I-70 at Glenwood Springs, CO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henkelphoto

Hi guys!

I was planning to drive (without trailer) from Kansas City to Las Vegas in about a month using I-70. However, I recently talked to a friend who said the bridge construction was causing traffic jams on I-70 at all hours. She hadn't been that way in the past couple of weeks, though so I was wondering if anyone had an update on traffic problems in the area.

Thanks!

henkelphoto said:
Hi guys!

I was planning to drive (without trailer) from Kansas City to Las Vegas in about a month using I-70. However, I recently talked to a friend who said the bridge construction was causing traffic jams on I-70 at all hours. She hadn't been that way in the past couple of weeks, though so I was wondering if anyone had an update on traffic problems in the area.

Thanks!

It's a gamble, but mostly a problem for Eastbound traffic. Eastbound thru traffic hasn't been a big problem, so far.
Unless, of course you are wanting to go into town.

We just left Glenwood Springs early because getting into town from our campground east of town was the pits.  Through traffic on I-70 wasn't all that bad.  I've never seen a construction area where construction workers are placed at various intersections for the purpose of telling people to turn around and what street to use to find their destination!  That's off the freeway in town near Grand Avenue.  We actually saw two of these guys twice and turned around in the same place twice!  It's a little crazy in town.  The other odd thing was the detour signs for a Colorado route that meant nothing to us as visitors.

I wouldn't worry about just driving through, especially at odd times or the weekend.  Glenwood Springs basically has two exits off I-70, east and west.  The eastern one is at the Grand Avenue bridge that's closed and there are long lines of traffic getting on/off at the western exit.  I suspect it's worse at commute time.  This construction is supposed to go into November 2017.

ArdraF

Thanks guys, sounds like not much of a problem for someone driving straight through.

Back
Top Bottom