Consider travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparty

Hello all, hope you are well.
I am considering buying a 18 to 25 foot travel trailer to use to camp during bow hunting season at a camp ground that allows year around camping and said would give me a deal of $35 a month, then $15 any day stay there from 9/15 to Memorial day.  The hotels in my hunting lease area are $75 to $100 a night, and are bed bug specials!  lol  So this alone is causing me to lean toward buying a travel trailer.  What is holding me back from buying is I dont know if I will use for other travel trips or at all in the summer. 
Reason I have a negative bias toward in season camping is my only experience has been state campgrounds in SE Michigan in summer where you are 3 feet from your neighbor,  who happens to loud and drinking until 3 am.  So not my thing!

(Sorry long background now on to questions)

1) Are there other camp grounds that have room/space even if more pricey so the aspect of getting away from the city isnt lost with 100s of people inches from you?  Or do you have to boondock to have some serenity?

2) Are there enough places that you can boondock to plan trips around the country?

3) What would be a good travel trailer for me to look for that meets my needs?

4) Can AC be run with a standard set up boondocking?

Thank you all for your time and insight!

Welcome!
If you get the RV, you will probably find you will use it more than you think once you get it set up.
There are many private campgrounds which are much more roomy than state parks.  Check out those in your area and areas you would like to visit.
If it is just you or you and a friend or spouse, look for a trailer that is not set up to sleep as many people as possible (like the Bunk House models) and instead offers more "living space" and a larger, more comfortable bathroom and bed room.
For a generator, you will need at least a 3500 watt to run the AC along with any other minimal accessories.  I have a 3700 watt Yanmar diesel generator that runs everything I need when boondocking.
I totally agree with you on the travel trailer versus hotel issue.  It would be scary to go into most hotels with a black light and look at the carpeting, pillows and bedding!
Good luck in your search!

Thanks gravediesel!
Good point, it will be me and girlfriend or me and my 2 kids so sleeping 2 to 3 or a 4 max would be needed. 

Also I drive a Dodge RAM 1500 Rebel Hemi so I am thinking wont be a problem pulling a 18 to 25 foot travel trailer but should ask while Im at it.

Thanks also on generator I was hoping 2 batteries would do it but sounds like a c has a lot of pull and will need a generator for non hook up camping.

So it sounds like private owner campgrounds may have more room and different clientel than state campgrounds?

You'll definitely need a genset to run the A/C. Two batteries won't even come close. Also, keep in mind that most TT's are not built very well as far as insulation  for winter use is concerned.

First and foremost, BEFORE you put any money down, take a long look at the many discussions on this site as they pertain to towing. There is more to pulling a TT than just backing a truck up to it and going. You need to know what the total capabilities of your 1500 are. Just because it has a "hemi" doesn't mean a lot. You need to know what it is really capable of towing, NOT what the dealer or some TV ad has told you. You don't want to overload your truck. Do your homework first, using the resources and people on this site.

Sparty, as it relates to campgrounds, the ones in national forests are great.  No hook ups, but a lot more space and privacy.  This Summer, we camped at Lake Michigan at Manistee.  We had our generator, but didn't use it.  We have 2 6V golf cart batteries and solar panels.  We ran fans a few times, but it was cool in the evenings.  We also camped in Canada at the Pinery (just across the Blue Water Bridge and North a few miles along Lake Huron.  You'll find that the Provincial Parks in Canada offer a lot more privacy.  Also, most of the campgrounds there have electrical hookup.

Thanks Georgie and Keith.
Georgie would my manual give me capacities straight?  I know going to absolute max on those numbers would be stupid too unless driving on completely flat and perfect paved road! 
Keith thank you my fellow Michigander so it sounds like I can enjoy nature and have some buffer in a fair amount of campgrounds!  Appreciate the knowledge.

Hi Sparty. I'll echo what the others have said. The Hemi is a good, strong engine, but if you're going to be towing a trailer, there are several other important considerations... like brakes, transmission cooling, axle ratio - a lot of things will determine how much a particular truck can safely tow. Stick with the towing data for your particular truck and you'll be fine. I think you can find your truck's towing capacities on a sticker in your door frame.

It's a big country and there a lot of places to boondock - especially out west. We're camping in Northern Arizona right now and there are all kinds of places to simply pull off the road and boondock for up to two weeks. In other parts of the country, finding a place to legally boondock will be more challenging.

Like others have mentioned, don't plan on running an RV's air conditioner off batteries and/or solar. It's just not practical. If air conditioning is important, you'll need at least a 3000 watt generator to power a typical RV AC unit.

Kev

As Kevin said, check the sticker put on the driver's door frame by the manufacturer. Those numbers are specific for that truck as equipped as it rolled off te assy line. Also be aware that adding aftermarket items such as air bags may not necessarily increase your capacity. I.E., air bags allow you to level out your truck but you are still riding on the same springs, brakes, etc. When looking at a trailer, do not use the dry weight of the trailer for your numbers. You need to use the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) not the dry weight.  As I said before, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site with a wealth of "hand's on" experience. Also try a site such as www.changinggears.com for additional help.

Four people in a 25 foot is gonna be very tight.  How much gear does everybody need for each trip?  How much can you stand climbing over each other to get to the bathroom?  My experience is there is little space for changing clothes in privacy. 

Just my thoughts.  Welcome to the forum.

I'll agree with what the others have said but also you can still look at the state parks some of them the campsites are carved out of the woods while others are right on top of each other.

Thank Kevin, Georgie, Pug and Glen.
P
ug 4 would be 1 weekend a year freak occurance of my teenage children can both get away from friends and my girlfriend is free that weekend too  Most use would be 2 me and girlfriend or 1 of my kids at a time.  Looking at a used Jayco Jayflight 21f this weekend.

Any tips for cold weather use?  See skirting, window wraps but any other tips appreciated?

Thanks again all.  Sounds like there are some more spread out campsites out there!

If you're going to camp in Michigan winter, I would recommend not trying to use the water system in your camper.  It will freeze.  Keeping the camper warm is going to be a challenge.  Most campers are not built for serious winter weather. 

Badlands Bob said:
If you're going to camp in Michigan winter, I would recommend not trying to use the water system in your camper.  It will freeze.  Keeping the camper warm is going to be a challenge.  Most campers are not built for serious winter weather. 
I agree,
You should be ok for deer season but will want to winterize before you leave it.

Sparty,
I do camp into late fall (through Thanksgiving if there is no snow).  As others have said, I have my trailer winterized and don't use the plumbing.  I also take a heater like this one https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F274830-Indoor-Safe-Portable/dp/B01DD6C4TC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1503492272&sr=8-4&keywords=buddy+heater with a 5 gallon propane tank.  I put the tank outside and use a 10ft hose through a window to attach to the heater.  You'll need to crack the window open to allow for moisture to escape.  The heater is safe for indoor use.

Thanks folks.  KeithC and  Glen54737.  I was planning on not using any of the water features after October and removing any regular, grey and black water in all the tanks.  The campsite that has let me keep the camper there 9/15 to 5/26 will have 30amp electric service, and I have propane stores near by so shouldnt I be able to use the campers furnace when there?

Would using spray foam in the walls be feasible?

I have a buddy heater already for my garage so if have to use that I can too.

My Ram Rebel tow capacity says 7500 # but has air suspension and tow features on it.  I could go up to 5000# and shouldnt have an issue correct?

Appreciate all the guidance!  Thanks!

If you have shore power, get a couple of those small forced air electric heaters from Walmart.  They have a thermostat and will keep a camper pretty comfortable with no risk of CO2 poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom