EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Water Pump Won't Pump  (Read 262 times)

Grady

• ---
Water Pump Won't Pump
« on: August 23, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »
Our Trail Lite 2353 has a Shurflo 2088 pump.  Motor runs strong and quiet.  Just won't pump h2o.  Took it apart, very surprised to see three diaphragms.  Ha!  There is a bearing that rides on an eccentric on the motor shaft.  Possibly worn.  No visible cracks in diaphragms.  Should I replace pump assembly, or suck up the cost of a new unit?  Maybe the motor shaft is pooped too.
BTY, did figure out idiot proof way to reinsert carbon brushes!
Trail Lite 2353 Camper
Stalwart 2010 Chev Colorado 4X4
(It tows it!)

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
Re: Water Pump Won't Pump
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:28:01 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Grady. If it were me, I'd buy a new unit and save the old one for parts - if it was the same pump.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Grady

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 03:59:49 PM »
Thanks!  Sound advice!
Trail Lite 2353 Camper
Stalwart 2010 Chev Colorado 4X4
(It tows it!)

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:17:02 PM »
x2 I guess with enough time and patience it could be rebuilt but a new one will be easier and more reliable.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 09:31:31 PM »
Before you spend money on a new pump make sure that water is getting to the pump.  A small air leak, I.e. A loose fitting or a cracked piece of PEX pipe is all it takes.

Is there a filter?  Either a screened one near the pump or a whole house filter make sure they aren't clogged.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:49:23 AM by 8Muddypaws »
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Howard R

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 11:58:20 PM »
Our Trail Lite 2353 has a Shurflo 2088 pump.  Motor runs strong and quiet.  Just won't pump h2o.  Took it apart, very surprised to see three diaphragms.  Ha!  There is a bearing that rides on an eccentric on the motor shaft.  Possibly worn.  No visible cracks in diaphragms.  Should I replace pump assembly,

Here is an option, I just recently replaced mine.  Same thing, no apparent damage, but cured the pump running with little output.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IVEPLY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Howard
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 35R
V10   F53
2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
Minnesota

steve-n-sueC

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 04:05:36 PM »
On my Winnie, if the tank fill valve is in "tank fill" insted of "normal" the pump will run without water to the faucets. I would second the previous advice and eliminate all other possible causes before replacing what could be a perfectly good pump!
Steve-n-Sue
08 Adventurer 38j
13 GMC Terrain

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 04:11:12 PM »
Just replacing parts that might be defective is a poor way to troubleshoot. Find out exactly what the problem is and fix the real problem instead of throwing away money.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 11:03:51 AM »
Just replacing parts that might be defective is a poor way to troubleshoot.

But Tom, that's how they do it at the RV dealer shop. And they are the pros, right?  ;)
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Frank Hurst

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 04:05:21 PM »
True story: I do veterinary relief work. Was working at veterinary clinic that had a x-ray machine and an automatic film processor. They were getting poor quality radiographs. Call a x-ray tech. He started out by changing all the fluids in the tanks with no improvements. Then he changed the foot control and assured everyone that was the problem. Came back two days later and changed the mother board again assuring everyone that he had taken care of the problem. Still poor quality x-rays. The next day our vet tech was busy so I developed an x-ray myself. After getting in the dark room and turning out the light and opening the radiographs I could not find the switch for the "dark light" so I developed the radiographs in the dark. Bingo...great radiographs. The cover on the dark light was cracked. After spending $900.00 throwing parts a $10.00 dark light solved the problem.

Frank
Frank & Hilda Hurst
2003 Phaeton
2004 Malibu
Semi Retired Relief Veterinarian

Hosted by Over The Network