EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 30 amp extension cord length  (Read 506 times)

ant21b

• ---
30 amp extension cord length
« on: August 23, 2017, 05:24:56 AM »
How long does the 30 amp extension cord need to be to connect to rv park power? 25 feet, 50 feet. What is the standard length most people carry?

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
Re: 30 amp extension cord length
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 05:33:12 AM »
In the vast majority of parks 25-30 feet will be fine.

I do go to some state parks that have erratic lots and they allow you to park any which way you care to (dirt, grass, sand etc.) so I do carry an extra 25 foot extension cord so I can do just that in case I need a longer hook up.

On the other hand, I have parked then realized I needed 3 more feet of line, so I simply moved the rig again to make it work. Also, I don't have automatic levelers, so I tend to try to find a naturally level spot first and this may or may not put me close to the box.

http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:35:36 AM »
Usually the standard that comes with the rv is 25.
How much you will need is hard to say but generally 50 will get you to 99% of rv spots.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 F-350 CC short box 6.7l 3.55 axle
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

ant21b

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »
I believe a 50 foot extension uses heavier gauge wire so you cannot put 2 25 foot 30 amp extensions together they cannot carry 30 amps if connected together safely. Is this correct?

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 07:47:22 AM »
That's sort of correct.  Amp capacity does vary with length and a total of 50 ft should really have thicker gauge wire. However, most Rvs are stuck with their base shore power cord, which is usually 10 gauge wire if its a 30A RV. If you add an extension, the standard 30A extension is also 10 gauge. Using a larger gauge extension, e.g. 8 gauge, doesn't help much because the base cord is still 10 gauge. And chances are the outlet box is also wired with 10 gauge.  I doubt if you will find a 30A extension that has larger than 10 gauge wire in the stores.

Some RVs have removable (pluggable) power cords, so you could substitute a longer cord for the OEM one. And maybe find or make one with larger gauge wire for longer distances.

When you ask about "extension cord", or you talking about an add-on for extra length, or the cord that comes with the RV from the factory? Or both?   Typically the RV comes with a power cord that is 20-25 ft long. Extensions are available in various lengths, but an additional 25 ft is the most common.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:51:50 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 10:24:42 AM »
Occasionally, sites will be arraigned in a way that makes no sense at all. Last weekend we were on a site with the sewer connection on the opposite end from the water and electric.

So it was a single length of sewer hose, and 50 feet for fresh water and power.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »
Often local building codes require a substantial separation between fresh water and sewer lines. 25-30 feet in some places I've been (and campgrounds I have worked in). Not just between the outlets either - often the separation applies to any portion of the pipe, underground as well as above.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 01:25:46 PM »
As said the standard of 25 - 30 feet is in most cases sufficient and has been our experience except in one case.  One CG we made a reservation in I found no power at the pedestal of our assigned spot. When I mentioned it to the manager, we were given two options either move to the adjacent spot or plug into the adjacent spot as the space was not already reserved.  We chose to stay in the spot assigned as we had a 50' extension which we used at our house to plug in, so I always carried it.  This allowed us to reach the working pedestal.  All this to say with a 25-30' cord you should be good to go but it might not be a bad idea to carry a 25' or so extension just for the unexpected.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

blw2

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 02:30:27 PM »
I carried around a heavy gauge 20A cord for many years that the previous owner of my old popup threw in.
Never used it that I recall in all the years with the popup, and never in approx 2 years with the MH.  My dad give me a 30A cord...maybe 15-20ft I'd guess...that he'd picked up at some garage sale or someplace just a year or so ago.  I replaced the 20A cord with it in my storage bin.  Used it for the 1st time ever just last weekend...at my storage lot.  My service drop cable was about 6ft short to reach an outlet.

My point is.... in my limited experience you don't need it.  I think my service drop cable is 15ft....maybe it's 20, I can't remember..... but I have rarely ever used it's full length
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 04:33:44 PM »
I carry two 25 foot cords in addition to the OEM cord, for a total of 75 feet. The last time I used them all is when power went out at 1:00 am, and I plugged into a pedestal two sites away.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 05:17:32 PM »
I (also) carry 2, 30 footers, 1 works most of the time. But I'm finding that some newer, or remodeled parks have the E/W/S connections located at, or near the center of the spaces/spots. Our 5w connections are at the center... for those, I use a 10 foot, 30amp RV extension cord I found on Amazon. With the Surge guard on one end, and the 90* adapter on the other... a lot less Hassel.. than dealing with the 30 footer, for the Shorter length needs.(?)

I've done the same with the 50amp cord needs with a 15 extension cord. REAL nice there, Hassel wise.

(Also reduced the Water Hose Hassel by cutting a 50' hose to 25, 15 and 10 foot lengths ?)

Life Is Good(er).  :) ;)

Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »
I have a 25 or so foot 50 amp cord (hard wired to the coach on one end), plus I carry a 25 ft 30 amp cord, plus a 25 ft heavy gauge 20 amp cord, plus adapters (mainly for power tools, such as my electric impact wrench in case I need to change a tire).  So far if I have a 50 amp site, the 50 amp cord has been long enough, though I have seen some creative 30 amp situations, such as 2 or more RV's sharing a single power post, or power posts at public electric only campgrounds being mounted behind a back in space.

If I am in a 30 amp site I generally use the 25 ft 30 amp cord, and connect it to the 50 amp cord, as the 30 amp is a lot lighter weight and less hassle.  (I am aware of the potential voltage drop)
2002 Safari Trek 2830

blw2

• ---
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »
having helped to put out a fire when I was a teenager, I would be extremely reluctant to use one of those extension cord reels.  This was one of those retractable reel extension cords powering a drop light....  I have no memory of what size bulb, or if anything else was plugged in at the time.... but I could certainly believe it was near capacity or perhaps even overloaded....but still ..... don't think I would chance it....
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 10:41:16 AM »
I carry a 25', 30 amp extension cord with me. I've only HAD to use it maybe twice. I CHOOSE to use it, though, sometimes when the ground is sandy/dirty/wet since it's easier to roll up and just toss in the truck when we're packing up.

OTOH, I HAVE to use it when parked at home since my 30 amp plug on the garage wall is (1) near the front and (2) on the awning side of the camper. I really need to move that thing.  ::)
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
The power cord in my last coach was 30 ft, but I still carried a 10 ft and a 25 ft extension. Didn't need either often, but when you need it, there is no substitute. Except maybe running a genset instead, where that is allowed.   A case of "Better to have and not need, then to need and not have."

Sometimes we just wanted to park a little further away from the pedestal than usual, or maybe "front-in" to a site designed as a back-in. Also frequently needed extensions when parking in the yard or driveway at a friend or relative's house or when using our "twin 30" Y-adapter.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Hosted by Over The Network