EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Big Switch underneath Drivers Seat  (Read 377 times)

B737doc

• ---
  • 1992 Challenger
Big Switch underneath Drivers Seat
« on: August 22, 2017, 03:26:59 PM »
1992 "Challenger" by Damon, 32 foot motorhome....Previous owner tried to explain to me the purpose of this brand new "ON-OFF" switch mounted to the floor underneath the drivers seat. He was never able to give me an explanation, but says he just leaves it in the "OFF" position.  Something about it will drain the batteries if left in the incorrect position in a particular configuration....Can anyone explain the purpose of this important looking switch???? Thanks in advance, Doc.
1976 BMW R90/6 "Airhead"
2005 Triumph Bonneville "America"
1992 Challenger Motorcoach

lynnmor

• ---
Re: Big Switch underneath Drivers Seat
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 03:41:08 PM »
Ejection seat handle?  :o

The switch may have been installed to completely disconnect batteries so that they don't drain in storage.  Turn it off and see what no longer works.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 03:51:48 PM »
It turns the house batteries off and on.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »
Sounds like the switch I installed under the driver's seat of our prior Pace Arrow. If left connected, the chassis battery would drain in storage. Initially, I used to remove a lead from the battery while in storage, but subsequently installed the switch. The house batteries didn't drain, so I didn't bother to install a separate switch for them.

With a little help, you could figure out which battery(ies) your switch controls. But lynnmor's method will work just fine.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

B737doc

• ---
  • 1992 Challenger
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »
   No "house batteries" are installed in this motorhome..   There's two batteries, both located underneath the hood. One shows 13.2 VDC, the other only 11.6 VDC and dropping regardless of the engine running or not. This is with the "big switch underneath the seat" in the OFF position. Started the Generator set, and still no positive voltage at one of the batteries.  :-\
1976 BMW R90/6 "Airhead"

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »
That should be the house battery disconnect switch, at least that's where my 95 Challenger was. For the house battery to operate anything in the coach that switch needs to be turned on. It probably won't charge with the switch off either. Just because both batteries are under the hood, one of them should be the house battery. My house battery was under the step on my 95.

Do you have lights in your coach with it unplugged? With it plugged in?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:33:08 PM by Charlie 5320 »
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 05:42:40 PM »
No "house batteries" are installed in this motorhome..   There's two batteries, both located underneath the hood.
One of those two batteries is for the "house" and one cranks the engine. There is probably a switch or relay that can be used to cross connect them, and that's likely what you found under the seat.

One of those batteries should be charged from the house system converter/charger, which operates from 120v shore or genset power.  In nearly all coaches, the genset alone does not charge battery(s). It merely supplies 120vac power to the onboard charging system.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

B737doc

• ---
  • 1992 Challenger
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
Once again, you guys provide AWESOME information!  All of what you guys said is valued news to me!  Look forward to tinkering with my new vehicle everyday, and you guys are a HUGE help!  Thanks again!
1976 BMW R90/6 "Airhead"

B737doc

• ---
  • 1992 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »
That should be the house battery disconnect switch, at least that's where my 95 Challenger was. For the house battery to operate anything in the coach that switch needs to be turned on. It probably won't charge with the switch off either. Just because both batteries are under the hood, one of them should be the house battery. My house battery was under the step on my 95.

Do you have lights in your coach with it unplugged? With it plugged in?

I'm pretty sure I left the littl aisle lights on with the RV un-plugged, which is probably why my house battery was dead....
1976 BMW R90/6 "Airhead"

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 07:42:28 PM »
    I'm pretty sure I left the littl aisle lights on with the RV un-plugged, which is probably why my house battery was dead....
Turn that switch on and plug it in and see if it don't charge that dead battery. You need to keep an eye on the water in the batteries, especially if you leave it plugged in very long. On my Challenger the converter wasn't very good and would boil the water out if I left it plugged in. During winter storage I only plugged it in a couple days a month.
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

B737doc

• ---
  • 1992 Challenger
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 01:19:15 PM »
  With the engine running and the switch underneath drivers seat selected to the "on" position, both batteries reading positive voltage (13.2 VDC).  I did not check to see if the batteries are charging with the engine off and the vehicle plugged in....will try that tomorrow. Charger thingy looks new.  Everything working great now except the little generator set.  I'll start on it first chance I get....Thanks for all the expert advice and guidance, you guys are the best!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:21:03 PM by B737doc »
1976 BMW R90/6 "Airhead"

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 01:36:58 PM »
Unless your system includes a Battery Minder or Echo Charge you will  not charge the truck battery while plugged into shore power as Gary explained.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »
One of those two batteries is for the "house" and one cranks the engine. There is probably a switch or relay that can be used to cross connect them, and that's likely what you found under the seat.
The one under the seat is for turning the house battery off and on. The relay to cross connect the two batteries is on the dash just like on my 94 Challenger.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Hosted by Over The Network