EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Replacing Atwood GC6AA-9E with GC6AA-10E wiring help  (Read 234 times)

rollonjack

• ---
Replacing Atwood GC6AA-9E with GC6AA-10E wiring help
« on: August 22, 2017, 12:08:52 PM »
Here I am again with my water heater replacement questions. I purchased a new Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater to replace a GC6AA-9E water heater. I found the wiring and functionality of the 10E to be vastly different from the 9E.

The 9E has 3 wires (orange, yellow and blue) going from the control module, to a single switch located in front of the kitchen sink. It also has 110v wiring going through a switch on the wall behind the stove to the AC electric  component on the back of the water tank.

The 10E has 4 wires going from the control module out the top of the water heater (blue, organge, white and green); I assume these go to a switch but not sure what type of switch. There is also a yellow wire going from the control module out the bottom of the water heater to the AC electric component on the back of the water tank. There are 3 wires (white, black and green) coming out of the AC electric component on the back of the water tank.

I have read that the 10E requires a new double switch (electric and gas) but I have no idea how to connect all the wiring on the 10E to the 12v and 110v trailer wiring. Does this mean the 110v switch behing the stove is not used with the 10E?

Also, if I need to install the new double switch, do I install it in front of the sink where the current single switch is located. If so I will need to enlarge to cutout space for it.

Any advice and instructions are truly appreciated. Thank you.

rollonjack

• ---
Re: Replacing Atwood GC6AA-9E with GC6AA-10E wiring help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
I have got the installation of the water heater taken care of. So I no longer need any advice. Thanks and take care.

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:36:02 AM »
I have got the installation of the water heater taken care of. So I no longer need any advice. Thanks and take care.

So, what were the answers to your questions? They may help someone else contemplating this same question....
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »
The -10E model uses a single, combo switch for gas and electric operation whereas as previous models (up to the -9E) used two separate switches. The 10E and later circuit boards use DC powered switches to turn on both gas and electric modes of operation.

I can email the conversion pdf file from Atwood if anybody needs it, but it's too big to post here,
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

ksbowman

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »
The switch and wiring diagram come with the 10E, right in the bow with the new heater. I just replaced mine this summer, the very same water heater. Works perfectly.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:06:17 PM by ksbowman »

rollonjack

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »
I contacted Atwood and they told me that if I installed the water heater myself the warranty would not be valid; I would need to have certified service center install it to validate the warranty. So I had a service center install it. I concern with Atwood that I have is I asked them if the service center can install the water heater with the single switch I have in front of the sink and they replied that yes they can. The service center told me that is not true; that the double switch needs to be installed. The wall switch for the previous electric heater must be in the on position to us the electric switch on the new double switch.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »
Just remove the old switch and connect the hot wires together, which effectively makes the 120v power to the heater always available at the circuit board relay. Once you do that, the heater works under control of the circuit board and the 12v dual switch controls both LP and 120vac modes.

I suppose you could wire the 12v dual switch so that the 120v mode of the switch was always on (basically bypassing the switch for 120VAC mode) and use the old 120v switch as the actual on/off for 120v mode, but there is no advantage to that. You still need, and have, an LP gas switch and a 120vac switch in either case, so why not wire as designed?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network