Ugly RV Furniture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wonderlust

Am I the only one? The only RVer that hates the standard RV furniture - HUGE - HEAVY - BROWN. I've been looking for small lightweight swivel chairs with bright cheerful or artistic upholstery. Of course, not sure if I can get the new chairs thru' the door. Any ideas where I can find alternate furniture? Any stories from like-minded RVers?

Yep RV furniture is ugly. I have always replaced mine with standard residential furniture. It is not hard to find things that will fit through the door. Recliners usually come in two pieces, the back and the bottom.

I want to take the Hide a Bed or whatever you call the thing and replace with anything, but wife tells me not to do anything cus when we go to sell it, we will be limiting our audience.

I do agree with you in that RV furnishing and decor is something else.  You can find chairs/etc to fit as stated above.

Yes sludge/sand/sadness brown is the favorite color of all RV manufacturers. God only knows why. May I suggest IKEA for furniture. I traded my awful dinette for a laptop desk from ther and faced it out the window. It's my favorite spot nowe. It's very light and was very inexpensive. They have a few chairs that match what you're looking for and everything is flat packed, so no issue with the door.

retusn said:
I want to take the Hide a Bed or whatever you call the thing and replace with anything, but wife tells me not to do anything cus when we go to sell it, we will be limiting our audience.
I don't agree with that at all. Change it to what you want. No one buys an RV or not buys an RV due to furniture.

RV manufacturers are like realtors: they want to make sure everything is "neutral" and "inoffensive" to the majority of buyers. As soon as you get into any specific look, color or styling, you narrow the market.  Whether that's a lot or a little limitation depends on how far out of the styling mainstream you go. One of my sisters-in-law loves the old farmhouse look, while another leans to chrome-modern. Where are you in the styling picture?

That said, you can buy whatever you like and redecorate at will. It doesn't need to come from an RV furniture outlet, so shop where you like. Most sofas and chairs come apart these days, to make shipping and delivery easier. Typically at least the back comes off, usually without much difficulty once you know the trick for that brand. The furniture stores can help.

You can also paint and wallpaper, change cabinets, and do most anything else you would do at home to redecorate.

retusn said:

I do agree with you in that RV furnishing and decor is something else.  You can find chairs/etc to fit as stated above.
Our dealer advised us not to remove the horrid jack knife sofa since it would be easier to sell later with more sleeping space. I figure I bought this trailer for my use, and I wanted recliners instead of the sofa. We removed the sofa and bought two recliners from Ikea that are much more comfortable. I have had 3 lovely years with it so far, and I don't regret it at all. If it takes me a month or two longer to sell it in a few years, so be it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom