Power Gear 3-jack issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

This is on a 1997 Fleetwood Southwind.

Last trip it worked as it always has, just fine.  But after sitting for only a few weeks the pump motor wants to run continuously.  I had to disconnect power to drive (Jacks were in up position)  Before I buy a whole new controller, i need to figure out if that is what I actually need.  Couple things I am considering, since there are so many squirrels here, thought maybe I have a chewing issue. 

I pulled the fuse in the main electric distribution box, but the motor kept running, there is a 10 amp mini fuse inline near the pump.  Pulled that one and the motor stopped.  However, when starting the engine I hear the pump kick on  for a second or two?  Weird, but then all is OK.  When applying the parking brake, even with all fuses in, the panel will not power up.

I will finally have some time this week to look for issues.  Any thoughts?  Just Lou, you listening? 

One big question I have, is there another module between the control pad and the pump?  I see modules for sale, and I suppose the issue could be there. 

The manual I have is not that helpful.

Bill, on our vintage Power Gear levelers, the control panel is the control unit.  There is no other controller.  (that was a change that came along about '99)

I had the same symptoms a few years ago.  I found the ground for the control panel was cut.  On my Bounder, the ground is  a #2 black wire connected directly between the panel and the negative post of the house batteries.  You might get lucky and find the same condition.

Mine was broken (actually cut by a sharp piece of metal from a box to frame support).  If you've had your battery cables loose lately it my have simply been missed in re-installation.

Good luck, lou

There are 3 modules not counting the jacks
The control module (With buttons and lights)
The sensor module (Mounted ideally in the middle of the motor home. Likely on the basement ceiling.. I FOUND MINE) and the pump/tank/valve module.

That is all I can tell you about it.

John From Detroit said:
There are 3 modules not counting the jacks
The control module (With buttons and lights)
The sensor module (Mounted ideally in the middle of the motor home. Likely on the basement ceiling.. I FOUND MINE) and the pump/tank/valve module.

That is all I can tell you about it.
John, here's the link to the Service manual for the Power Gear Jacks.  Please point me to the reference to this elusive mid-coach sensor.  Please tell me what it is sensing?

Back
Top Bottom