A question about drop hitches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John97031

I'm getting ready to tow a 10ft motorcycle enclosed trailer behind my Jayco Greyhawk 26DS  class C for the first time. I did the drop calculations and it calls for a 5 inch drop. With the overhang from the rear axle this seems likely to hit. Especially going in and out of gas stations or anything resembling a driveway.

Anybody have experience towing behind a class C? And what was your experience and suggestions?

I tow a VW Bug behind my Class C, without a drop hitch, and it will occasionally drag when entering and exiting a steep driveway.  With a drop hitch I would expect it to occur more often.  I usually just take it slow and easy and try and enter/exit at an angle to lessen the degree of slope I am trying to overcome.  You might try a skid wheel to help with the situation.

https://www.etrailer.com/Skid-Wheels/Ultra-Fab-Products/UF48-979020.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsZ_euNLt1QIVRWx-Ch1psA1VEAQYBiABEgIJ9PD_BwE

I tow with a 4" drop.. now.. Question: Do you already own the trailer?

YOu can get trailers with tongs that have a "Offset" so they hook up HIGHER than the frame.  THis is what I'd recommend

NOTE also The tow assembly is not really designed for a TORQUE loade. it's designed for a straight line tow.. Using the Drop (or Rise) hitch adapter (But not the Raised tong method) Puts a Torque load on the cross bar and can rip it right off the frame.. Did to me. But I was towing over 4,000 pounds at the time.

I was unable to find an example of the kind of thing I was looking for but its kind of a Gooseneck style, Just where a real Gooseneck is designed to attach to the bed for a truck. This is designed to attach to the step bumper.

Yes it is gonna drag sometimes. Maybe more often than you like. With the long rear overhang, there isn't anyway to avoid it.  Maybe you can use a bit less drop, say 4" or even 3". It's a compromise...

Back
Top Bottom