Improving performance on triton v10 and tramsmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slits

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum.I just bought a 2011 Acess 31c Winabago.After driving it home for 2000 miles,i'm loving the coach but the drivetrain has abit to be desired.Has anyone done any mods on it or used a particular programmer?It would sure be helpful if I didn't have to start from scratch.  Thanks  Slits

A five star tune would be a good start in my opinion, but I do not have any experience with it. I have read good reports about it. Most liked the way it affected the transmission shift points.

http://5startuning.com/product/7015fs/

I doubt if you will notice much difference if you install a tuner, but performance aficionados usually like even a small boost. The problem is the weight-to-horsepower ratio is way high compared to any car or light truck. Your 31c is probably close to its 14,500 lb GVWR and there is only 305 hp to push all that, about a 45:1 ratio. And that assumes you rev it up enough to get the full 305. Even pick-ups carry far less weight, and cars are typically less than 1/3 of that. The bottom line is that it is not going to accelerate like a car no matter what you do.

You might actually get more benefit from an upgraded transmission (6 speed instead of 5).

Hey Gary,I agree with you but that's a lot pricier option.I think I would have the power if the shift points were better on the tyranny.What about improving on the exhaust?Thanks for your time.

My last coach was a 2000 Bounder 36J on a v10 chassis. I pulled a toad with it (2007 Ford Edge).
Had it out west and yes it was slow going up some hills, but that V10 had awesome grunt around 3000rpm.

My mods were simple...
- K&N or similar air filter.
- Less restrictive exhaust from the cat back.
- Synthetic fluids in the motor and transmission.
- 5 Star tune only for shifting improvements. (It would "hunt" when going up slight inclines) The "tune" held the gear longer before shifting...

To say the least I was very impressed with the v10's performance considering the task it had to accomplish.

Since I have gone to a Bounder 39z DP, a whole different animal...like driving a couch...lol

Bart

A Banks intake system and some exhaust mods would be about it as far as cost effective improvements,  but it's never gonna be a hot rod.

If you are in a race you bought the wrong vehicle  :)

I don't feel performance mods are ever worth the money on an RV. They are just too big and heavy plus adding even ten percent will not really be noticed. And I don't like the idea of stressing the existing drive train. It was not designed for more power. If the performance could be improved by a few hundred dollars worth of extras they would have done it at the factory.

I agree with the Tom, that the gains vs costs of performance boosts rarely pay off. Our old 2001 V10 powered 34' Landau has taken us up every hill and mountain we've encountered with a 3500 lb toad behind it. No, we don't drag race anyone to the top, but we do a pretty good job of hanging in with the trucks, often passing as many as pass us. We found the best performance at the lowest cost came from accepting our coach's limitations, since driving only accounts for about 5% of out RV usage anyway. We do spend as needed to stay on top of maintenance and preventive care of the engine and driveline though. That does have a worthwhile payback...

See the various Banks packages for enhancements for the intake, exhaust, injection timing, etc, but none of them are really cost-effective. By 2011, Ford had the V10 pretty well dialed in and the aftermarket packages provide modest gains only in some specific rpm ranges and conditions, and typically NOT where motorhomes get operated. This isn't like the old days when you could get gains across the board. Further, modern auto trannies already have varied shift point control based on power demand and the specific vehicle parameters. The tranny and engine computers cooperate to manage shift points and keep the engine in its best performance range for the load/demand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom