Magnetek 6300A Model 6345

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmatth7807

Hello everyone I have a Magnetek 6300A Model 6345  When the battery reaches 13.8 volts should the charger complete shut off?
Thanks Dale

Quick answer, absolutely not.  That's one reason why the newer technology is preferred.  The old Magneteks, and that generation of converters, held the charge voltage too high after charge that it would damage the batteries over time.

Thanks Lou what voltage should it hold at to not damage the battery? I can adjust it.

A recommendation is to "Gut" the thing and replace the "Guts" with a Progressive Dynanics 4600 series.  This is just the electronics, you still use the same fuses and breakers.

That unit is a poorly regulated battery charger and power supply (Two devices in one box) providing rectified AC to some loads and battery power to others. It is slow to charge a battery back up and has no idea of when to quite

The 4600 on the other hand is a top of the line 3-stage PLUS charger/converter. I have been searching for something better and so far.. Without success.  Found some as good,, NONE better.

12v batteries "Float" charge at 13.3-13.6v. Most modern chargers do 13.6v. But that's only part of the technology difference. Learn about multi-stage battery charging and and the difference between constant current and constant voltage charging at sites like these:
https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/3-stages-of-smart-chargers.html
http://www.chargingchargers.com/tutorials/charging.html

Or just take our word for it - your batteries will last longer and perform better if you upgrade.

Does anyone know about this one It look like it would be easier to install to me http://www.bestconverter.com/45-Amp-Converter-Replacement-Kit_p_46.html#.WZzWwtFGntQ I am not the brights duck in the pond when it comes to electricity  ;D

There is NO difference in wiring between the two. I have installed the 4600 series in one of my coachs. Takes all of 30 minutes. Just make sure you have it unplugged and batteries disconnected.

Thanks John should I stay with the same amps my is a 45 amp and what is your experience with the remote pendant do I need that
Thanks Dale As you can tell I am new to this rving

mmatth7807 said:
Thanks John should I stay with the same amps my is a 45 amp and what is your experience with the remote pendant do I need that
Thanks Dale As you can tell I am new to this rving
Depends on what you have or plan to have for batteries. I upgraded my coach to 2 6 volt golf car batteries and upgraded the converter to the 55 amp. If you upgrade the fuse panel to you don't need the pendant as one is built into the panel and you can see what mode it is in by opening the main door on the panel. The one at best converters don't show this, but this one does.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARALLAX-7345-REPLACEMENT-CONVERTER-CHARGER-SECTION-PD4645/152588291383?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41451%26meid%3Db445d6a4042f482c8dd8133076f22e0e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D162496042356&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

You might just ask Randy if his has this type of board before you order.

John I don't need to get the fuse panel I think my is fine. As far as battery I am using 1 12 volt Rv battery.  Should I just call and talk to Randy at best converters
Thanks Dale

With a single battery, or even two, a converter in the 40-60 amp range is plenty. A typical new model is 55A and that's fine. The max amperage is not really important because the unit rarely ever reaches its max anyway. Neither charging nor supplying house 12v power.

The old 6345 could never charge at a high amp rate anyway - the charging current was nowhere near its 45A total max. Any new one you get will be much better.

Thanks to all you guys for the help ordered me a new  PD4645V 45 Amp Converter Upgrade, Optional Remote Pendant Hope I am smart enough to hook it up Thanks again Dale

OK, as I recall the 4600 has the Wizard built in.. DO you need the remote pendent?

Well. I have a 9180 with the plug in wizard/pendant. And I have used it from time to time, but basically I would say no. plus you can always ADD IT LATER if you desire the functions it offers.

How I used mine.. While I was in the shop having major work done on the RV. I had limited electric, so instead of powering the FULL RV I powered only the 9180 (Converter) and used the INVERTER (Separate device) to power the electronics, kitchen and such.

When I did cooking the batteries would run down enough to cause a reset so I went out and MANUALLY engaged BOOST mode.  That worked.

But odds are you won't need that.

Thanks John I already ordered it and they have already shipped it. Guess I will keep it not the first $15.00 I ever spent and should not have Thanks again to everyone

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skidsteerpilot
Back
Top Bottom