660ft/lb of torque with the 275hp rating.

Torque is what gets you going and up and over the hills...

I took the plunge and bought the module after talking to the gents at Area Diesel again. At the same time I purchased a boost and pyro guage although according to Area Diesel the module should not push the EGT past acceptable limits.

This was the kit via Amazon:
Hewitt 010TM5008 Combo Pyrometer & Boost Gauge - 2 Gauge Kit priced at 139...Very reasonable.
Additionally I purchased 50ft of 3/16 airline from our local truck supply store and 50ft of 16/2AWG flexible JSO cord.
.....and ran it through Carlon ENT conduit, to the back of the coach.

Without the module installed, max boost pressure observed was 20-22PSI, Max EGT1150
Mind you stock performance was "ok", but is was very sluggish of the line playing the "I need boost before I will fuel more" game.
Going up inclines at 60-65 it would downshift, upshift.....downshift again...upshift.

Installing the module made a big difference, especially when starting from a dead stop. However the EGT's were out of control.
Was able to hit 1300 in a heartbeat when starting to pull a hill.

When I would "feather" the throttle and keep the boost just on the edge of 20-22 psi, the temps were fine, push the throttle harder and boost would stay the same, but temps would climb fast.

Made perfect sense....adding more fuel and not increasing the boost resulted in more heat....

Now there are all kinds of gizmos and gadgets for increasing the boost pressure. I wanted to increase mine 10psi.
...A "Boost Elbow"......(nothing more than a 90 degree air fitting with a setscrew). I tried this, found it to be a pita and discarded it.
...A larger spring/diaphragm for the turbo...(there was no way I was pulling the turbo off to get to the spring and diaphragm)

It took a lot of searching, but I found my simple solution. ......A brass pneumatic check valve with 10 psi cracking pressure....
Placed inline with the waste gate actuator should give me ~30-32psi of boost pressure (10 psi check + 20 psi waste gate)
This did require a small bleed-port between the check-valve and actuator, to bleed off the pressure and allow the waste gate to close again. Bleed-port size is aprox. .020" to .030".

Installed all the components and went on a 3 week trip throughout the States, starting from MI, to New Orleans area, then towards and up the East coast. 3 Adults, 4 pups, 1 toad....

I am super happy with this mod, it performed as expected. It pulls the hills beatifully (night and day difference)
Yes it will still downshift when needed.(lol..... we did not create a 400hp "Monster motor")
I watched the temps when pulling hard boost 30-32 psi, 1150-1200 max. Also on occasion I would manually downshift if needed as to not "lug" the motor, the increase in rpm would lower the egt temps....

So that's my .02 on this mod. Definitely worth it on the older 24V ISB's out there IMHO.

Happy Travels.

Bart

Attachments

• 20171025_180221.jpg
    20171025_180221.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 27
Hi Bart,
I have  almost the same motorhome as yours and I am going to do the same thing to mine. I would like to know where you got the brass check valve and how you made the bleed valve. Is it possible to talk to you on the phone?

Thanks Don

Back
Top Bottom