EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: AC  (Read 235 times)

Leexlt

AC
« on: August 22, 2017, 02:45:42 PM »
I have a 2007 32' South wind (workhorse)  and the back AC unit went out. The repair people say it is a sealed unit and cant be worked on but I can get it replaced for $1,000.00. Is this true and if so, are their discount AC units? Does it have to be factory or are there after market suppliers that will work (cheaper)? thanks

Lee

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
Re: AC
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 03:13:05 PM »
Amazon has AC units for $420 and up. I don't think $580 is a reasonable price for installation. Even if you buy one that costs $750, that leaves $250 for labor, which in my opinion, is a lot. The wiring is already in place, and there are four bolts that hold the unit in place.
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
Yep you can buy one for under $500 and install it yourself.

https://youtu.be/69hwGiIqGoU
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

rockin rockwood

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 05:36:43 PM »
And also, I'm pretty sure they're not serviceable. At least that's what I was told when I was in a similar situation. Mine was still under an extended warranty.
Dan
2006 FourWinds Windsport
2007 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic

sunfighter

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 07:14:04 PM »
even the wife can install one.   ;D ooops... sorry honey.  :P
"Leaning in a heavy wind that no one else can feel"

2007 Gulf stream Independence triple slide. and 2005 Gulf Stream Independence triple slide

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 07:51:05 PM »
It is correct that they are not repairable IF the problem is the compressor or related plumbing. However, circuit boards are replaceable, as are fans and start capacitors. Some (many?) RV shops don't want to "waste time" on diagnosis and just replace any a/c that is giving trouble.

If you can DIY, you can save a bundle, but replacement at an RV shop will probably run $800-$1100. Overpriced, but that's the way of the RV world.

The original roof unit is probably from Dometic or Coleman-Mach, but there are a few other brands as well, e.g. Atwood. However, you may have some fiddling to match up thermostat controls if your rig has a wall-mount thermostat. Usually easier to stick with what you have unless the price difference is substantial.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Leexlt

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »
Thanks, I'll try on line.

Lee

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 05:13:33 PM »
  I paid to have mine replaced (1,000 even) and happy to let them do it.. I have the skills but well it's 90 pounds up a ladder and I had (yes HAD YIPPIE) a very bad back problem (Man was it easy to fix, the back that is .. The A/C was harder)

I choose a Coleman this time. and glad I did.. Now you ask why?

COlemans suck (that is the fan draws air in via the condenser coils) others Blow (Air out through the condenser)  This means when I need to clear off the cottonwood cotton

4 bolts, lift off cover, clean thing, replace cover 4 bolts, done.

YOu don't even want to think about the job on my other A/C.. Except it's not got a Coleman fan so other than 10 Screws instead of 4 bolts,, Same Same.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

whiteva

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 07:53:08 PM »
All air conditioners are repairable. However,,, most old ones are Freon 22 which can be found at a great expense but then you have more invested in repair for what another year.... If it is leaking freon or bad compressor, then junk it. Other items are readily available for replacement.

If you purchase a top unit that will work with your ceiling package then the new one comes with new gaskets, 4 new bolts and plug compatible. Two person job for less than an hour. (or hour and a half with beer break.)
2008 Winnie 29TR, Class C
Me: RETIRED: Aerobatic flight instructor, RE Broker, EE,-
DW, Nan, works Finance for RV dealer. Travel short distances pulling 77' MGB on dolly.
 If not in the RV we are on the Sea Ray, with Shadeaux the black cat. Stop by for coffee or beverage

Hosted by Over The Network