5th wheel stabilizer jack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

I am looking to buy a 5th wheel Tripod stabilizer jack.
Would this be a good investment or do you think I will be wasting my money?
I use the front landing gear, the rear stabilizer jacks, and X-Chocks on the wheels.
Some people say they didn't notice any change with the tripod stabilizer, where as some people swear by them.
Instead of the jack, I think I would be better off buying a tongue skirt or a cover.
What do you think.
Tripod or tongue skirt or cover?

I use to have the 2 legged model and hated it. Took up a lot of storage space. The three legged would be even worst. I dumped mine and went with the SteadyFast system I love it. I do not use wheel chocks. I can stabilize my rig in about 1 minute and nothing to store.  There's another brand out there which is very similar except it has many many more mechanical joints which add up to movement. Also the way the arms are attached to the RV, you need to make some structural additions. Not with the SteadyFast.  I made a couple of modifications to mine and the inventor was thinking about incorporating one of my ideas in the future. So if you do get one, let me know and I'll explain what I did.

http://www.steadyfast.com/?gclid=CPqYk6H67dUCFceFswodhCkLSg

This is the other one. I personally have talked to two people who had them and one said they were alright, which to me meant he wasn't real happy and the other one said he's sorry he purchased it.

Here it is:

https://www.lci1.com/jt-strong-arm

I've installed three sets of JTs.  One was on our last fifth wheel.  They work well and took out about 95% of the RV motion when parked.  Good quality.

The only thing I would like JT to change would be to weld the T Handle nuts to both the front and top of the larger bar for flexible installation.  Allowing the bars to rotate during instllation would work too but probably complicate the design and cost more.

Wow, I have owned this fiver for six months before finding out there are stabilizer jacks I have yet to deploy. But I still haven't deployed them because the RV is very stable without them deployed. Very heavy fiver with a triple axle. Very well built rig. ;D

I have a tripod and it works great. Plus, I need to remove my capture plate each time and then put it back to hook up. A bit of a pain in the ass, but inexpensive way to stabilize the trailer.

Stan

donuts said:
I have a tripod and it works great. Plus, I need to remove my capture plate each time and then put it back to hook up. A bit of a pain in the ass, but inexpensive way to stabilize the trailer.

Stan

What is a capture plate???

SeilerBird said:
Wow, I have owned this fiver for six months before finding out there are stabilizer jacks I have yet to deploy. But I still haven't deployed them because the RV is very stable without them deployed. Very heavy fiver with a triple axle. Very well built rig. ;D

Amazing how much difference there can be between rigs. Our TT was fairly stable but our 5th wheel shakes like a cheap carnival ride when walking through it!

I junked my pin stabilizer after a year or so. It did nothing for me on the heavy 6 wheel  Alfa. Mine is equipped with electrically controlled rear stabilizers and that is sufficient. We don't notice any annoying movement but we are on a concrete pad .

We had one 5W that seemed to wiggle a lot, so I bought a tripod pin stabilizer for it. Heavy, clunky thing, but it worked. Then I tried the X-type wheel chocks and no longer needed the bulky tripod jack.

Back
Top Bottom