EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: A question about drop hitches  (Read 303 times)

John97031

• ---
A question about drop hitches
« on: August 23, 2017, 09:01:20 AM »
I'm getting ready to tow a 10ft motorcycle enclosed trailer behind my Jayco Greyhawk 26DS  class C for the first time. I did the drop calculations and it calls for a 5 inch drop. With the overhang from the rear axle this seems likely to hit. Especially going in and out of gas stations or anything resembling a driveway.

Anybody have experience towing behind a class C? And what was your experience and suggestions?
2017 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

Sloop

• ---
Re: A question about drop hitches
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 10:18:06 AM »
I tow a VW Bug behind my Class C, without a drop hitch, and it will occasionally drag when entering and exiting a steep driveway.  With a drop hitch I would expect it to occur more often.  I usually just take it slow and easy and try and enter/exit at an angle to lessen the degree of slope I am trying to overcome.  You might try a skid wheel to help with the situation.

https://www.etrailer.com/Skid-Wheels/Ultra-Fab-Products/UF48-979020.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsZ_euNLt1QIVRWx-Ch1psA1VEAQYBiABEgIJ9PD_BwE
1992 24' Fleetwood Class "C" Jamboree Rallye
Ford E350 Chassis
Toad - 1969 Volkswagen Baja Bug
San Marcos, CA

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »
I tow with a 4" drop.. now.. Question: Do you already own the trailer?

YOu can get trailers with tongs that have a "Offset" so they hook up HIGHER than the frame.  THis is what I'd recommend

NOTE also The tow assembly is not really designed for a TORQUE loade. it's designed for a straight line tow.. Using the Drop (or Rise) hitch adapter (But not the Raised tong method) Puts a Torque load on the cross bar and can rip it right off the frame.. Did to me. But I was towing over 4,000 pounds at the time.

I was unable to find an example of the kind of thing I was looking for but its kind of a Gooseneck style, Just where a real Gooseneck is designed to attach to the bed for a truck. This is designed to attach to the step bumper.

Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »
Yes it is gonna drag sometimes. Maybe more often than you like. With the long rear overhang, there isn't anyway to avoid it.  Maybe you can use a bit less drop, say 4" or even 3". It's a compromise...
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network