High Pitch Noise from Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

I recently noticed that there is a high pitched noise coming from my water heater.  I have an Atwood 6 Gal. water heater.  The noise disappears when the water heater is turned off and reappears when the water heater is on  (both electric or propane).  The water heater functions normally.  The water gets hot on both electric and propane.  There are no leaks.  I've had the circuit board swapped out, but still the noise persists.  Does anyone know what could be creating the noise? 

I have the same issue (same heater). A part near the internal vent starts vibrating when the heater comes on. Dealer couldn't fix it without taking it apart and since it is only noticeable when standing close to it outside the trailer I decided to put it in the annoyance folder. If you feel around just after firing up the heater (before it gets hot) you may be able to bend it into silence.

Sounds like you may have a check valve on the inlet or outlet malfunctioning. Sometimes you can tap them to free them up. Usually you have to replace them or at least remove the guts and reinstall.

Jerry, if it was the check valve, why would the noise occur as soon as the water heater was turned on and disappear as soon as the water heater was turned off?  Wouldn't the noise persist until the water cooled down if it was the check valve?  Thanks

Wouldn't the noise persist until the water cooled down if it was the check valve?

One would think so.

I've heard of a heater that sang whenever the heating element was active. The water immediately around the element boils and bubbles, and in rare cases that tiny noise can reverberate. The fix (I'm told) is to change the tank or piping a tiny bit to stop alter the vibration so that it is outside the audible range. Maybe just a shim somewhere, or flex a water line to a slightly different position?

I would also flush the heater tank and re-establish the air head, just to make sure everything was in peak operating condition.

Thanks Gary.  I've flushed the tank at least 2X this year and no change. I am not familiar with re-establishing the air head.  What do you mean by that?  Thanks.

Yes, that is strange, when it was my check valve, that was when I turned on any faucet and water flowed that I would hear the noise. To reestablish the head, drain the heater, close the drain back up and refill by opening a faucet.

Or shut the freshwater feed to the RV, or turn off the pump, open the pressure relief valve and then close it when water quits coming out.

The "air head" is a cushion of air inside the heater, above the water. The water level in the tank should be roughly at the height of the PTR valve; the rest should be air.

Procedure for re-establishing the air head is as others dscribed, or see RVForum Library article at http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105:hot-water-pressure-relief-valve-leaks&catid=42&Itemid=132

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom