Replacing Atwood GC6AA-9E with GC6AA-10E wiring help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollonjack

Here I am again with my water heater replacement questions. I purchased a new Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater to replace a GC6AA-9E water heater. I found the wiring and functionality of the 10E to be vastly different from the 9E.

The 9E has 3 wires (orange, yellow and blue) going from the control module, to a single switch located in front of the kitchen sink. It also has 110v wiring going through a switch on the wall behind the stove to the AC electric  component on the back of the water tank.

The 10E has 4 wires going from the control module out the top of the water heater (blue, organge, white and green); I assume these go to a switch but not sure what type of switch. There is also a yellow wire going from the control module out the bottom of the water heater to the AC electric component on the back of the water tank. There are 3 wires (white, black and green) coming out of the AC electric component on the back of the water tank.

I have read that the 10E requires a new double switch (electric and gas) but I have no idea how to connect all the wiring on the 10E to the 12v and 110v trailer wiring. Does this mean the 110v switch behing the stove is not used with the 10E?

Also, if I need to install the new double switch, do I install it in front of the sink where the current single switch is located. If so I will need to enlarge to cutout space for it.

Any advice and instructions are truly appreciated. Thank you.

I have got the installation of the water heater taken care of. So I no longer need any advice. Thanks and take care.

rollonjack said:
I have got the installation of the water heater taken care of. So I no longer need any advice. Thanks and take care.

So, what were the answers to your questions? They may help someone else contemplating this same question....

The -10E model uses a single, combo switch for gas and electric operation whereas as previous models (up to the -9E) used two separate switches. The 10E and later circuit boards use DC powered switches to turn on both gas and electric modes of operation.

I can email the conversion pdf file from Atwood if anybody needs it, but it's too big to post here,

The switch and wiring diagram come with the 10E, right in the bow with the new heater. I just replaced mine this summer, the very same water heater. Works perfectly.

I contacted Atwood and they told me that if I installed the water heater myself the warranty would not be valid; I would need to have certified service center install it to validate the warranty. So I had a service center install it. I concern with Atwood that I have is I asked them if the service center can install the water heater with the single switch I have in front of the sink and they replied that yes they can. The service center told me that is not true; that the double switch needs to be installed. The wall switch for the previous electric heater must be in the on position to us the electric switch on the new double switch.

Just remove the old switch and connect the hot wires together, which effectively makes the 120v power to the heater always available at the circuit board relay. Once you do that, the heater works under control of the circuit board and the 12v dual switch controls both LP and 120vac modes.

I suppose you could wire the 12v dual switch so that the 120v mode of the switch was always on (basically bypassing the switch for 120VAC mode) and use the old 120v switch as the actual on/off for 120v mode, but there is no advantage to that. You still need, and have, an LP gas switch and a 120vac switch in either case, so why not wire as designed?

Hi I have a GC6AA-10e and im starting install from scratch. the power, ground everything..I have a hard time following the wire diograms. Can anyone brack this down and explane it to me please. Like what color wire goes where on what part of the switch.

First time on the site. Hope you all can answer a question about the 6 gal Water Heater GC6AA-10E.  There is a yellow wire running between the tank and the insulation box.  I was concerned why it would be there. All the other wires are along the outside of the box. Is this normal?  Is it a thermostat wire? 

Not sure what you mean by "insulation box".  According to Atwood wiring diagrams, the yellow wire goes from the control board to the relay that opens/closes to provide 120v power to the heater element. I believe that relay is in a junction box that has the 120v hot wire (black) coming in and then out to the actual heater element. It's probably located close to the element (back side of heater).

All you said is correct. The tank has a Styrofoam insulating box around it. The yellow wire is between the tank and the Styrofoam box. Its the only wire like that and it is to short to run on the outside. Says it is a fixed temp cont t-stat.  Thought it was odd. Just checking. 

I am trying to wire up a 6 gallon atwood water heater electric/propane/dsi model.  I have the two switches in the coach one on the monitor panel and the 2 panel switch in the bath.  How to wire them to the water heater so they work?  I have a 2000 allure 30469 40 LPSG LA PINE ALLURE.  Coach was used when I bought it so I dont know if it is spouse to have both switches? Or how to be wired?  Can I use the water heater with both switches wired up?  Please help?  Has a 20amp circuit breaker in the bedroom

The -10E model uses a single, combo switch for gas and electric operation whereas as previous models (up to the -9E) used two separate switches. The 10E and later circuit boards use DC powered switches to turn on both gas and electric modes of operation.

I can email the conversion pdf file from Atwood if anybody needs it, but it's too big to post here,
I am trying to find my switch
I bought this dutchman used and they had done some thing to wiring, cant ask because they have passed away
I cant find any switch for water heater its attwood gc6aa9e, tech said cant hp unless I find switch cant find any switch
there is wires coming out from wall above a ug in kitchen that are green and white, brown and black with ends on them
can anyone one help please
70 and just trying to survive

I am trying to find my switch
I bought this dutchman used and they had done some thing to wiring, cant ask because they have passed away
I cant find any switch for water heater its attwood gc6aa9e, tech said cant hp unless I find switch cant find any switch
Your water heater has two switches, one for 120v electric and another for LP gas mode. They may be side by side, or they may be in widely separate locations, whatever Dutchmen decided when they built your RV. I had a coach where the gas mode switch was next to the kitchen sink but the electric mode switch was in the cabinet under the bathroom sink.

Could be those wires you see connected to switches at one time, but that's sheer guesswork. Could also be the switches are elsewhere and you haven't found them yet. The only sure way would be to trace the wires from the heater and try to figure out where they go in the RV. An RV tech could do that for you, but its time consuming and could get expensive when paying by the hour.

By the way, please give the Dutchmen year & model - details often help. And maybe a photo of those dangling wires?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom