GPS App for Android Tablet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Free Spirit

I'm going to buy the Garmin RV 660LMT GPS. Until then, I need an app for my Android Samsung Tablet. It has a 10" screen and worked great for my boats GPS. No longer have boat and want to use it for a GPS on my RV. So, until I get the Garmin, what is a fairly decent App for my Android at a fairly decent price?

Android comes with Google Maps which is just about as good a GPS as you can get. And it is free, it is already there, you don't have to download it or install it.

I generally use Google Maps. A few weeks ago, Deb and I had it running and we were having a conversation. Deb mentioned something about she didn't exactly know what a Historical Society was. Google chimed in and started explaining what a Historical society was. I can't say that I like that feature.

I use Co-pilot Premium. The best feature it has is that the maps are loaded into your tablet so you don't need a cell signal while you're traveling. I think it costs less than  $10. You can subscribe to a traffic option for $10/year, but for that to work you need data from your cell phone provider.  Your tablet will have to be running Android 4 (I think) or later and have a good bit of memory to hold the maps, but you can download just the regions you'll be traveling in.

If your tablet has cell network access, Google Maps will be great for your RV travel... as long as you have cell service or download the maps for the region you in.  If your tablet doesn't have cell network access, you'll need to use your smart phone as a hot spot and get wifi access for your tablet... Or, use your smart phone directly for Google Maps...

If you get a new app for navigation you'll need to download maps... for instance "Back Country Navigator" which is great for off-road travel.  If you have wifi access, you can search for RV travel apps.

Download Tom Tom go for android, then download USA map. It's all self contained, no internet needed, just gps, which I assume your tablet has. If you want traffic as you travel then you do need a wifi connection. Been using it for 3 years, no longer use a GPS in motorhome, 10" screen much easier to see.

kdbgoat said:
. Google chimed in and started explaining what a Historical society was. I can't say that I like that feature.

You need to disable that feature. Disable the microphone if you must as well..  There are rather a few discussions elsewhere on these new "Voice Assist" products like Smart TV's and Alexia and Echo and of course Google..

1: The mic is always open and sending data to the net thus burning up your Gigabytes (Abet slowly but still)

2: Ever wonder who is "Listening in"

3: Some devices *Smart TV Laptop) they can access the CAMERA as well.

Of course if you care to hack the camera on this Laptop.. Enjoy the view of the sticky side of a peal and stick label

Back
Top Bottom