Tiffin/Newmar '17 chassis upgrades?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldedit

We're looking at Newmar Ventana 34 and Tiffin Phaeton 37PA Red coaches.

What chassis upgrades would you recommend to improve handling, stability, if any?

I don't know about the Tiffin, but on the Newmar I think you'd have to upgrade to a Dutch Star or maybe a New Aire. The Ventana is an air suspension and, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't have the "easy" handling add-ons available like many of the gassers do. I'd think a multistage suspension (likely factory only) might be the only thing (my Beaver had two stage -- nice) that might work.

Of course now that I've said that, someone will correct me...  ::) 8) :D

Larry N. said:
I don't know about the Tiffin, but on the Newmar I think you'd have to upgrade to a Dutch Star or maybe a New Aire. The Ventana is an air suspension and, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't have the "easy" handling add-ons available like many of the gassers do. I'd think a multistage suspension (likely factory only) might be the only thing (my Beaver had two stage -- nice) that might work.

Of course now that I've said that, someone will correct me...  ::) 8) :D

Thanks, Larry. We met at the forum rally in Palo Duro Canyon Rally a couple of years ago. The Allegro 37PA also has an air suspension. How does your Newmar do in the wind and when passing or being passed by semis?

Don

It does very well, Don. The so-called "Comfort Steer" actually does help with crosswind gusts and trucks passing by (I usually leave mine set about the middle, but increase it a little in gusty winds). Mostly I get little twitches, and I find at the end of a day's drive I'm not as tired as I was after a similar day in the Beaver. Compared to the Bounder I used to have-- well, there IS no comparison. Stuff that made me drop my speed (on the Interstate) to 30 mph or less is no big deal in the Ventana (nor the Beaver, for that matter, but it had a tag axle to help).

Palo Duro -- ah, yes, a wonderful time.

Larry N. said:
It does very well, Don. The so-called "Comfort Steer" actually does help with crosswind gusts and trucks passing by (I usually leave mine set about the middle, but increase it a little in gusty winds). Mostly I get little twitches, and I find at the end of a day's drive I'm not as tired as I was after a similar day in the Beaver. Compared to the Bounder I used to have-- well, there IS no comparison. Stuff that made me drop my speed (on the Interstate) to 30 mph or less is no big deal in the Ventana (nor the Beaver, for that matter, but it had a tag axle to help).

Palo Duro -- ah, yes, a wonderful time.

We're in Silt with a Newmar Ventana 34 and a 37. The owners are very happy with the driving behavior of their units and the customer support they get from Newmar. One is in his second Newmar. They use the Comfort Steer and like it. So we'll continue to consider going that route.

I would not expect that either one needs any chassis upgrades. Both have a mid-grade diesel pusher chassis and those are usually pretty well designed to begin with.

My main concern would be that some models & floor plans may be a bit overgrown for the chassis they ride on. That is usually indicated by a relatively low carrying capacity (OCCC). Sometimes the coach builder gets carried away adding features to their entry DP models and overload the chassis that was originally chosen for it. Sometimes the base specs are fine but options add a lot of weight, so brochure numbers may not be very accurate.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I would not expect that either one needs any chassis upgrades. Both have a mid-grade diesel pusher chassis and those are usually pretty well designed to begin with.

My main concern would be that some models & floor plans may be a bit overgrown for the chassis they ride on. That is usually indicated by a relatively low carrying capacity (OCCC). Sometimes the coach builder gets carried away adding features to their entry DP models and overload the chassis that was originally chosen for it. Sometimes the base specs are fine but options add a lot of weight, so brochure numbers may not be very accurate.

Thanks, Gary. As usual, you're a terrific resource for the board.

Upon further reflection of our situation, we've decided that until we decide we want to live in a motorhome four or five months a year, our 25-foot Reyo/Via is the perfect traveller for us. It's equipped with new tires, batteries, a sway bar and upgraded shocks. And the cost of license plates, insurance, maintenance and storage are much lower than they would be on a new unit.

Funny how shopping can get under your skin and make you do silly things, like up size your motorhome when you probably should be down sizing or doing something else.

Back
Top Bottom