EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Power Gear 3-jack issue  (Read 140 times)

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
Power Gear 3-jack issue
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:31:05 AM »
This is on a 1997 Fleetwood Southwind.

Last trip it worked as it always has, just fine.  But after sitting for only a few weeks the pump motor wants to run continuously.  I had to disconnect power to drive (Jacks were in up position)  Before I buy a whole new controller, i need to figure out if that is what I actually need.  Couple things I am considering, since there are so many squirrels here, thought maybe I have a chewing issue. 

I pulled the fuse in the main electric distribution box, but the motor kept running, there is a 10 amp mini fuse inline near the pump.  Pulled that one and the motor stopped.  However, when starting the engine I hear the pump kick on  for a second or two?  Weird, but then all is OK.  When applying the parking brake, even with all fuses in, the panel will not power up.

I will finally have some time this week to look for issues.  Any thoughts?  Just Lou, you listening? 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
Re: Power Gear 3-jack issue
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:37:22 AM »
One big question I have, is there another module between the control pad and the pump?  I see modules for sale, and I suppose the issue could be there. 

The manual I have is not that helpful.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 03:27:55 PM »
Bill, on our vintage Power Gear levelers, the control panel is the control unit.  There is no other controller.  (that was a change that came along about '99)

I had the same symptoms a few years ago.  I found the ground for the control panel was cut.  On my Bounder, the ground is  a #2 black wire connected directly between the panel and the negative post of the house batteries.  You might get lucky and find the same condition.

Mine was broken (actually cut by a sharp piece of metal from a box to frame support).  If you've had your battery cables loose lately it my have simply been missed in re-installation.

Good luck, lou
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:32:19 PM by Just Lou »
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »
There are 3 modules not counting the jacks
The control module (With buttons and lights)
The sensor module (Mounted ideally in the middle of the motor home. Likely on the basement ceiling.. I FOUND MINE) and the pump/tank/valve module.

That is all I can tell you about it.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 07:48:56 PM »
There are 3 modules not counting the jacks
The control module (With buttons and lights)
The sensor module (Mounted ideally in the middle of the motor home. Likely on the basement ceiling.. I FOUND MINE) and the pump/tank/valve module.

That is all I can tell you about it.
John, here's the link to the Service manual for the Power Gear Jacks.  Please point me to the reference to this elusive mid-coach sensor.  Please tell me what it is sensing?
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

Hosted by Over The Network