Recommendations for books on Motor Home systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can any one suggest book(s) that I can buy and study/learn about the various systems on Motor homes? Electrical, AC/heat, Appliances, etc., etc., etc. I am not very mechanically inclined so would like to learn as much as I can.

I am planning on full timing in a Class A - used gas motor home when I retire.

Also, do rv's (specifically Motor Homes) have as many problems as I see on these types of forums? Or are these forums just a concentrated area where people come with issues to find answers to? I am hoping that the latter is what it is. I know that with RV's there are going to be issues, just as you would have in a S&B.

Thanks for your help!

Look in the library here.

I f that doesn't float your boat try Amazon Books and just type RV into the search field.

I have found over the years that I dont learn by reading.  I think you might be better off finding someone willing to teach you what you need to know.  Nothing beats hands on.  Start by asking a few mobile techs if you could ride with them for a week or so on service calls.

rollindowntheroad said:
Also, do rv's (specifically Motor Homes) have as many problems as I see on these types of forums? Or are these forums just a concentrated area where people come with issues to find answers to? I am hoping that the latter is what it is. I know that with RV's there are going to be issues, just as you would have in a S&B.

Because our motor homes when driven on the road have to sustain the hurricane of just that, there is always something that needs to be fixed. From a loose screw or bolt to a nonworking water heater and everything in between. Most of the time it's just some easy task but sometimes we are puzzled and looking for answers here. So you are correct this forum deals with a lot of issues that we do not have the answer in the first place. When you get more experience the questions seem easy and you start answering them yourself, you be amazed how quickly that goes even for a non-technical person.!

When I started out as a newbie I collected everything I wanted to know from a variety of sources and posted them to my website for my own use. No books needed, almost everything is on the internet, you just have to find it.

See my own knowledge base here: https://dutcheagle.com/rv  (This is NOT a commercial website!) start reading, watch video's and you might not need any books!

Bob Livingston's RV Repair and Maintenance Manual is useful to have around.

Agree that Bob Livingston's book is good as a starter.  Also Motorhome magazine has many useful articles that we cut out when we started motorhoming many years ago.

ArdraF

Soon after joining this forum and before buying an RV, I bought Bob Livingston's book and another one called "The RV Handbook" published by Trailer Life.  Honestly I don't think I ever read much of either one.  Almost everything I ever needed to know along the way came from information/members on this forum!

donn said:
I have found over the years that I dont learn by reading.  I think you might be better off finding someone willing to teach you what you need to know.  Nothing beats hands on.  Start by asking a few mobile techs if you could ride with them for a week or so on service calls.

Different people learn in different ways. When I bought my Beaver I was new to DPs, and the Beaver had many, many onboard systems new to me, so I spent a month reading through the (very extensive) coach manual, then trying things out on the various systems on the coach, before I really became comfortable with the systems.

On the other hand, there are a few things where hands-on is easier.

The Two Books I recommend are more or less identical in content

The RV owner's handbook
The RV BOOK

One is a Woodalls/Good Sam's publication sold at Camping world and other places

The other is not and thus not sold at camping world.

These are "Generic" owner's manuals covering everything from Small TTs to full size Class A's so a lot of the book you will ignore.. But some of the more useful chapters actually were superior to the factory manuals for my Class A's sub systems (Like the water heater and furnace) 

These books,,, LIke the files in the forum library here.  are written by RVers for RVers so the folks writing them actually KNOW what they are doing.

The 12 Volt Bible for Boats Paperback ? October 31, 2003 
https://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Bible-Boats/dp/0713667036/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook Hardcover ? August 26, 2011
https://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Illustrated-Electrical-Handbook-Charlie/dp/0071446443/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0071446443&pd_rd_r=AMXSJW4M596P1TJHJ1ST&pd_rd_w=yRWTt&pd_rd_wg=Hpaxv&psc=1&refRID=AMXSJW4M596P1TJHJ1ST

Yeah I know - Those books are for boats... But so is your RV but with wheels.  Both have a 12v and 120/240 volt system, and most RV's have way to much extra wire for the 12 volt system (if they are like mine from the factory).  If you are doing any wiring these will probably help do it right with minimal loss in voltage/current.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom