How far is far on slide outs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

:-[ Im new to a camper with slide outs. My 2005 Holiday Rambler Alumascape has 3.
How do you tell when the slides are fully extended or retracted ?
If I rely on the sound of the electric motor, I will burn in up in no time.
I can't see any contacts that would turn on an led light when it is fullh extended or retracted.
After you open up the slide, is there any sort of lock mechanism you have to install in the track to keep it open safely?

All of my slideouts have a flange on the inside and outside on the top and both ends. When the flange touches the wall and the motor just starts to strain, I stop. There is nothing to keep the slide out.

You won't burn up the motor, honestly!  Well, maybe if the switch gets stuck and it stays on for a lengthy period, though some of them have current limiting controls built in.  Just run it out or in until it stops moving and then lift your finger.

Mickey G said:
How do you tell when the slides are fully extended or retracted ?

Watch them... or have someone else watch the movement and give you a signal when the slide stops moving.  My slides make an obvious noise when they reach their limit, like a quickly skipping gear.  I can stop them almost immediately once I hear that, but I know when it is coming by watching the slide from the interior or exterior (depending on which one).

Back
Top Bottom