Television Guidance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Multiple answers
Over the air Digital TV with new "Wide Screen" ATSC capable Digital Receivers (Televisions)
Nothing needed save an app on your phone to help you point the antenna..  Now the BEST digital TV antenna made specifically for RV's (Best meaning longest range) is the Winegard Sensar IV with the SENSAR PRO option.. Roughly to this is a SENSAR II or III with the Wingman Add on and the Sensar PRO (Ask how to install if you have a Matrix Switch (Box of many buttons) if you have a wall plate with switch, light, antenna connector and 12 volt outlet it's a replacement for this box)

NOTE: The JACK, in some locations will get more stations,, but it has not the range.. (To compare the two think of a set of opera glasses perhaps 2 or 3 power Binoculars.. V'/s a 7-10 Power set of Field Glasses (Serious binoculars)  You see a "Wider" field with the cheaper Opera glasses.. But you see a lot farther with the Field Glasses.. Well the actual reasons the Sensar IV sees farther than the JACK are identical to the binoculars.  As field of vision narrows.. YOU SEE FARTHER.)

Same with older NTSC only televisions (IE Tube type or CRT) .. You will need a digital Adapter. they still sell 'em but getting harder to find, one for each TV. for Over the air.

Digital park cable: IF the TV has a QAM decoder (most do, ELEMENT TV do not) and the park's cable provider does not Encrypt. In theory all you need is 25 feet of coax (I suggest RG-6) or perhaps 50.

IF the TV is not QAM compatible (I'd be very surprised) or if the cable provider encrypts (Much more likely) You will need a DECODER box (Set top box) which you can likely rent from the park.

Finally Satellite TV. Which by the way has been Digital since day one.
Antenna (I suggest a ground mount. a ROOF MOUNT is handy in many places but a Ground Mount works when you are parked UNDER the evil signal eating tree)

A "Set Top Box" in this case it is called a Satallete (Dish or Direct) Receiver, and an account.

Finally the APP for the cell phone.. THe one I use is TV-ANtenna Helper Free  This is for Android. There are many others  I won't recommend a SPECIFIC app but this one will show  me a Map with me centered and lines to every station, Color coded as to how strong the signal should be. THis helps me with the initial "point" of the antenna and the Sensar Pro's many features fine tune like you can't believe

Somewhat helpful, and I deeply appreciate the effort, but understand I am VERY layman and really have no idea what your describing.  I have a 32 inch flat screen TV that I want to mount in my RV.  If the campground provides a WIFI signal, could I buy something at BestBuy that would enable my TV to access movies thru the provided WIFI network to watch movies with my Amazon "Prime Membership" account, or somehow use my Amazon "Firestick"?  This is all really new to me, and I apologize for my naivety...

Don't expect to watch movies through a campground WiFi -- often you're lucky to be able to check email or browse simple web sites. And in the rare circumstance where you might have enough bandwidth to watch a movie, you'd deny service to others in the campground, and your watching would likely soon degrade anyway.

...but understand I am VERY layman and really have no idea what your describing.
He was describing ways you could get TV service, either through cable (if the campground has it available), an antenna for over-the-air watching (with antenna descriptions), or via a satellite service (DirecTV or Dish). If you have service on your cell phone with enough bandwidth to watch movies (it'll vary from place to place) then there might be a gadget to hook that to your TV (not up my alley).

The Sensar and Jack things he referenced are types of over-the-air TV antenna that mount on an RV.

If you're really into movies the best bet would be to invest in a DVD or a Blue Ray player and install it in the RV. I just replaced the sensar on my coach with the upgraded Winegard Sensar IV, it was only a few dollars more than the wingman.

Streaming tv over the internet is a different animal that watch "over the air" broadcast tv using the RV's antenna or connecting to park cable (if available). Each involves some different connections and effort.

If you have good performing internet access (park cable is rarely adequate), you can use the same sort of "streaming video" device you use at home, i.e. the Firestick. It works exactly the same way, but YOU need to provide an internet connection. A few better parks have good wifi that would do it, but in most is is marginal at best.

Your RV probably has a roof antenna, but if not you can add one. Winegard's Sensar "batwing" or Winegards fancy digital Rayzar are two good choices. They hook to your  tv's coax input jack.

If the RV park offers cable tv via coax to the site, you can connect the coax to the tv's inlet jack and use the tv's digital (ATSC)  tuner to select from available stations. The park usually provides a list of channels.

Last, you can use a DVD player & DVD disc, or (on many newer tvs) a USB memory stick, with stored movies.

Ok you gave the added info I need to be more precise.
32" WIdescreen FLATSCREEN TV
THis means the TV is a modern TV and is compatable with over the air Digital (ATSC) Television
IF it is NOT also an ELEMENT (Brand name) then it SHOULD be compatable with digital Cable as well

SO. does your RV have an existing TV antenna.. IF so describe it

THe Winegard Sensar line is what we call the "Batwing" it has two metal wings with a central plastic body  It has a crank inside the RV that raises it up and then you pull down on a ring (Above and aroudn the crank) and rotate.. IF this is what you have I recommend the WINGMAN ADD ON. you can do it, a pair of common pliers may (or not) be needed. that's all.

THe wall plate inside I"d replace with teh SENSAR PRO (Read that (I DID Replace....)

and the Antenna Helper app for my phone.  This app finds the best starting direction

IF. you are the Flint-Port Huron MI area I can show you.. alas if not

Other antennas.. Well Winegard made a "Flying Saucer" or two. I DO NOT recommend these.

And there are a few other makes. 

If the park offers cable TV then it's up to the cable TV provider,  IF they encrypt as some (I think Cox) does. you will need to rent a box.  Otherwise MOST modern TV's can handle it directr.

That would explain the crank shaft protruding from the ceiling just behind the front shotgun seat. Found a little handle for it in the overhead, but will not turn.  Will have to get on top and see why the antenna will not extend. 
  So I will pursue a digital antenna and/or try to figure out some way to simply use the external antenna arm thingy.  We have PLENTY of DVD players in the house, and a small TV already installed.  Thanks everyone!

First check inside that the antenna rotation plate (not the handle but the plate under handle with  ridges) is seated. There is an arrow shape alignment spot.  Pull down plate to set if not aligned.

I am not positive but think must be aligned to allow antenna to crank up and down.

Jennifer

B737doc said:
  That would explain the crank shaft protruding from the ceiling just behind the front shotgun seat. Found a little handle for it in the overhead, but will not turn.  Will have to get on top and see why the antenna will not extend. 
  So I will pursue a digital antenna and/or try to figure out some way to simply use the external antenna arm thingy.  We have PLENTY of DVD players in the house, and a small TV already installed.  Thanks everyone!
If the antenna hasn't been used in a while you may have to get on the roof and help it while some one cranks it up. Mine wasn't used for a few years when i bought it, I used some silicone spray and it works good now. All the wingegaurd parts are available to purchase sperately if needed.

Also LUBRICATE the beast.. Likely corrosion has set in and jammed it up big time

The assembly should include a Ring (Big plastic washer with a pointer) with the antenna down and in the cradle the pointer should line up with a 2nd pointer on teh part attached to teh ceiling (This is the "Turn here before lowering)

Below that ring is a spring

Then the crank which is attached using a set screw opposite the handle NOTE Get a spare crank.

As someone else said have a partner work with you so one can gently lift the antenna head while the other cranks to get it up then lube everything

You can likely find a copy of the manual.. Hold on  Yes you can find a PDF manual at

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2452013.pdf

It shows the antenna parts and where to lubricate and everything

IT DOES NOT show the Sensar Pro (but it does show the standard wall plate) You can get the Sensar Pro manual "Nearby" (Same database different document) I recommend the Sensar Pro if you want Over the Air TV.

External antenna arm on top DOES Extend and retract well. TV came on (once I plugged it in).  Ordered a rotating 150 mile range external antenna from Wal-Mart to attach to antenna arm. Wiring and connectors appear fine. Thanks all!!!

If you want to stream from your roku or similar device I would get the AT&T Mobley, you get unlimited download for $20 month.  I bought one a month ago and have had no issues with it.  This is a cellular device the uses the cell signal to give you wifi (you can connect up to 5 devices.  Works Great.

Joe

Unfortunately, the AT&T Mobley and it's $20 per month unlimited data plan have been out of stock for about a month now and there's no indication if or when it's going to be available again.

B737doc said:
  Bought a "motorized" digital antenna,  picking up all local channels now.

I bought one of those for our old MH.. It lasted about 3-4 months..  The motor quit.. then the antenna started coming apart.
They are not made for a traveling MH ...

Worked good when new though... We got a LOT more channels.. 50-60 channels in some places...

Bob

I took the old analog platform thing off the retractable arm, sawed off a broom handle and stuck down in the arm, other end attached to my new antenna.  I don't actually drive the motorhome with the antenna attached! 

Back
Top Bottom